Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So was I until I learned adaptive high beam didn't make it to Oz.

Is there anything else to get excited about in 8.4? I don't give a hoot about speed cameras. I already know where they are.
I have turned adaptive highbeam off until I’m more confident that it’s not going to get someone road raging. It doesn’t take much in Southern Adelaide.

I have turned adaptive highbeam off until I’m more confident that it’s not going to get someone road raging. It doesn’t take much in Southern Adelaide.
Really? Is that because it is actually not blocking pixels for a car or just the other car seeing the bright lights (directed elsewhere) and not understanding the tech and getting upset?

It's still been working great for me here. I do plan to set up a test with another vehicle, but just haven't had the time and people available to do it yet.

Reactions: dronus
Really? Is that because it is actually not blocking pixels for a car or just the other car seeing the bright lights (directed elsewhere) and not understanding the tech and getting upset?

It's still been working great for me here. I do plan to set up a test with another vehicle, but just haven't had the time and people available to do it yet.
Yeah I think it’s a combination of having all of the lights on the front of the car (people assume cars have a set of low beam and a set of high beam so if they see more than 2, you have high beams on) and the delay in the pixels extinguishing. I had one person turn their high beams on and swerve towards me the other night. They were probably on drugs tho as it was 2am.

I wonder what would happen if 2 m3h were driving towards each other? Would the headlights all go off completely? Haha jk

• Funny
Reactions: Jules22
Yeah I think it’s a combination of having all of the lights on the front of the car (people assume cars have a set of low beam and a set of high beam so if they see more than 2, you have high beams on) and the delay in the pixels extinguishing. I had one person turn their high beams on and swerve towards me the other night. They were probably on drugs tho as it was 2am.

I wonder what would happen if 2 m3h were driving towards each other? Would the headlights all go off completely? Haha jk
haha, yeah I've definitely had that in previous vehicles I've driven and most of those blanked out the whole section of road that the oncoming car was in so I knew 100% that they weren't even remotely getting blinded, yet they see the bright lights and get upset and flash etc.. Oddly though I haven't had it happen with the Tesla as yet.

Ive been wondering how distracting the adaptive high beams might be - im quite confident that they do a good job of not blinding people, however the lights constantly flickering on and off has gotta annoy people, right?

Ill keep using them anyway, but ive got to wonder 🤷‍♂️🤣

Ive been wondering how distracting the adaptive high beams might be - im quite confident that they do a good job of not blinding people, however the lights constantly flickering on and off has gotta annoy people, right?

Yeah, you would think people would understand them by now, they've been around in various versions for quite some time.

You can definitely tell that the other vehicle is on high beams but it takes a little thought to realise that they are not 'shining at you' and that it's using some sort of intelligent system.

Reactions: SiLENC3

yeah for sure. lights going on and off = flashing = must tailgate and punch on.

Yeah, you would think people would understand them by now, they've been around in various versions for quite some time.

You can definitely tell that the other vehicle is on high beams but it takes a little thought to realise that they are not 'shining at you' and that it's using some sort of intelligent system.
Im not sure the average Joe/Joanne has any idea as they drive along in their '83 HiLux :)

Reactions: Jules22
I would have expected the .8 over the weekend but alas it wasn’t to be.
The hype over OTA upgrades gets a bit "Meh" a few months into Tesla ownership.
Iv heard the .8 update rollout has slowed - likely that means a sub version of the .8 coming out.

My view now is I'm not hanging out for the next update. if it happens it happens, if not MEH

The game updates I get with Clash of Clans are more interesting🤣

I have turned adaptive highbeam off until I’m more confident that it’s not going to get someone road raging.
Interesting. It's been one thing I've looked forward to since getting my Tesla.

I do a lot of night country driving on a divided freeway, where the existing auto high-beam is not great. It sometimes doesn't dip when opposing traffic is behind vegetation in the median, but I would dip anyway - particularly if the on-coming traffic is a prime mover with the driver sitting up high - I can see the lights of the cab of the prime mover, but not its headlights. This means I am probably annoying the truck driver with high beams.

The other thing it doesn't do well is the follow distance of distant vehicles in front - it puts on high beam when they are much closer than I would.

I have no idea whether the adaptive high beam will improve these situations or not, but I've been looking forward to finding out.

Interesting. It's been one thing I've looked forward to since getting my Tesla.

I do a lot of night country driving on a divided freeway, where the existing auto high-beam is not great. It sometimes doesn't dip when opposing traffic is behind vegetation in the median, but I would dip anyway - particularly if the on-coming traffic is a prime mover with the driver sitting up high - I can see the lights of the cab of the prime mover, but not its headlights. This means I am probably annoying the truck driver with high beams.

The other thing it doesn't do well is the follow distance of distant vehicles in front - it puts on high beam when they are much closer than I would.

I have no idea whether the adaptive high beam will improve these situations or not, but I've been looking forward to finding out.
Absolutely can see the benefit there and I wish I had it for my last trip over to Victoria.
I’m mainly commuting to and from work, often in the dark but metro with some small bits on expressways but nothing in comparison to highway/country driving like yourself.
I hope you do get it soon so we can hear your experience with it.

The hype over OTA upgrades gets a bit "Meh" a few months into Tesla ownership.
Iv heard the .8 update rollout has slowed - likely that means a sub version of the .8 coming out.

My view now is I'm not hanging out for the next update. if it happens it happens, if not MEH

The game updates I get with Clash of Clans are more interesting🤣
After a few years it elevates beyond ‘meh’. Just don’t want to deal with new bugs.

Reactions: bay74 and Quickst