Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla site inventory pricing mistake? This 2014 P85D has no age discount

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has the inventory pricing model changed? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was $1 / mile and 1% per month from the date of manufacture. In that case this 2014 P85D - which should sticker new right around $129,500 should be discounted down to $105K. Instead the inventory site has it priced at $118,470. :confused: Even if 2014 P85D's were $5,000 more expensive that would put it at $110K - not $118K.

Am I making a mistake? Or is it possible it's priced incorrectly on the site and I should call them and ask about it? Please see the link and my attached calculations on what I *think* the price should be. Thanks!

85 kWh Performance Model S P68393 | Tesla Motors

Screen Shot 2016-01-17 at 11.54.33 PM.png

That's the formula for inventory cars, I believe you're looking at a preowned car, the formula doesn't work for them because it would break down very quickly once you get more than about a year old and a few thousand miles. You'd very quickly get to values that are way below market price. To my knowledge Tesla has never disclosed their formula for preowned cars.

Has the inventory pricing model changed? Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought it was $1 / mile and 1% per month from the date of manufacture. In that case this 2014 P85D - which should sticker new right around $129,500 should be discounted down to $105K. Instead the inventory site has it priced at $118,470. :confused: Even if 2014 P85D's were $5,000 more expensive that would put it at $110K - not $118K.

Am I making a mistake? Or is it possible it's priced incorrectly on the site and I should call them and ask about it? Please see the link and my attached calculations on what I *think* the price should be. Thanks!

85 kWh Performance Model S P68393 | Tesla Motors

View attachment 108395

It's now down to $107K.

I still think it could go lower for it to make sense. That Exec Seat option likely has very little value given that it was discontinued and you can no longer transport 3 people in the back seat and I think the Exec Seats also prevents you from being able to fold the seats.

Sorry, my mistake, it looked CPO to me, but now that I read it, it does say show floor model.

No idea why this one isn't discounted the way you expect. Could simply be market competition based. Why sell for less than you need to?

Or why sell now for $118K when you can sell later for $85K :) This is what they did with the P85+ vehicles that were overpriced for about a year and now a bunch have $20-25K discounts from last year.

yup, still 118470 (you need to look carefully, the real price is in tiny writing under the big price that includes all sorts of tax incentives)

You are right. They got me. I got confused by how they don't prominently list the actual selling price of the car :)

That's a horrible price for someone looking to buy a used P85D as at that price they might as well buy a brand new car with seating for 3 in the back and a back seat that you can actually fold down.