Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone noticed that Autopilot now slows down if you are navigating and need to turn soon? It appears new to me. It may have already been mentioned earlier but I only read the last couple of pages.

To me this is a great sign that there have been improvements to Autopilot recently.
I only got behind the wheel of a Tesla at the end of September, but I seem to recall even just TACC doing this when on a navigation route (i.e. you don't need autosteer running). I thought this was normal?

Reactions: Jules22
Anyone noticed that Autopilot now slows down if you are navigating and need to turn soon? It appears new to me. It may have already been mentioned earlier but I only read the last couple of pages.

To me this is a great sign that there have been improvements to Autopilot recently.
Yep, noticed this a couple of months ago. But it's a pain in supercharger-lite regions such as Tassie!

It doesn't know that fast/ultra-rapid chargers exist, so it often tries to route me to the only supercharger in the state (which is behind me, relative to my destination) so I would ignore it, but also take advantage of the fact it was pre-conditioning the battery (for when I arrived at the ultra-rapid charger).

However, now whenever I pass a U-turn spot on the highway it automatically slows down... annoying when it's every few km.

I can, of course, tell it to not route to superchargers, but then I don't get the pre-conditioning benefit.

It doesn't know that fast/ultra-rapid chargers exist, so it often tries to route me to the only supercharger in the state
This has to be one of my biggest gripes with charging on long distance trips. In QLD, driving anywhere other than the south east corner, you will be relying on third party chargers most of the time. The fact there is no way to pre-condition the battery to accept the higher charge rate that some chargers offer just seems crazy to me. I'm sure they have their reasons not to do anything, but a simple "pre-condition battery on arrival" option, or a similar system to what the implemented in Europe with the "Qualified Charging Station Requirements"...

Reactions: Chuq
The best example I have of when it may have been useful is after disembarking the ferry in Devonport at 6.45am in the middle of winter, and driving 100 km to a 350 kW charger - this was my charge curve:

1702428070857.png

How much time does preconditioning save - especially in QLD when ambient temps are going to be higher - especially in summer
It's a good question, and I guess it depends on the state of charge and how much you're trying to add before moving on... all I know is I have plugged into a >100kW charger in QLD without preconditioning, and the charge rate was limited whilst displaying the "you didn't pre-condition your battery" warning. Not sure how long it took to get it up to an acceptable temperature to fast charge, but it felt like a while. Contrary to popular belief, it isn't 30degC and sunny in QLD all year round... but I take your point, it would be much worse in colder regions.

🤣 👍

If a battery is at 30⁰C how long does it take to raise the temp to the preconditioning temp of say 45⁰C?
I don't know the answer to this, but I am far enough north that our days have been over 30 degrees for a good while now. I charged at a 50kW charger (usually 44kW in reality) and the car notified me that it was warming the battery to allow faster charging. It's always done that for any DC charging. If it doesn't make much difference, I would rather save the power and associated cost.