Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have just gotten the 2021.12.25.7 update as well and am sitting in my car running the update. So a newbie question here as I’ve only had the car a couple of days and this is my first. Is it normal for all sorts of whining, buzzing and most distressingly, clunking noises to be coming from under my car while this is updating?
I assume the model 3 behaves like the model s, if so your aircon will not be how you left it after an update (turns off a/c and goes to recirculate to feet) and if you are plugged in with charging manually stopped but at a higher setting, it will start the charging on your behalf, which isnt great if you are solar harvesting.
In summer you may also hear a fan ramp up to cool things down during charge, but only if high amperage.

I assume the model 3 behaves like the model s, if so your aircon will not be how you left it after an update (turns off a/c and goes to recirculate to feet) and if you are plugged in with charging manually stopped but at a higher setting, it will start the charging on your behalf, which isnt great if you are solar harvesting.
In summer you may also hear a fan ramp up to cool things down during charge, but only if high amperage.
The noises are normal during an update.

Mine randomly started charging during the update. It was sitting at 50% which was where the limit was set before the update started, then it just started charging and kept going until the update finished.
That's a bit strange.
Charging has definitely stopped for me before when I thought I'd try an install while plugged into a destination charger at a shopping centre.

And for at least a chunk of the update the main battery is disconnected (that's much of the loud clunking noises)

Apparently its to do with the actual tails themselves, on newer UMC’s the supplied tails are marked 10/15A
The older ones are marked 8/12A, check what is marked on your tails?
OK, yeah... that must be it.

Mine are marked:
AU Adapter 10 8A 250V
AU Adapter 15 12A 250V

I guess if I want 10A I can use the 15A tail with a 15A/10A adapter and make sure I don't go over 10A.

Reactions: Hairyman
On mine (That does charge at full 15A after update)

AU Adapter 10 10A 250V
AU Adapter 15 15A 250V
Just checked and mine are 8A and 12A, so I suspect the ones delivered September 2019 came with those. Any idea if the 10A and 15A ones are available for purchase or replacement from Tesla or any 3rd party?
I noticed the US shop has: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
Those are wrong plug type for Australia. Australian shop does not list anything.

Last edited:
Just checked and mine are 8A and 12A, so I suspect the ones delivered September 2019 came with those. Any idea if the 10A and 15A ones are available for purchase or replacement from Tesla or any 3rd party?
I noticed the US shop has: Gen 2 NEMA Adapters
Those are wrong plug type for Australia. Australian shop does not list anything.
Confirmed! Mine are 8A, 12A and delivered in September 2019.

My charger from March 2020 never charges above 8A, regardless of where I plug in (my own garage, or several locations I've been over the past year). It appears to do a voltage drop test before ramping up the charge amps, I suspect to make sure it doesn't pop the breaker if there's any other load on the same circuit. I do find it a bit odd though, as in Oz we start out with a significantly higher voltage than the rest of the 220V world. My garage usually sits at 243V when I plug in, and voltage drops to 237V when pulling 8A. I'll check what it says on the tail next time I'm in the garage. Which, with the current lockdown, is probably gonna be NEVER. Ha!