Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Hyena - Cars with Apple CarPlay already do this in Australia.....
Apple Car Play doesn't show the content of the messages which is what the law says. The tesla update seemingly shows the content of the messages. It's a bit of a grey area though as the intention of the law was phones can not show the content of the messages, at least in WA. Not sure if it extends to screens that are part of the car.

Apple Car Play doesn't show the content of the messages which is what the law says. The tesla update seemingly shows the content of the messages. It's a bit of a grey area though as the intention of the law was phones can not show the content of the messages, at least in WA. Not sure if it extends to screens that are part of the car.
My 2016 Subaru Liberty (that has been crying in the garage) shows me the contents of the messages
It may depend on a state by state basis?

• Funny
Reactions: Vostok
I could be wrong but I don't think cars in Aus are allowed to display text messages on screen while driving. Audi Australia had to hold back deliveries of new cars when a similar global software update enabled this on their cars.

The laws that apply to phones don't apply to the infotainment systems.

Unfortunately I doubt Tesla would check the Australian states separately for restrictions before rolling out software updates, they most likely check the strictest restrictions and apply that for the whole country

If a carmaker certifies a vehicle as ADR compliant, there is really nothing the states can do.

In "Australian Road Rules" which the states have adopted more or less universally, there is a special exemption carved out. For example, with regards to visual display units.

(2) This rule does not apply to the driver if—

(b) the vehicle is not a motor bike and the visual display unit is, or is part of, a driver's aid and either—

(i) is an integrated part of the vehicle design ...

The NSW law you are referring to is below:

For the purposes of this rule, a driver does not use a phone to receive a text message, video message, email or similar communication if—
(a) the communication is received automatically by the phone, and
(b) on and after receipt, the communication itself (rather than any indication that the communication has been received) does not become automatically visible on the screen of the phone.

This is very specifically and narrowly applied to the "phone". The individual states don't have the purview of addressing what any particular car maker does. That's what ADR is for.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Hairyman
Me too waiting for an update , I think Tesla has to do a manual conversion for the status of new cars from “to be delivered “ to “delivered “ for the updates to happen ?
Make a service request in the Tesla app for Software Update, Tesla should message you and then your able to cancel the appointment. I recieved my update within 12hrs of getting my Tesla delivered.

• Informative
Reactions: Lorrenzo
Strange thing with my SR+ yesterday, had no software update, but gained satellite maps and live traffic that you normally only get with the premium interior.
May be a sign that the premium connectivity paid version coming very soon.

Strange thing with my SR+ yesterday, had no software update, but gained satellite maps and live traffic that you normally only get with the premium interior.

Yeah happened to mine as well. Satellite maps looks great! Sadly looks like the 2019.40.50 update has stopped being rolled out to Australia for some reason. Last update according to Teslafi was in the very early hours of Boxing Day.

Can anyone with the update on SR+, advise whether you still have LTE connectivity after the update without subscription?

I can confirm I have an SR+ with FSD and the 2019.40.50.1 update on the morning of the 25th and do not have LTE connectivity or satellite maps.
That appears to be common with Tesla, that things are not done same way for everyone. I have SR+ do not have 2019.40.50.1 yet so I am still on 2019.40.2.1. I do not have FSD and did not have satellite maps yesterday on 26th, but I appear to have satellite maps today on 27th and the LTE connection appears to allow me to stream everything currently also. Strange.

That appears to be common with Tesla, that things are not done same way for everyone. I have SR+ do not have 2019.40.50.1 yet so I am still on 2019.40.2.1. I do not have FSD and did not have satellite maps yesterday on 26th, but I appear to have satellite maps today on 27th and the LTE connection appears to allow me to stream everything currently also. Strange.
What I'm wondering is whether taking the . 50 update will kill the premium connectivity. I'm enjoying it!

• Funny
Reactions: paulp