Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sets charge limit to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do

I do care about preserving max range. It's the whole point of my thread. I've only had the car two weeks now and am seeing many different and varying opinions, some of which go against the manual. I'm trying to sift through it all and figure out what's best as much of it is conflicting. I do appreciate everyone's input, yours included.

Currently, I have charge limit set to 75% and am not plugging in till it drops to roughly 30%. At least that's what I'm doing right now. RT commute is roughly 40 miles weekdays. I have it scheduled to leave by 6:30 Am, with no preconditioning, cause we are in a warm spell right now. I'd like to keep it plugged in as the manual says but that would mean it will charge to threshold every weekday before 6:30, even if I only used 5%. There is no app setting granularity which allows me to skip charging for a day or two other than keeping it unplugged, yet the manual says what I posted above. I'm not trying to fight the manual too much and go 3rd party app either. I guess I'm looking for a sweet spot, or maybe the novelty of it all will wear off, I'll stop giving a F and just plug it in every night.

90-C33812-8492-4625-98-D7-1-C0049-D5-B872.png
New Tesla Model Y owner here myself. I think my head is just about to explode LOL. I set mine to charge up to 80% eventhough the daily trip recommended up to 90%.

This week I charge it up to 90% and see how many percentage I'll use to commute back and forth to work. So I'll have some rough idea. When to plug it back in.

I'm sure the range will be higher on the newer model 3 to 4 years from now, by then I'll trade it in and get a new one. So, I'm not gonna get stressed over the batteries degredation for now. Just gonna enjoy of not having to stop at the gas station on Sunday. Plus there's a free Level 2 charging right by my house. I can just leave th car there and charge.

I'm really hoping they put some chargers up at my work. There's 4 or 5 tesla here and some Mach E.

New Tesla Model Y owner here myself. I think my head is just about to explode LOL. I set mine to charge up to 80% eventhough the daily trip recommended up to 90%.

This week I charge it up to 90% and see how many percentage I'll use to commute back and forth to work. So I'll have some rough idea. When to plug it back in.

I'm sure the range will be higher on the newer model 3 to 4 years from now, by then I'll trade it in and get a new one. So, I'm not gonna get stressed over the batteries degredation for now. Just gonna enjoy of not having to stop at the gas station on Sunday. Plus there's a free Level 2 charging right by my house. I can just leave th car there and charge.

I'm really hoping they put some chargers up at my work. There's 4 or 5 tesla here and some Mach E.
Hey, that's great!
It's great to hear that you are enjoying your Tesla! Yes, if you car recommends 90% for daily usage, that will change when your car has an update. Once it updates, your car will change to 50%-80% daily and 80%-100% trip.

I agree technology, EV's in the near future will have faster speed of charging, more location, longer and longer and longer range, etc... Enjoy your car now and when the time is right and it makes sense, you welcome a new car home.

If you don't have a home charger, it's great to hear you have level 2 chargers near your home. Welcome!

Hey, that's great!
It's great to hear that you are enjoying your Tesla! Yes, if you car recommends 90% for daily usage, that will change when your car has an update. Once it updates, your car will change to 50%-80% daily and 80%-100% trip.

I agree technology, EV's in the near future will have faster speed of charging, more location, longer and longer and longer range, etc... Enjoy your car now and when the time is right and it makes sense, you welcome a new car home.

If you don't have a home charger, it's great to hear you have level 2 chargers near your home. Welcome!
Do tesla send out a notification for an update? My car is parked in the garage with decent Wi-Fi connection. Does it do it automatically or you have to manually installing it.

Do tesla send out a notification for an update? My car is parked in the garage with decent Wi-Fi connection. Does it do it automatically or you have to manually installing it.
You will receive a notification on your phone (from the Tesla app) that a software update is available after the update has been downloaded to your Tesla vehicle and is ready to be installed. In general updates take an estimated 25 minutes to run, complete (sometimes longer.) You can either specify that the update should be installed at 0200 (your local time) or when you initiate the install. You have ~2 minutes once you initiate a software installation to cancel the install. Your Tesla vehicle will not be able to be driven until the update has been completed. (I just installed 2023.26.8 this evening.)

Reactions: Tha_Ape
You will receive a notification on your phone (from the Tesla app) that a software update is available after the update has been downloaded to your Tesla vehicle and is ready to be installed. In general updates take an estimated 25 minutes to run, complete (sometimes longer.) You can either specify that the update should be installed at 0200 (your local time) or when you initiate the install. You have ~2 minutes once you initiate a software installation to cancel the install. Your Tesla vehicle will not be able to be driven until the update has been completed. (I just installed 2023.26.8 this evening.)
Thank you. Read some of the post in here that said it takes awhile for new car to get the update. My car is only 3 weeks old so I guess I won't be getting it anytime soon.

Just took delivery on my MYLR three days ago. Tesla has the charge limit set to 90%. I see many here set it to 80%. I do have a garage with a wall connector installed and set to full 48A charging. Would it be more beneficial for the battery if I dial it back to 80%? Daily work commute is about 40 mi RT. I've only charged it a few times and the max charge so far is 66 mi.
Always recharge at home off my Tesla Solar Panels primarily. 80% setting unless we are going on a road trip to LA to visit Grandma.

Thank you. Read some of the post in here that said it takes awhile for new car to get the update. My car is only 3 weeks old so I guess I won't be getting it anytime soon.
I got my first update 2 weeks after I got my car (June), then 12, 14, 11, 8, and 17 days after each successive update (im tracking it).

That said, I haven't gotten an update since 8/8 and I'm on "advanced". You'll get one, but I doubt it will be a long time to wait.

I got my first update 2 weeks after I got my car (June), then 12, 14, 11, 8, and 17 days after each successive update (im tracking it).

That said, I haven't gotten an update since 8/8 and I'm on "advanced". You'll get one, but I doubt it will be a long time to wait.
I just changed my software update to advance. It's been a month since I got the car. As long as it's incremental update then I'm not gonna worry much about it..

Just came across this article and the study it mentions. This should be comforting to those that supercharge a lot.

"DC fast charging makes EV road trips practical, but owners are cautioned that frequent fast-charging can also cause battery degradation. That isn't necessarily the case, a new study has found.

Recurrent, which produces battery health reports for used EVs, studied fast charging on over 12,500 Tesla vehicles in the U.S. Cars that were fast-charged at least 90% of the time were compared to cars that were fast-charged less than 10% of the time. Analysts found "no statistically significant difference in range degradation" between the two groups.

Recurrent noted that it is currently conducting similar research for non-Tesla EVs, and said it's still difficult to quantify the effect of frequent fast-charging on batteries over longer periods of time exceeding five or more years.

Further analysis could prove Tesla to be the exception, but for now analysts believe any EV with sufficiently robust thermal, voltage, and battery management systems can protect its battery from damage due to fast-charging.

Earlier studies, looking at models that were more susceptible to heat buildup, found that total miles makes more of a difference than the amount fast-charged. More recently, research has found that, as long as you avoid charging in extreme temperatures and charging all the way to 100%, fast-charging isn't as damaging as previously thought.

Recurrent echoes that advice, telling EV drivers not to fast-charge in extreme heat, to precondition batteries before fast-charging in cold weather, and to avoid fast-charging to a very high state of charge. The company also recommends not fast-charging from a very low state of charge. In both extremes of state of charge, higher battery resistance could cause damage.

While fast-charging may not be a problem in most cases, battery degradation is quite predictable over the life of a vehicle. It's unlikely to brick your EV, however, and with newer cells and packs, researchers and the battery companies are continuing to learn how to better predict degradation."

The study: Full Speed Ahead: EV Study Reveals Impacts of Fast Charging

Full Speed Ahead: EV Study Reveals Impacts of Fast Charging​

August 28, 2023​

Blake Hough
Written by

Blake Hough​

647f33eab4328c0f077f9e90_Recurrent%20original%20research-v2.webp

⚡ GET OFFERS FROM EV EXPERTS!
One of the biggest concerns with fast charging is that it can, theoretically, damage the battery by pushing too much energy into your car too quickly. This would lead to irreparable, long-term range loss.
Recurrent studied fast charging on over 12,500 Tesla vehicles in the US to learn if the software and safety mechanisms in the battery management system (BMS) prevent damage to the battery. With Labor Day travel coming up, this is the perfect time to share what is fact and what is fiction when it comes to fast charging.

Will fast charging hurt my EV battery?​

The short answer is that occasional fast charging is fine.
We compared cars that fast charge at least 90% of the time to cars that fast charge less than 10% of the time. In other words, people who almost exclusively fast charge their car and people who very rarely fast charge. The results show no statistically significant difference in range degradation between Teslas that fast charge more than 90% of the time and those that fast charge less than 10% of the time.
Impact of Fast Charging on Model 3s in the Recurrent Community

Impact of Fast Charging on Model Ys in the Recurrent Community

In the charts above, the y-axis shows the percentage of original range as shown on the cars’ dashboards. Note that the dashboard range in Teslas is different from its Real Range, which is a value that factors in the range effects of temperature, drive style, and terrain.
Initial analysis by the team at Recurrent suggests that the study findings can be applied across Tesla models and other EV manufacturers, although detailed research is being conducted on other popular vehicles that Recurrent supports. In short, the robust thermal, voltage, and battery management systems that EV makers have invested in do protect their batteries from damage with routine fast charger use.

When is fast charging more likely to cause damage?​

There are several times when fast charging may have a bigger impact on your EV battery.
  • Avoid fast charging in extreme heat without preconditioning your battery. Preconditioning is when the car’s thermal management system pre-cools the battery so it can accept a higher charge rate without overheating. Typically, if you set your car’s navigation to a fast charge station, the battery will be preconditioned.
  • Similarly, precondition the battery before fast charging in extreme cold. Often, driving a bit before fast charging is enough to warm up the battery, or get to the fast charger using your car’s navigation.
  • Avoid fast charging your EV at very low states or very high states of charge, since battery resistance will be higher.

DC fast charging: fact or fiction?​

Fiction
  • Routinely fast charging your car from 0-100% is fine.
  • The kilowatt (kW) rating of a fast charger controls how fast an EV can charge at it.
  • Any amount of fast charging will cause permanent damage to your battery.
  • Fast charging in the cold will cause lithium plating.
Fact
  • Almost all electric vehicles have software that will curtail fast charge speeds above 80% state of charge. In fact, it’s usually recommended to switch to a level 2 charger for the last 20%, as it may be as quick - or quicker.

A level 2 charger, even a public one, is often cheaper, too.
  • In each different EV model, software and battery limitations control how fast the car can charge. Charge speed is also dependent on temperature, state of charge, and even battery age.
  • It’s still difficult to quantify precisely how much routine fast charging affects battery health long term – 5, 10, 20 years – but it’s fine in small doses.
  • EV batteries have a lot of software and hardware to protect them and ensure they are the right temperature before accepting high voltage to avoid lithium plating.

Quick refresher on DC fast charging​

Your electric vehicle battery uses direct current (DC) power. However, the electricity that comes from the grid (or from an outlet) is alternating current (AC). There are two different types of charging, depending on where the electricity is converted from AC to DC. In home charging, which is AC charging, the car’s on-board charger converts the AC electricity to DC and then sends it to the battery. The on-board charger has a built in speed limit on how quickly it can do this. The maximum speed is usually around 11 kW, which means AC charging can generally add 20-40 miles per hour.
On the other hand, DC charging happens when the conversion to DC energy happens outside of the car. This is almost exclusively reserved for public charging stations, and the ones that cost quite a bit, at that. Since the electricity going into the car bypasses the on-board charging, it can refill the battery much faster. The current top speed is around 30 minutes to recharge 80%.

• Informative
Reactions: 804son
Just came across this article and the study it mentions. This should be comforting to those that supercharge a lot.

"DC fast charging makes EV road trips practical, but owners are cautioned that frequent fast-charging can also cause battery degradation. That isn't necessarily the case, a new study has found.

Recurrent, which produces battery health reports for used EVs, studied fast charging on over 12,500 Tesla vehicles in the U.S. Cars that were fast-charged at least 90% of the time were compared to cars that were fast-charged less than 10% of the time. Analysts found "no statistically significant difference in range degradation" between the two groups.

Recurrent noted that it is currently conducting similar research for non-Tesla EVs, and said it's still difficult to quantify the effect of frequent fast-charging on batteries over longer periods of time exceeding five or more years.

Further analysis could prove Tesla to be the exception, but for now analysts believe any EV with sufficiently robust thermal, voltage, and battery management systems can protect its battery from damage due to fast-charging.

Earlier studies, looking at models that were more susceptible to heat buildup, found that total miles makes more of a difference than the amount fast-charged. More recently, research has found that, as long as you avoid charging in extreme temperatures and charging all the way to 100%, fast-charging isn't as damaging as previously thought.

Recurrent echoes that advice, telling EV drivers not to fast-charge in extreme heat, to precondition batteries before fast-charging in cold weather, and to avoid fast-charging to a very high state of charge. The company also recommends not fast-charging from a very low state of charge. In both extremes of state of charge, higher battery resistance could cause damage.

While fast-charging may not be a problem in most cases, battery degradation is quite predictable over the life of a vehicle. It's unlikely to brick your EV, however, and with newer cells and packs, researchers and the battery companies are continuing to learn how to better predict degradation."

The study: Full Speed Ahead: EV Study Reveals Impacts of Fast Charging

Full Speed Ahead: EV Study Reveals Impacts of Fast Charging​

August 28, 2023​

Blake Hough
Written by

Blake Hough

647f33eab4328c0f077f9e90_Recurrent%20original%20research-v2.webp

⚡ GET OFFERS FROM EV EXPERTS!
One of the biggest concerns with fast charging is that it can, theoretically, damage the battery by pushing too much energy into your car too quickly. This would lead to irreparable, long-term range loss.
Recurrent studied fast charging on over 12,500 Tesla vehicles in the US to learn if the software and safety mechanisms in the battery management system (BMS) prevent damage to the battery. With Labor Day travel coming up, this is the perfect time to share what is fact and what is fiction when it comes to fast charging.

Will fast charging hurt my EV battery?​

The short answer is that occasional fast charging is fine.
We compared cars that fast charge at least 90% of the time to cars that fast charge less than 10% of the time. In other words, people who almost exclusively fast charge their car and people who very rarely fast charge. The results show no statistically significant difference in range degradation between Teslas that fast charge more than 90% of the time and those that fast charge less than 10% of the time.

In the charts above, the y-axis shows the percentage of original range as shown on the cars’ dashboards. Note that the dashboard range in Teslas is different from its Real Range, which is a value that factors in the range effects of temperature, drive style, and terrain.
Initial analysis by the team at Recurrent suggests that the study findings can be applied across Tesla models and other EV manufacturers, although detailed research is being conducted on other popular vehicles that Recurrent supports. In short, the robust thermal, voltage, and battery management systems that EV makers have invested in do protect their batteries from damage with routine fast charger use.

When is fast charging more likely to cause damage?​

There are several times when fast charging may have a bigger impact on your EV battery.
  • Avoid fast charging in extreme heat without preconditioning your battery. Preconditioning is when the car’s thermal management system pre-cools the battery so it can accept a higher charge rate without overheating. Typically, if you set your car’s navigation to a fast charge station, the battery will be preconditioned.
  • Similarly, precondition the battery before fast charging in extreme cold. Often, driving a bit before fast charging is enough to warm up the battery, or get to the fast charger using your car’s navigation.
  • Avoid fast charging your EV at very low states or very high states of charge, since battery resistance will be higher.

DC fast charging: fact or fiction?​

Fiction
  • Routinely fast charging your car from 0-100% is fine.
  • The kilowatt (kW) rating of a fast charger controls how fast an EV can charge at it.
  • Any amount of fast charging will cause permanent damage to your battery.
  • Fast charging in the cold will cause lithium plating.
Fact
  • Almost all electric vehicles have software that will curtail fast charge speeds above 80% state of charge. In fact, it’s usually recommended to switch to a level 2 charger for the last 20%, as it may be as quick - or quicker.

A level 2 charger, even a public one, is often cheaper, too.
  • In each different EV model, software and battery limitations control how fast the car can charge. Charge speed is also dependent on temperature, state of charge, and even battery age.
  • It’s still difficult to quantify precisely how much routine fast charging affects battery health long term – 5, 10, 20 years – but it’s fine in small doses.
  • EV batteries have a lot of software and hardware to protect them and ensure they are the right temperature before accepting high voltage to avoid lithium plating.

Quick refresher on DC fast charging​

Your electric vehicle battery uses direct current (DC) power. However, the electricity that comes from the grid (or from an outlet) is alternating current (AC). There are two different types of charging, depending on where the electricity is converted from AC to DC. In home charging, which is AC charging, the car’s on-board charger converts the AC electricity to DC and then sends it to the battery. The on-board charger has a built in speed limit on how quickly it can do this. The maximum speed is usually around 11 kW, which means AC charging can generally add 20-40 miles per hour.
On the other hand, DC charging happens when the conversion to DC energy happens outside of the car. This is almost exclusively reserved for public charging stations, and the ones that cost quite a bit, at that. Since the electricity going into the car bypasses the on-board charging, it can refill the battery much faster. The current top speed is around 30 minutes to recharge 80%.
Why would they conclude: "The short answer is that occasional fast charging is fine" when their data shows that fast charging > 90% of the time is fine?

Also, the study finds that we should avoid fast charging at low SoC: "Avoid fast charging your EV at very low states or very high states of charge, since battery resistance will be higher." Has this been corroborated anywhere else?

Why would they conclude: "The short answer is that occasional fast charging is fine" when their data shows that fast charging > 90% of the time is fine?

Also, the study finds that we should avoid fast charging at low SoC: "Avoid fast charging your EV at very low states or very high states of charge, since battery resistance will be higher." Has this been corroborated anywhere else?
I thought the exact same when reading through the article and was about to ask. You beat me to it.
I agree, doesn't make much sense.
Besides that, there is no data for "never" fast charging.

Reactions: johnny_cakes