Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sets charge limit to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t get my head around the charging tip in app.
my MY says 80% for tip
my wife’s M3 says 90%
my friends MY on same update as mine says 90%
my dads 2020 m3 says 90%

not sure what triggers the recommendation. Anyone have any update on this matter

I can’t get my head around the charging tip in app.
my MY says 80% for tip
my wife’s M3 says 90%
my friends MY on same update as mine says 90%
my dads 2020 m3 says 90%
Its probably the version of the mobile app.
Check the versions/ update the phone app, and same operating system (ios / android etc)
not sure what triggers the recommendation. Anyone have any update on this matter

IMG_0598.jpeg

Both wife and I are in latest iOS version. Latest Tesla app update as well. The thing is, in my car, iOS aside, it says 80% recommended. Which would rule out iOS version. For a moment I thought only model 3 recommend 90% but my friend MY long range also says 90%.

I’m wondering if it’s unique to info captured from the car.

71337853503__D195AFA1-E5D6-47B1-9D16-4FE5F5BDA47A.jpeg

Reactions: bckelowna
For the longevity (or rather degradation rate) of the battery it really do not matter if it says 80 or 90%. There will not be any big differences for the cars often being at 80 and 90%.

In theory or by principles , 80% is slightly better than 90% but not bu much.

I would say that the first place to find information about jow to charge is the manual of the car, and not in the app.

Its clear that some of these cars have the same battery type (82 kWh Panasonic 2170L) and the manual still (for now at least) state the same thing as before:
“Keep charging level under 90% for daily drives”.

I have seen signs of the Panasonic 82kWh battery (2170L cells) degrade little faster than the older model 3 battery. It is probably a little bit more sensitive so a adjusted recommendation for the highest daily SOC level would not surprise.
On the other hand a lot of research tests shows that 80% causes the worst calendar aging so if any I would think 60-70% would be a better idea.
(55% or less would technically be best but it is not likely that Tesla put a advice resulting in so low practical range).

To reduce the degradation rate, the battery should not be at a high SOC for long times (55% or lower makes a huge difference).
So the charging level should be set as low as possible, and the char should be charged often (reduces the needed charge level). Charging ”late” so the charging session is finished shortly before the drive is very good also.

IMG-1725.png

After updating last night to software version 2023.26.7, the charge tip recommendation changed to 80%. I'm sure it was the update because I checked it just prior and it was stilll 90.
I installed 2023.26.7 today and got 80% as well.

The app doesnt say anything as long the slider is at 80% or below. Only show the message above 80%.
This should mean that Tesla doesnt have any negative thing to say if using any value below 81%, so effectively 50-80%.

This is also in line with the earlier versions of the manual, except for 90% being changed to 80%. Some manuals are updated at this moment but not all.
After the update they seem to point to the on screen instructions.
Tesla recommends limiting the Battery's full charge level to below 90% for Daily use

IMG-1725.png

After updating last night to software version 2023.26.7, the charge tip recommendation changed to 80%. I'm sure it was the update because I checked it just prior and it was stilll 90.
I agree!

Do, as it turns out my wife’s model 3 was NOT on the latest car software. Hers read 90% before the update. After the update it recommends now 80%.

My dads car hasn’t been updated and once it updated a few days ago, his model 3 as well now recommends 80%.

So as it turns out the car update will read 80% as a tip.

Now I wonder why. I know lower in percentage is better overall for the battery however I, wondering if Tesla saw that too many owners where charging to 90% and wanted to protect themselves by recommending to charge to 80%. No statement on this from Tesla. In either case 80% it is for me Once in a while I would charge to 90 but never a need.