Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Supercharger network

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Quick question that I think I already know the answer to. When using the supercharging network the number of onboard chargers does not matter correct (since the source is DC)? My friend has bought a perf (enroute from the factory) and mistakenly ordered only one onboard charger and wants to make sure he can use the supercharges anyway. By the way Tesla says it is north or $3,000 to retrofit a second charge controller into his Model S.

Hi All,

Quick question that I think I already know the answer to. When using the supercharging network the number of onboard chargers does not matter correct (since the source is DC)? My friend has bought a perf (enroute from the factory) and mistakenly ordered only one onboard charger and wants to make sure he can use the supercharges anyway. By the way Tesla says it is north or $3,000 to retrofit a second charge controller into his Model S.

I think that's right. I remember reading somewhere that the twin chargers don't help with supercharging. They do help with A/C charging though.

Thanks!

Yes he is kicking himself because if he had ordered the car with the twin chargers it was a $1,500 option but if he wants to put the second one in AFTER he gets the car Tesla is saying it is $3,000+. In fact he noticed the error while the car was on the line but it was too late.

Good news for Canada. Superchargers are most likely headed to to Ontario in the very near term. Or at least it is heavily implied by this tweet.

• Srdjan Pejic @batasrki
    @elonmusk what are Tesla's plans around installing Superchargers in Ontario, Canada? I'm seeing Model Ss around, wondering about long trips.

Elon Musk ✔ @elonmusk
@batasrki Stay tuned for a big Supercharger announcement in a few weeks. Definitely have you covered.

I saw a mention of a "Gen 2" Supercharger: http://www.edmunds.com/tesla/model-s/2013/long-term-road-test/2013-tesla-model-s-supercharged.html

I was now confident of where the superchargers were and I felt they would be available on a weekday morning. But when I came around the corner of Chili's, I thought, oh crap! A pickup truck was blocking the chargers and three guys had wires spread all over the place. For a horrible second I thought I would be stranded here among chain restaurants and tacky outlet stores. But my anxiety quickly diminished as one of the guys moved the truck and waved me in.
Turned out, they were installing two new superchargers to bring the total to four. One electrician described them as "gen 2" chargers and, in fact, the towers were taller.

I wonder what is different about the new Superchargers.

The number 90 on this SC says there will be different "models". Also implies they will not upgrade old sites with a simple software change.
2013_tesla_model-s_rear_lt_4072013_600.jpg

The number 90 on this SC says there will be different "models". Also implies they will not upgrade old sites with a simple software change.
2013_tesla_model-s_rear_lt_4072013_600.jpg

Not really since the hardware to do the charging is in another box nearby. It's the nearby box containing 10 "chargers" like the units onboard the car that give the maximum charge rate. It could be that the wiring is not rated for more than 90kW but I doubt it. If they upgrade the 10 charger unit to a 12 or 14 charger unit then the same station may be able to charge at the higher rates.

confirmed by Town of Normal this morning that Tesla is installing 10 superchargers in Bloomington/ Normal IL. My Hometown, hopefully I see a bunch of Model S's now!

Clprenz.. thanks for posting this! LizG reposted in our local Meetup Forum which led me to do some internet sleuthing (this is a repost from our local group).

Intrigued by this, I checked Normal's town site and found that there was a Town Council meeting this evening. On tonight's agenda was a resolution to adopt a Letter of Intent from Tesla Motors to install charging stations in Uptown Station.
Per the council action report:

1. Tesla may use up to ten (10) parking stalls within the Uptown Station parking deck with Town consent as to specific location.
2. Two (2) charging stalls shall serve as dedicated Tesla charging stalls, four (4) shall serve as general parking with the exception of overnight parking, and four (4) shall serve as unrestricted general parking. Tesla could convert stalls to dedicated Tesla stalls based on actual usage.
3. With Town consent as to location and construction plans, Tesla will install and maintain the Superchargers at its own cost.
4. Tesla will be responsible for operational costs, including the payment of electricity used by Tesla drivers.
5. Tesla drivers will pay regular parking deck fees.
6. The agreement term is five (5) years with two (2), five (5) year options to extend.

Based on initial study, it appears that the best location for the charging stations is the third floor of the Uptown Station parking deck. Tesla may choose not to install all ten stations at once. Installation is not anticipated to be disruptive to normal parking deck activities.
The Town has invested a significant amount of time and energy supporting the EVTown initiative. The effort has continued to gain national attention, as evidenced in part by the request by Tesla. Providing charging infrastructure for Tesla drivers is akin to the Level 3 quick charging offered to drivers of other EVs. In addition, it is reasonable to assume that Tesla drivers will avail themselves of goods and services located in the Uptown area while waiting for their cars to charge.
Furthermore, only two parking spaces in the deck will be fully dedicated to Tesla users. Tesla would only expand beyond two spaces if Tesla driver demand required it.
For these reasons, Town staff recommends that the Town Council authorize the execution of the proposed Letter of Intent with Tesla Motors, Inc. If approved, Town staff will work with Tesla to draft a binding ground lease.

Since it is only the agenda, there is no indication on how the council voted; though I would assume that they voted for the resolution. I suppose if I were motivated tomorrow I could call their City Clerk's office to find out the outcome of the vote. How excited would they be that someone from out of town, let alone out of state were calling to confirm the progress of their EV infrastructure?

Next question, assuming passage of the resolution, what is the timeline for the install? Also, having never seen a Tesla supercharger within the geographic context of interstate travel, does anyone know how the placement of these chargers compares to those already in service? I am sorta bummed about the distance from the interstate - about two miles, I believe - but at least there will be something to do while waiting for a charge.

View attachment NormalIL_TownCouncil_TeslaLOI.pdf

Last edited:
5. Tesla drivers will pay regular parking deck fees.

That one is interesting...

Here's the parking price structure (from http://www.normal.org/index.aspx?NID=557):

Parking Rates

Free: 1st Hour
All Day Sunday
6pm-12am Mon-Sat
*Free Parking only applies to College Ave & Uptown Station Decks

$1- Per Hour all other daytime hours
$2 -12am-6am
$6 -Per Day Maximum
$8 -Overnight
$40-Per month

If there's a line waiting to charge, this might mean you pay $1-2 for SC.

- - - Updated - - -

Update: Vote was 5-2 in favor...

Tesla Motors to install chargers in Normal parking deck

(Note they misspelled Tesla... ugh.)

One of the "no" votes asks "how much traffic will we see?" Dude, do a little internet research. How hard is it to find "Tesla Superchargers" in a search engine? Pick up the phone and talk to Gilroy or Harris Ranch?

Seriously, no research before you make up your mind about your vote?