Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (the company) killing itself slowly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Change is good. Oh and in case you didnt see all the millenials walking down the street with there smartphones, which does count as a possession.

Well yeah they care about that one possession very much :D

Generally speaking though, I think there's a bunch of research pointing to millennials not caring about luxury cars and Rolexes as much, and seeing traveling & eating well as better ways of spending money. I'm personally all about the Teslas and the Rolexes though :D

Reactions: neroden
Oh so I'm close to being a millennial? Time to start being entitled and lazy. No offense to the young folks on here that aren't entitled and lazy and I can readily acknowledge that not everyone is the same or has the same experience or acts like everyone else.

So it is entitled to expect the things you buy to work and if it doesn’t work get help to resolve it quickly? If I am going to spend 50k+ on a car every 2-4 years I expect some service level attached to it. Does Tesla want repeat customers that tell friends and family about how good their car is? If they do then customer care is one of the most important parts of the business. These days it seems like you are more or less just a nuisance as soon as they got your money, even before you get your car.

Tesla is always way down the list when we talk reliability but high in customer satisfaction. Now that they started saving money on the customer experience what do you think will happen to the customer satisfaction if reliability isn’t high? And lets face it, reliability haven’t gone through the roof.

On line forums are a very tiny percentage of the whole and they are the most vocal and most outspoken. While Tesla service experiences are far from perfect, my experiences have been that they are pretty much on par with other car companies...with our local Lexus being the outlier. They provide a vastly superior service experience to everyone. I'm sure that some have had bad experiences with Tesla service bc that is going to happen some of the time. I know I've also had some stellar experiences. Nothing beat the time the Ranger came to my house and fixed a problem while I waited. So, don't be too quick to assume that all service is bad bc you and even someone you know has had a bad experience.

I think everyone needs to stop thinking it is all about bad experiences, Tesla is currently cost cutting in the service areas and it not just some hit or miss individual problem.

It is both stopping warranty work where they see a systematic problem (for example yellowing screens) as well as reducing the service level with for example no phone contact.

I wish they could just start profiting from supercharging instead of cost cutting when it comes to service areas.

Last edited:
Not really. I just live in reality and understand the struggles of being a company that did not expand fast enough to meet demand. I dont have to constantly wine and complain about "oh my poor car has a little booboo and I demand to be put at the front of the line". Once you grow up and understand how it actually works let me know and we can have a real conversation.
No offence, but the more I see your (pathetic) efforts to reply to everybody and make sure that you have the last word, the more it reminds me of a situation when a little dog feels threatened and surrounded, it lounges in every direction growling and pretending to be tough...
And btw, I'm, most likely, older than you.
How's that for a real conversation?

No offence, but the more I see your (pathetic) efforts to reply to everybody and make sure that you have the last word, the more it reminds me of a situation when a little dog feels threatened and surrounded, it lounges in every direction growling and pretending to be tough...
And btw, I'm, most likely, older than you.
How's that for a real conversation?
Lol. Good one. Anyways. Not threatened one bit. Simply stating that not all Tesla owners have bad sc experiences and not all Tesla owners have good experiences but there are more positive then negative.

Should I type slower next time for you?

I will try and not respond just for you next time.....wait what is this forum for again?

Took numerous appointments to get the airbag replaced as was bounced back and forth between the SC and Mobile - the SC would refer to the Mobile which would take 3 weeks or more for an appointment, then they would cancel saying they didn't have the parts - then start all over 3 times.

The problems with Tesla are more alarming then the important questions of Customer Service.
1) There are no defined model years - so you can never know when to buy as the value of your investment may plument in a matter of days due to a model or feature change - in my case 10 days after delivery of my Model S in 2016.
2) Since you may have e.g. a 2019 - version 12, 19 or whatever -parts availability are difficult to source or track service difficulties with different models.
3) No local dealers to act as a buffer to get parts quickly or stock commonly needed parts, be more responsive, make a local market in used cars (not some national wholesaler making ridiculous offers), and give you the benefit of sales tax savings for only the difference. They also can front the cost for facilities, parts and car inventory leaving more cash for Tesla to use for product development and manufacturing. I am not a big fan of dealers but I recognize now that they do have a role.
4) volatile management with abrupt changes in policy (store closings, pricing, forecasts that are bizarre and rarely come true). The latest is the 1 million Model 3's next year on the road that will be robo-taxis, and refusing to consider Lidar that big companies like Google say is absolutely required.
5) build quality is highly variable - have paint runs on my car, and most recently there's been news reports from employees of electrical tape being used to hold broken plastic pieces together to get more Model 3's out the door.
6) questionable long-term financial stability of the company

I understand that most of the people on this forum think that Tesla can do no wrong, but I'm seriously considering going back to an ICE car until some stable EV manufacturer emerges.

So it is entitled to expect the things you buy to work and if it doesn’t work get help to resolve it quickly? If I am going to spend 50k+ on a car every 2-4 years I expect some service level attached to it. Does Tesla want repeat customers that tell friends and family about how good their car is? If they do then customer care is one of the most important parts of the business. These days it seems like you are more or less just a nuisance as soon as they got your money, even before you get your car.

Tesla is always way down the list when we talk reliability but high in customer satisfaction. Now that they started saving money on the customer experience what do you think will happen to the customer satisfaction if reliability isn’t high? And lets face it, reliability haven’t gone through the roof.
If I buy something i absolutely expect it to work and if it doesnt I will have it fixed. Which is what I have done with all the vehicles I have ever owned. I dont expect perfection which is part of the issue with some people on here and in the world. No such thing as a perfect vehicle with zero issue. If you havent seen it yet check out Autovlog on YouTube and see how the repairs on his Ferrari f12 are handled.

I was one who has supported Tesla even with the glitches, but when my M3 flash a signal that the 12V system failed and the car was dead and then 5 minutes later it came back to life. It said the car could possibly not start and may stop working, I had the ranger check it out and then mobile service contacted me to say the HV system may have A problem and to bring it to a SC,14 hrs of driving. The guy who has always been very nice and helpful told me basically tough *sugar*, no pick up with loaner car even though I had been promised this three times ( the reason I bought the car). And to make it even worse, the mobile service people gave me the contact for SCs, to which no one replied (he even said not to try calling because it will just leave you frustrated. "You want me to drive a car 7 hrs to get service when the car tells me it may not make it?"

Plans to get a Model Y are now gone; friends will be told to go elsewhere for their wheels. Too bad, but a great product is only great when it runs, you are not lied to, and people try to be helpful.

I was one who has supported Tesla even with the glitches, but when my M3 flash a signal that the 12V system failed and the car was dead and then 5 minutes later it came back to life. It said the car could possibly not start and may stop working, I had the ranger check it out and then mobile service contacted me to say the HV system may have A problem and to bring it to a SC,14 hrs of driving. The guy who has always been very nice and helpful told me basically tough *sugar*, no pick up with loaner car even though I had been promised this three times ( the reason I bought the car). And to make it even worse, the mobile service people gave me the contact for SCs, to which no one replied (he even said not to try calling because it will just leave you frustrated. "You want me to drive a car 7 hrs to get service when the car tells me it may not make it?"

Plans to get a Model Y are now gone; friends will be told to go elsewhere for their wheels. Too bad, but a great product is only great when it runs, you are not lied to, and people try to be helpful.

Tesla has a massive problem with inconsistency, everybody says something else. Making a plan based on what someone from Tesla said is a TERRIBLE idea, because you don't know what the person who's actually going to be in charge of the situation will feel like that day.

I think everyone needs to stop thinking it is all about bad experiences, Tesla is currently cost cutting in the service areas and it not just some hit or miss individual problem.

It is both stopping warranty work where they see a systematic problem (for example yellowing screens) as well as reducing the service level with for example no phone contact.

I wish they could just start profiting from supercharging instead of cost cutting when it comes to service areas.
The yellow screen problem and their refusal to fix it under warranty is frightening - see Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

What will be next in disavowed warranty claims?

The yellow screen problem and their refusal to fix it under warranty is frightening - see Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

What will be next in disavowed warranty claims?

Yeah, have they even fixed it in new cars yet? Or are they still selling cars with known defects that they try to not honor warranty for?

As I said the problem isn’t some individuals having a good or bad experience, the problem is the deliberate shift of policy to try to not honor warranty where it starts to get costly.

I haven't experienced any auto dealer giving free service to a 2 1/2 year old car without a struggle. Maybe we've forgotten. All but one dealership I have worked with offered loaners. I can't relate to the complaints since I've had excellent service. I read that Tesla is fixing the yellow screens per posts on this forum. There was a thread in this forum on how to get difficult repair issues resolved. If I can find it I'll share. This space should be for problem solving and information sharing not name calling or arguing. That won't fix the cars.