Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sets charge limit to 90%

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Charging Best Practices!
Maintaining Li-ion Batteries - Real-world Recommendations for BEVs. These recommendations were revised recently in light of conversations with experts and long-time BEV owners on this forum.
Thanks for sharing.
Not sure what exactly the “charging cycle (day)” column means
Does it simply mean the number of times I charge the car (irrespective of how much I charge it) or does one charging cycle means charging it to 100% (wouldn’t make any sense in this table IMO)
Also.. what if my average daily commute is even less than the last line ? Also, add in the fact that I have LFP (so recharge to 100% at least once a week). In that case it is kinda difficult to maintain it in that charge range.

Thanks for sharing.
Not sure what exactly the “charging cycle (day)” column means
Does it simply mean the number of times I charge the car (irrespective of how much I charge it) or does one charging cycle means charging it to 100% (wouldn’t make any sense in this table IMO)
Also.. what if my average daily commute is even less than the last line ? Also, add in the fact that I have LFP (so recharge to 100% at least once a week). In that case it is kinda difficult to maintain it in that charge range.
A charging cycle regimen shown is for Li-ion not LFP batteries. The cycle is represented by the partial charging session within your chosen limit. The last row is less than 25 mi/d, I would still follow the lowest limits illustrated.

"I charge to 60% which completes 20 min before I leave for work. Get to work and it's about 52% sitting all day. Get home and it's about 44% where it sits overnight till the early morning leave by charging kicks in again. Both parking locations are indoor, so the car doesn't sit out in the sun much. I do plan to do a charge up to 95% soon, then let it sleep for 3 hours, just so it can resync the BMS. I don't plan on doing 100% unless forced to."

Quoted myself from another thread. So it's five months now since I took delivery and the above, is the charging habit I've settled on. The SOC stays anywhere between 30 - 60%, but sits below 50% most of the time. I'm about to do a resync of the BMS, but not charging it to 100%. I guess you could call it a soft resync. I figure doing this twice a year might suffice. Any thoughts?

Explain a little better, please. Not exactly sure of what you're saying.

Sounds like his default of 90% charge limit was somehow changed to 80% with a recent software update. He's wondering if Tesla knows something we don't.

On my M3LR, I keep it at 50% charge limit all the time since it is a NCA battery pack. I don't feel any power loss at this low of a SOC and have driven it down to 35% on a longer trip but otherwise on a daily basis I don't dip below 40%.

Reactions: dafish
Sounds like his default of 90% charge limit was somehow changed to 80% with a recent software update. He's wondering if Tesla knows something we don't.

On my M3LR, I keep it at 50% charge limit all the time since it is a NCA battery pack. I don't feel any power loss at this low of a SOC and have driven it down to 35% on a longer trip but otherwise on a daily basis I don't dip below 40%.
The recommended charge is between 50 - 90% on the touchscreen and I've got the latest software, unless an update came out that I don't know about. The car says it's up to date.

The recommended charge is between 50 - 90% on the touchscreen and I've got the latest software, unless an update came out that I don't know about. The car says it's up to date.

Has nothing to do with it. When you buy a new Tesla it comes default to 90% charge limit (at least my 22M3LR did) and it sounds like he was saying it was originally 90% and after a software update, it defaulted to 80%. It has nothing to do with sliding the charge limit on the app/software or what you run or what we run or etc...

This has been discussed on Reddit/TeslaModelY.

2023.26.1, Long Range Model Y and Performance Model Y with the 2170 cells now show daily charging as 50% - 80%.

Alright. I must be receiving an update soon cause my charging tip is still 90%. Thanks for clarifying (if that is what the poster meant, who knows?)
Has nothing to do with it. When you buy a new Tesla it comes default to 90% charge limit (at least my 22M3LR did) and it sounds like he was saying it was originally 90% and after a software update, it defaulted to 80%. It has nothing to do with sliding the charge limit on the app/software or what you run or what we run or etc...
Mine came with 90% charge as well, hence me naming this thread what I did. But this is just a charging tip. Wonder if they will put it into practice and deliver @ 80% now.

Explain a little better, please. Not exactly sure of what you're saying.
I have a 2023 MYLR that I bought in May, has 2000km on it. when it bought it, in the app the recommended daily limit was 90% but now after 2 months it shows recommended daily limit to be 80%. I googled and found out that before Feb the apps used to show 80% then after Feb 2023 people started to see 90% and now the latest software update in the Y and/or the phone all changed the daily recommended limit back to 80%. this is for the US build MYLR 2023. Make sure you software and the phone app is up to date and let us know what your recommended daily limit is? you can see if if you move the limit slider on the phone app to the right to over 90%

the MYLRs that were bought between Feb and May came with 90% daily limit recommendation.

IMG_1611.png

Reactions: bckelowna
when it bought it, in the app the recommended daily limit was 90% but now after 2 months it shows recommended daily limit to be 80%.

I googled and found out that before Feb the apps used to show 80% then after Feb 2023 people started to see 90% and now the latest software update in the Y and/or the phone all changed the daily recommended limit back to 80%.
It was not 80% before. Thats a rumor that has been around in forums et etc.

The 80% limit in the app is new, and as far as I’ve seen no manual changed yet.
Has stated ”below 90%” for years.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
My app says 80% for the charging tip. I think it used to say 90. I still use 50% as the limit anyway for our normal daily driving.
Thats right!
It was <90% since they change the charge settings on the model S long time ago.

You already did get it, but for others: 90% is not the recomended setting like 90% being recommended over lower settings.
Teslas recommendation has been below 90% for daily.

Still is in the manuals, if they didnt change them the latests weeks.

I notice that when using the app for setting the charging limit, tapping on the lighting bolt to access the slider, will also open the charge port even if you're not near the car. Am I doing something wrong? I think these functions should be unpaired.

I notice that when using the app for setting the charging limit, tapping on the lighting bolt to access the slider, will also open the charge port even if you're not near the car. Am I doing something wrong? I think these functions should be unpaired.
That row of icons seems to be quick action things that people would frequently like to do, like the lightning bolt pops the charge port door. the fan symbol instantly turns on the climate.

For less frequently used functions (like setting your charge limit), and more choice of things to do, just use the menu items below that, where it shows Controls, Climate, Location, Schedule, etc.