Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Solar inverters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey I am in NJ as well and looking to get solar through Tesla. They are currently quoting me much higher $3.99 for 305W panels. Were you given the 325W panels at $3.27?

Yes the 325W panels.

Here's what I did. I went to another solar company and had them give me a quote using Trina panels which came in at $3.00 per watt. I was hoping they'd go that low but they met me in the middle and went from $3.52 to $3.27. Their original price without price matching was $4.03 per watt.

My sales advisor claims he's never seen Tesla go that low in NJ lol which I doubt is true but whatever.

Looking at my quote right now. Tesla's quote is right at $3.25/w with the 325W Panasonic Panels. (In Virginia) - That includes Solar Edge HD Wave Inverters. Also considering a single powerwall unit even though it isn't cost effective.

Have two other quotes in progress:
P.E.G. Solar looks to come in at about $2.88 using Solar Edge Inverters but is using Canadian Solar 320W Panels. Additional benefit is that their panels are smaller and can fit more of them on the most ideal parts of my roof. Some of tesla's panels will have to go on less ideal parts of my roof due to their size/shape. But... no powerwall. They can install an LG Chem battery if I really want one. But that is overpriced compared to Tesla.

Still waiting to hear a detailed quote from Solar SME. Initial quote from Solarsage was $2.70 but the numbers were funny so I don't trust it until I speak with them.

well, here in Florida, SW coast, 37 Q-Cell 315w panels with Enphase (6's or 7's) inverters, installed
(Q.Peak Duo-G5 315-330)
$31,000 cash or $34,000 financed, nice roof, no weirdness, 2/3 east 1/3 south side (lots of afternoon clouds etc).
(site survey next week to finalize stuff so numbers may change a bit)

11,655 Watts (which according to PV Watts PVWatts Calculator will get me 18,000 - 18,600kWh/yr, a bit of an overage
With a Tesla battery and a gateway, I can be a node in a VPP here perhaps

(i could add 1 more 315 and get 11,970, which is right under the 12,000 watts that Florida freaks out about and requires like 3x and more homeowners insurance upgrades so we don't form our own VPP's perhaps)

an interesting article about renewbles
‘There is no alternative to a world of 100% renewables’

I wanted to update. I've worked on getting my final quotes together and talking with Tesla Energy, and Tesla has lowered their prices to match other quotes I have received. I had mentioned earlier that they stated they used 325W panels but initially they were using 315W panels in my first quote. They since changed my panels to 325W panels and lowered my cost to match the cost per watt from P.E.G. Solar. (Around $2.88) I did not receive any further replies from my Solar SME quote.

Along with a self-referral with the additional warranty, this makes it a pretty cost effective measure for me to go with Tesla, and I even picked up a 2nd referral to a neighbor in the process.

I will be installing about a 11.7kW system, similar to winfield100's! This is perfect for Virginia / Dominion since 10kW is the max for "fee free" net metering and I will be using 10kW of Solar Edge HD Wave inverters.

I wanted to update. I've worked on getting my final quotes together and talking with Tesla Energy, and Tesla has lowered their prices to match other quotes I have received. I had mentioned earlier that they stated they used 325W panels but initially they were using 315W panels in my first quote. They since changed my panels to 325W panels and lowered my cost to match the cost per watt from P.E.G. Solar. (Around $2.88) I did not receive any further replies from my Solar SME quote.

Along with a self-referral with the additional warranty, this makes it a pretty cost effective measure for me to go with Tesla, and I even picked up a 2nd referral to a neighbor in the process.

I will be installing about a 11.7kW system, similar to winfield100's! This is perfect for Virginia / Dominion since 10kW is the max for "fee free" net metering and I will be using 10kW of Solar Edge HD Wave inverters.
argh, SCREAMS
Got this email from Tesla in Naples Florida (down the road 30 miles a day or so ago, literally 2 days after I signed the papers for the 37, 315 watt panels (11.655kW) (times 0.85 for actual 'legal' 9,907watts, just under the 10Kw to keep me legal...)

"Good afternoon ___&____,
Tesla Home Energy is finally here. The Go-Live date in SWFL is set for early November 2018 and, if interested, I will be reaching out to you to discuss your path to installing a sustainable energy home ecosystem with our Solar Panels and Powerwalls.
To get started now, please reply with a copy of your most recent FPL utility bill and my team will start looking at the best system to suit your lifestyle.
I look forward to meeting with you and, together, accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy."
(except im with Lee County Elec Coop)

argh, SCREAMS
Got this email from Tesla in Naples Florida (down the road 30 miles a day or so ago, literally 2 days after I signed the papers for the 37, 315 watt panels (11.655kW) (times 0.85 for actual 'legal' 9,907watts, just under the 10Kw to keep me legal...)

"Good afternoon ___&____,
Tesla Home Energy is finally here. The Go-Live date in SWFL is set for early November 2018 and, if interested, I will be reaching out to you to discuss your path to installing a sustainable energy home ecosystem with our Solar Panels and Powerwalls.
To get started now, please reply with a copy of your most recent FPL utility bill and my team will start looking at the best system to suit your lifestyle.
I look forward to meeting with you and, together, accelerating the world’s transition to sustainable energy."
(except im with Lee County Elec Coop)

Ugh.

So my energy advisor informed me they're now installing Delta inverters lmao. I'm threatening to cancel the installation unless they give me SolarEdge like they sold me on. My installation date is tomorrow morning so this will be a fun 24 hours.

Reactions: 3laine
So my energy advisor informed me they're now installing Delta inverters lmao. I'm threatening to cancel the installation unless they give me SolarEdge like they sold me on. My installation date is tomorrow morning so this will be a fun 24 hours.

Definitely figure it out, now. They installed Delta for me despite the competition proposing SolarEdge or Microinverters and Tesla doing the "Best Value Guarantee" and being most expensive. Dealing with that, now.

I am sorry to hear that even after you got it in writing that it was to be solar edge, they still tried to substitute Delta. I hope you can work it out, but honestly it might be better over the long run to pull the plug on Tesla Energy and go with someone else.

It took me 4 months to get an installation error resolved with my TE installation. They had hooked up some components wrong on my panels and it was a battle for months to get them to acknowledge there was a problem and send someone out to my house. I was down to giving them one last chance before I threw my Tesla Energy warranty in the trash since it was worthless and just hired a different solar company to come fix my panels. They finally agreed and fixed my panels, but I am still out the lost production during the height of the summer due to their incompetance.

I am sorry to hear that even after you got it in writing that it was to be solar edge, they still tried to substitute Delta. I hope you can work it out, but honestly it might be better over the long run to pull the plug on Tesla Energy and go with someone else.

It took me 4 months to get an installation error resolved with my TE installation. They had hooked up some components wrong on my panels and it was a battle for months to get them to acknowledge there was a problem and send someone out to my house. I was down to giving them one last chance before I threw my Tesla Energy warranty in the trash since it was worthless and just hired a different solar company to come fix my panels. They finally agreed and fixed my panels, but I am still out the lost production during the height of the summer due to their incompetance.

Yeah, other than being told what kind of inverters they would be, for me, it is actually written in the interconnect/net metering agreement sent to the power company. Technically, that signed document wouldn't allow them to connect any other inverter to the power grid without a change to that document. So I always have that to fall back on if they try to change things for me in the future.

Yeah

Yeah, other than being told what kind of inverters they would be, for me, it is actually written in the interconnect/net metering agreement sent to the power company. Technically, that signed document wouldn't allow them to connect any other inverter to the power grid without a change to that document. So I always have that to fall back on if they try to change things for me in the future. I wouldn't necessarily mind Delta so much except I have multiple planes on my roof so Solar Edge is a good fit for me.
The Delta inverters can handle multiple strings/multiple planes. We have 4 planes, 3 Delta inverters and something like 9+ strings.

• Helpful
Reactions: wbhokie
I have Delta Solivia 7.6 and 3.8. But somehow, the Delta 3.8 has been replaced two times in a month. It was trying to “Synchronization” then after 5 minutes, It turned on for about a minute then threw an error. They blamed the grid voltage & hertz. But if it is the grid issue, the other one would run into the same problem. But it is not.

My Energy Advisor got back to me and said he was able to get the SolarEdge inverters back in and we're still set for an installation tomorrow. Hopefully no surprises when they come knocking at my door in the morning. I'll report back tomorrow on if this story has a happy ending or not haha.

Reactions: 3laine and wbhokie