Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model S existing inventory and pricing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I pulled the trigger and got a 2023 LR at the end of June. Got $7500 off + $1K referral and 6yr unlimited SC (after getting rid of the lifetime SC on my old 2016 S). I am sure that they will have new promotions at the end of the next quarter. Tesla has a lot of competitors now. I believe Mercedes and BMW are beginning to offer significant discounts (via their leasing programs) on their top tier vehicles. What is scary is the dramatic collapse in used car pricing. I think my old 2016 S dropped by over $10K over the past year!

I ended up buying a late 2022 MS LR with under 3K miles and FSD from an Audi dealer who just wanted it gone, for 60% of the original sale price. Even with the price drops since late last year, that's insane depreciation (probably 50% based on what the guy probably traded it in for). Happy to be on the other side of that, but I really do feel for those that bought last year.

Still waiting to see what happens after the promo ends in September. Not biting on the offer to transfer FSD as I suspect something else will be offered to move stagnant X and S inventory. Not to mention the trade in value Tesla offered was insulting - with very little value added for FSD. My car is still driving like a champ. Come on $69,420. Some existing inventory is out of market for me, but the pricing is becoming attractive..

Attachments

• base drop.jpg
    base drop.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 150
Be glad you didn't buy a plaid last spring like I did. Even discounted from 154K to 140K, its now worth 95K (~85K trade in) at best and its barely 18 months old. Today a new plaid can be had for 105K (with some options like 21s and something other thank black interior) before FSD which would bring it up to 120K which is a 34K price reduction alone. Insane. Tesla completely ruined the used market for anyone who bought last year doing what they are doing right now.
In got a used 2022 Plaid and I thank tesla very much.

Still waiting to see what happens after the promo ends in September. Not biting on the offer to transfer FSD as I suspect something else will be offered to move stagnant X and S inventory. Not to mention the trade in value Tesla offered was insulting - with very little value added for FSD. My car is still driving like a champ. Come on $69,420. Some existing inventory is out of market for me, but the pricing is becoming attractive..
Are you saying they offered you 69K for a 17 100D? Not even a P100D? They offered me 81K for my 21.5 plaid with 21s and FSD/AP. Told me the same about FSD being worth very little on the used market. I wasn't even really paying attention to any of the price drops but my hummer reservation just came through so I need to decide if I keep or sell. I was just running through the usual sources to see what the used market was looking to decide if it was worth selling to CarMax, Tesla, whoever or private party. Insulting is an understatement here.

Are you saying they offered you 69K for a 17 100D? Not even a P100D? They offered me 81K for my 21.5 plaid with 21s and FSD/AP. Told me the same about FSD being worth very little on the used market. I wasn't even really paying attention to any of the price drops but my hummer reservation just came through so I need to decide if I keep or sell. I was just running through the usual sources to see what the used market was looking to decide if it was worth selling to CarMax, Tesla, whoever or private party. Insulting is an understatement here.
Offered me 12,100k for a model 3 performance 2019 with 72000 miles no damage. Not even a door ding. I will never buy new from tesla again.

Attachments

• IMG_8020.png
    IMG_8020.png
    197.1 KB · Views: 113
I was able to get auction data from a local dealer to see what had happened and when. Last year this time avg price for a plaid was 125K with avg 5K miles, 6 months ago was 92K with avg 11k miles and past 30 days down to 82K with 13k avg miles. Part of this is also inventory and how long they take to move. The used market is smart enough to know that more new inventory being built up by Tesla likely means more price drops by Tesla to deal with. In any case cars are always going to drop but it sucks that it hit this hard due to what they did. Even funnier how much FSD costs and their own used car people put no real value on it. Thankfully mine has been trouble free as has our 2013 that is about to break 200K miles so aside from the value drop, its at least a solid car and generally cheap to operate.

Reactions: ginmqi
Interest rates have destroyed the market and slowed down buying, ergo the lower prices.
Yeah, there's a lot of talk about more competition and other factors, but interest rates are the single biggest reason the Model S and X aren't selling as well as before. Most people finance cars, and higher interest rates make the more higher ends ones especially out of reach. FWIW, Elon was pretty clear about this in one of the recent earnings calls.

I was able to get auction data from a local dealer to see what had happened and when. Last year this time avg price for a plaid was 125K with avg 5K miles, 6 months ago was 92K with avg 11k miles and past 30 days down to 82K with 13k avg miles. Part of this is also inventory and how long they take to move. The used market is smart enough to know that more new inventory being built up by Tesla likely means more price drops by Tesla to deal with. In any case cars are always going to drop but it sucks that it hit this hard due to what they did. Even funnier how much FSD costs and their own used car people put no real value on it. Thankfully mine has been trouble free as has our 2013 that is about to break 200K miles so aside from the value drop, its at least a solid car and generally cheap to operate.

Yeah I'm watching the Plaid market and it is insane. It's incredible to as a buyer but I can't imagine the loss as a seller if you bought at the peak when it was 140k-150k....

21 Plaids with higher miles are listing for low 80s to high 70s in some cases, I saw a 22 Plaid somewhat near within my driving distance with like 15k miles listed at 85k after sitting on market for 100+ days and I think it just sold.

A brand new 23 Plaid with no adds is 108k, and when I look at Plaids listed for mid to upper 90s, it makes no sense for someone who can swing 100k on a car to spend mid to upper 90s on a used one when they can get a brand new 23 for just ~10k-ish more. This is likely why prices will continue to tank for Plaids...buyers who can afford a 100k car will be looking at steeper discounts to get into a used one and if the delta between used and new is not that much...there's little sense to buy used. This I suspect is why lot of plaids are now more in the 80s than 90s.

A brand new 23 Plaid with no adds is 108k, and when I look at Plaids listed for mid to upper 90s, it makes no sense for someone who can swing 100k on a car to spend mid to upper 90s on a used one when they can get a brand new 23 for just ~10k-ish more.
Um… Brand new Plaids can be had for high 90k here. There’s one here right now for…. Lemme go look at the Tesla website to confirm… $99,240. Is that not normal on the mainland?

-Paul

IMG_0351.jpg

Um… Brand new Plaids can be had for high 90k here. There’s one here right now for…. Lemme go look at the Tesla website to confirm… $99,240. Is that not normal on the mainland?

-Paul

View attachment 965075
Oh man that's a steal. I totally forgot about discounted existing new inventory. My area currently lowest is a 106k new plaid. There was one for 103k last month.

Unfortunately they limit your search to 200mi of zip code and from what I read they wont allow out of state travelers to drive out and buy and go back.

Speaking for myself, I'd never buy a used Plaid so I went new late June 2023 to enjoy the incentives. Track pack brakes and top shelf forged wheels are a must. FSD is a non-factor.

$114K 18 miles inventory new MSP with 21s, Advanced AP, yoke, 3 year free supercharging, referral discount, etc
$12K CA tax/reg
$16K ceramic brakes
$7.5K 21" forged wheels
$7.5K PPF/tint
=$157K outlay

I essentially got a new 6/23 build MSP + OEM ceramic brakes + 200mph + track mode + stronger/lighter forged wheels + requisite vanity protection for what equates to a well optioned, bone stock MSP a year or so ago.

The only other car I considered is a Taycan GTS wagon, but it cost $50K more for the much slower, less rangey ev with a vastly inferior charging experience.

I'm happy with the purchase.

P.S. Added $40 OEM rear T badge because it looks wrong without

Last edited:
Depending on what you value, the Plaid is still a performance bargain for me. The price for the track pack brakes was reasonable and I enjoy the car every day now that I have the kinks worked out. Is it the ultimate track weapon or backroad blitzer? No, but is still a lot of fun. At the end of the day when I am done playing, I can put my family in and drive across town or across the country with no issues.

Even if the price comes down another 10k, I really don't care. Despite its few issues, there are so far no deal breakers for me since I took care of the brakes and fixed the rear tire wear issue. I don't have an endlessly vibrating Plaid like Jeb. I do have some very minor vives at about 38-42 but barely noticeable now. No rattles to speak of so far. Windshield glass is pretty good with no obvious distortion.

The car just works. One thing that works very well is the AC. A lot of 110F days here. The AC seems to easily handle it. Go out to the car and it is 140F+ inside and it very quickly cools down. It probably is the best all-around car I've owned and is very versatile with the hatch.

$114K 18 miles inventory new MSP with 21s, Advanced AP, yoke, 3 year free supercharging, referral discount, etc
$12K CA tax/reg
$16K ceramic brakes
$7.5K 21" forged wheels
$7.5K PPF/tint
=$157K outlay

I'm happy with the purchase.

P.S. Added $40 OEM rear T badge because it looks wrong without

Bonkers, that's like putting money on fire 🤣 If you can afford it without missing a heartbeat, it's fine.