Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Off Grid system installation is going well. I just received the Delt 2 max Extra battery. Bring the total battery storage to 4096 watts.
You get a discount from Ecoflow for the extra battery. When you register for the warranty. For the Delta 2 Max.
I put one solar panel on my plastic small shed. It’s the portable solar panel that comes from Ecoflow. With the delta 2 max bundle. Purchased another panel from Amazon. For
$159. It’s 200watts.
Waiting for the third panel to come in tomorrow. It’s 220 watts for $200.
The max solar array size for the delta 2 max is 1kW.

1694277077378.jpeg

1694277110115.jpeg

1694277130208.jpeg

Reactions: DrewHou
Off Grid system installation is going well. I just received the Delt 2 max Extra battery. Bring the total battery storage to 4096 watts.
You get a discount from Ecoflow for the extra battery. When you register for the warranty. For the Delta 2 Max.
I put one solar panel on my plastic small shed. It’s the portable solar panel that comes from Ecoflow. With the delta 2 max bundle. Purchased another panel from Amazon. For
$159. It’s 200watts.
Waiting for the third panel to come in tomorrow. It’s 220 watts for $200.
The max solar array size for the delta 2 max is 1kW.

View attachment 972328
View attachment 972329
View attachment 972330
I've been thinking about this for my new detached garage I had built. During the build, a very old and large oak tree fell onto the garage foundation (before framing luckily), probably because we moved too much dirt from around it. This allows for plenty of morning son to now hit the new garage roof, so I've been thinking about putting in a similar system on my own.

Reactions: Jones1 and DrewHou
There is a place to disabled it (don’t know if it unpairs) under I think Schedule. Once you disable the CoS option disappears.
Yeah it was very strange. The settings were not there anymore. However, as odd as it may seem rebooting the solar system on the house fixed it and just had to go back and setup again. Surely a bug but if anyone runs into this just reboot solar not the car. 🤷

Reactions: wiltoking
I've been thinking about this for my new detached garage I had built. During the build, a very old and large oak tree fell onto the garage foundation (before framing luckily), probably because we moved too much dirt from around it. This allows for plenty of morning son to now hit the new garage roof, so I've been thinking about putting in a similar system on my own.

It’s fun. What I liked about the Ecoflow power stations. Is that it can charge an EV. When I saw a YouTube video last year. I’ve been wanting to get one. I will probably never have to add 7 miles to my Tesla from this setup. 😆
But I like to be prepared for anything. Never say never after 2020.
$2000 for the Delta 2 max from Amazon
$1000 for the delta 2 max extra battery.
You have to get a 3kW battery or more tro get the tax credit. FYI
Not much on a few thousand dollars. But it’s like you get the extra battery for free. After the 30% credit.

That's still 2,800 cycles of the supposed "up to 4,000 cycles" in its 20-year lifespan. Not sure how the first allows for unlimited cycles unless they calculate it would be impossible to exceed a certain number of less than 2,800 if you're just using it for your home. Maybe the update to LFP will remove that restriction.

For comparison, I've had my four Powerwalls installed for just over a year. In that time, I've already had 22.8mWh pass through my batteries. There is no VPP here, I'm solely using self-consumption. My batteries are charging and discharging on a daily basis.

Even if you divide that by four (to determine for each Powerwall), that's 5.7 mWh in one year. For the stated warranty terms of 37.8mWh, I'd hit the end of my warranty at just past 6.5 years, if VPP is truly in the second category. I suppose that's the magic question.

1694348037257.png

Reactions: Jones1
For comparison, I've had my four Powerwalls installed for just over a year. In that time, I've already had 22.8mWh pass through my batteries. There is no VPP here, I'm solely using self-consumption. My batteries are charging and discharging on a daily basis.

Even if you divide that by four (to determine for each Powerwall), that's 5.7 mWh in one year. For the stated warranty terms of 37.8mWh, I'd hit the end of my warranty at just past 6.5 years, if VPP is truly in the second category. I suppose that's the magic question.

View attachment 972568
Very interesting, you're getting good use out of your Powerwalls. I might be wrong, but I thought a "cycle" was understood to just count the discharge of the battery so you might be at half of what you calculate. Much lower degradation if so.

A 10kW battery discharges 10kWh and charged up to full is 1 cycle of 10kWh (not 20kWh). Can anyone clarify?

Very interesting, you're getting good use out of your Powerwalls. I might be wrong, but I thought a "cycle" was understood to just count the discharge of the battery so you might be at half of what you calculate. Much lower degradation if so.

A 10kW battery discharges 10kWh and charged up to full is 1 cycle of 10kWh (not 20kWh). Can anyone clarify?

Just looking at the warranty doc, it claims '37.8MWh of aggregate throughput', which (I imagine from a lawyer perspective) could mean in any direction. At the same time, the footnote claims 'Measured at the battery AC output', which could mean discharging only. It is definitely confusing, hopefully someone here has a little more in-depth knowledge or experience with what is actually meant.

1694438796891.png

Just looking at the warranty doc, it claims '37.8MWh of aggregate throughput', which (I imagine from a lawyer perspective) could mean in any direction. At the same time, the footnote claims 'Measured at the battery AC output', which could mean discharging only. It is definitely confusing, hopefully someone here has a little more in-depth knowledge or experience with what is actually meant.

View attachment 972903
I think it is only for discharge from what you mention. For electricity, "throughput" is considered from the power source node to the consumption node. In this case, the power source is the battery. Hence the Warranty being about how much power the batteries (output) can provide over their lifetime.

This means each of your Powerwalls has provided 2.8 MWh of power in 1 year, that's 7% of the 37.8 MWh in the warranty and tracks to make the 10-year limit (if looking at that value).

So today I noticed a new behavior I haven’t seen yet from my system. Today my powerwalls exported 1.5kWh to the grid. Which isn’t nothing to worry about but it’s never exported from my batteries to the grid before in the almost year now of having Tesla Solar.

Not on Tesla Electric
No plan changes
No settings changed

I’m not sure if it’s accurate or not though as the graph shows all yellow at the top.

Attachments

• IMG_5276.png
    IMG_5276.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Informative
I have that export from batteries as well. Very small percentage like 1-2%. and it went back a few months ago as well.
I read there is a setting in your app that you can choose to export from Solar or Everything (Solar+Battery) but you may have to call support to get that option available.
It also depends on your utility company.

• Informative
It does make a lot of sense that Tesla is only allowing. Non Tesla Solar companies into the VPP first. So Tesla can see how the discharge and charge effects the batteries. For warranty issues down the road. Pay the customer an extra $20 per month. Then let the third party company. Cover the warranty cost. What doesn’t make sense is that a Software Company. Can’t write software for the VPP. For the newest Powerwall with inverter. That has to be a lie. If not. Tesla needs to hire Better Engineers. Or just stop with the lies.

I guess I’ll focus on my DIY and CyberTruck preorder wait. Maybe in a couple years. Tesla will reverse course. From the backlash of not being able to add an LFP Powerwall to a current customers Solar and PW configuration. Or tremendously drop the price of the older PW’s.
I also notice. That it doesn’t state if the PW3 is LFP. I know it’s the Tesla way. But it would be good know. Pretty sure it is. I like how Ecoflow and other companies say exactly what chemistry the batteries are.

I’m actually surprised that Tesla is encouraging their customers to sell power back from their powerwalls. Hawaii has a battery bonus program where they pay you a small amount in exchange for receiving 5kw of power from your Powerwall every day during peak hours. In order to sign up for the program I needed Tesla to be on board, and they refused. They said they it could void my warranty because the powerwalls aren’t meant to discharge power that quickly.
I told them I was just planning on charging my M3 like I do every night anyway. They still said no… then out of the blue I go from my 9.6kw 2 Powerwall one 7.6kw inverter clipping every day at 7.7kw…to it flatlining and breaking.
Our system has been down since August 14th due to arching and the Powerwall+ inverter failing. Looking through posts in the forum I’m seeing that this is a common problem, and probably why they don’t want to mix the older powerwalls with the new one. Look up Powerwall+ inverters arching and causing the inverter to break.
Their customer service is garbage… it took them a month just to get back with me and schedule a service appointment, only for them to tell me this is is a busy time for them and they can’t have anyone come until November 3rd.

So my system broke 6 weeks after PTO, and will be broken for at least 12 weeks when they can finally send a technician. 💩

It sounds like they’re experimenting with Texans right now. Maybe they are testing to see how much power can be discharged from powerwalls at a given time to see what the breaking point is.

• Informative
After seeing what the PW3 looks like installed I am not a fan at all as far as aesthetics are concerned. I love how my powerwalls look in the garage with the glowing light bars and finished look. PW3 isn’t bad but I definitely wouldn’t want to see it next to my pretty existing ones 😂. So I guess here’s hoping I can snag a couple more on sale next year.

I know it’s for utility and not art but still… haha

Attachments

• IMG_5285.jpeg
    IMG_5285.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Reactions: Jones1 and h2ofun
Also I stumbled across this app for a solar dashboard. It’s pretty basic right now but the dev said he’s working on adding quite a few more things to the app soon. It’s available for Android and iOS and thinking about using it with a small tablet on the wall. Not as detailed yet as some other setups but this one doesn’t require any setup other than logging in with your Tesla account.

Attachments

• IMG_5286.png
    IMG_5286.png
    576.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5287.png
    IMG_5287.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
Reactions: Jones1 and Matt-FL