Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Tesla": The word that will get you a better Mercedes lease.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see these “comparisons” and I ask myself “why”? For better or worse, I was willing to sacrifice my “comfort zone” of ICE relegation to jumping on the train of evolution. Sure, I can compare EV to ICE everyday, in the end, I got what I paid for.....and some. I’ve never doubted or questioned my move.

My main concern is the reliability of the Tesla and its service centers.

Tesla is in the bottom three of all car brands for reliability as ranked by Consumer Reports. That's a concern. (Only Volvo and Cadillac are worse.) Based on the problems I have read about in this forum, that ranking is not unfounded.

However, I absolutely LOVED driving the M3. If Tesla had a service center where I could be guaranteed of a next day appointment, I would get one in a heartbeat.

As one person said in a post somewhere, I may be overanalyzing this. However, given that I change car brands about once every two decades, I want to make the right decision.

Reactions: groovidad

Tesla is in the bottom three of all car brands for reliability as ranked by Consumer Reports. That's a concern. (Only Volvo and Cadillac are worse.) Based on the problems I have read about in this forum, that ranking is not unfounded.

However, I absolutely LOVED driving the M3. If Tesla had a service center where I could be guaranteed of a next day appointment, I would get one in a heartbeat.

As one person said in a post somewhere, I may be overanalyzing this. However, given that I change car brands about once every two decades, I want to make the right decision.

The Consumer Reports reliability data makes no sense. The overall rating was low but if you look at the line by line detail the ratings are quite high. They dinged the overall reliability based on mostly 2017 data, and most of it was paint and cosmetics, not mechanical issues. I’ve been reading Consumer Reports for 40 years and almost did not buy a Tesla after reading their comments. But the 2019 cars coming off the line are far more reliable than the early 2017 models and neither of our cars have ever needed service.

You are over-worrying my friend is what you are doing. I came from Honda and Toyotas which are twice as reliable as your Mercedes cars. I have had a couple of issues but the Mobile service is so great I am not worried about it. Right now my horn is not working properly. The mobile tech is coming to my office Tuesday to fix it while I work. The cars are trans-formative. You will not ever consider going back once you own them. Even VOIP Ninja on this forum, who is I think fair to say a glass half empty BMW convert, does not regret his decision. And he has had more issues than most.

I came from a newer Mercedes C class. Rented a 3 for a long weekend via turo. When I got back to my Mercedes it felt like a piece of sh%&. I couldn't explain it. The gas, the shifting, all the buttons etc etc. Bought a 3 the next week. Noise level on the highway is similar.

What I wasnt expecting is how much I drive my car now. I was a 8-10k per year driver. Now I'm at 6k miles in 3 months of owning the 3.

The low cost / mile is a factor I assume. I'm nearly doubled my annual average kms because of the extra road trips. Entire road trip to and back equals 1 tank of gasoline.

Car is very fuel cost effective, it's cheaper to fuel than my 250cc Ninja. Ninja is still loads of fun though :)

The Consumer Reports reliability data makes no sense. The overall rating was low but if you look at the line by line detail the ratings are quite high. They dinged the overall reliability based on mostly 2017 data, and most of it was paint and cosmetics, not mechanical issues.

The fact that an engine replacement counts the same as a scuff mark, or any other issue that required service, tells you all you need to know about the metric.

There are a ton of tiny things that go wrong with model 3 right now. Paint defects, panel alignment, wheel well liners, left turn signal, throttle sensor, etc. None of which are serious. But all of which count the same as if your transmission broke, or your engine died on you.

I won’t put her in a Civic..Honda’s are great cars but too small and there are other cars much safer. She doesn’t need a lecture at all. She is a humble kid who is an honor student and top level athlete. She works her butt off. She likes me to drop her off at school down the street so people don’t see our Tesla because she doesn’t like the attention it gets. She does not want an expensive car, it’s me and her dad that want her in something newer that is reliable and super safe if she gets in a significant accident.

Nothing wrong with a Civic. The new ones are reliable, functional and safe. They are actually hatchbacks now with plenty of usable storage and they aren't very small cars anymore.

Consumer reports are paid shills(its the only damn explanation), their data makes zero sense, everyone I know that owns a tesla loves it like crazy, I have had my P3D+ for 1 year, 27,000 miles, is has NEVER been back to the service center, and has worked flawlessly, Did I mention I RACE this car at the track, yes you can drive it to work one day and race it the next, nothing is going to break on it, and I claim the Model 3 Performance is more fun to drive than the S lol (especially in track mode, you become an instant drift master)

• Funny
Reactions: jeffro01
@Petrocelli I was in your shoes a few months back, previously owned an E class wagon, father in law had a lovely C300 fully loaded.

Both of us test drove the 3, and the Mercs felt like a relic from a bygone era afterwards. He is buying a 3 when lease expires on the current car. I bought one a few weeks back.

I was worried about quality, but instead of forums asked colleagues, probably about 300 Tesla owners in my company. Hardly any had issues, and the few issues were minor. Mobile service is according to them excellent.

Took delivery of our 3 a few weeks ago, I scrutinized every inch of the car, found nothing! Last new car I bought, a Toyota, had a few scratches, so Tesla is ahead there.

Owning the car, I keep finding new things that make me realize how well thought out this vehicle is. Best car I ever owned...it is game changing.

On noise, I find it quieter than our Toyota, similar to the old Benz. I was worried about noise, so pleasantly surprised.

00B3706C-F9FA-43E7-A218-0F3FD96AEC39.jpeg
BC08C0D0-6977-44C9-8062-E255B3DE3928.jpeg
How would you compare the cabin noise of the C300 to the Model 3 on a Freeway at 70 MPH?

Thanks.
C300 definitely have softer and more comfortable suspension leading to quieter ride. I do love my 2015 C300 for its looks and interior luxuries. However, the w205 went through engine, TCU, AC fan motor replacement (all under warranty) so I can’t say which brand is more reliable. The AWD handling is superior in the Mercedes though. Model 3 AWD drives like a rwd, sliding and swinging all over on 1 inch snow.
I love them both at the end of day.

Attachments

• AB39F54C-F949-4336-B23A-378D3D3D3AA3.jpeg
    AB39F54C-F949-4336-B23A-378D3D3D3AA3.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Phlier
...I may be overanalyzing this...

No doubt.

Have you taken a Model 3 for an extended (multi-hour or multi-day) test drive? You may be able to arrange that if you ask...

In any case, given that ~95% of the responders here (and a similar percentage in CR's survey) have said that they'd buy the car again without question, not sure what other reassurance you need...?

not sure what other reassurance you need...?

The type of reassurance no one can provide.

Utopias don't exist. Even in cars. With good comes an occasional bad. Some folks in life think they can with all the research find something that can never have a bad. It's usually at that moment the bad happens. When they think they have found the holy grail. Just ask Indiana Jones.

Reactions: Phlier
I have not. But based on a 30 minute test drive, the M3 is, by far, the funnest (if that's a word) car I have ever driven.
First off, I gotta say I love the grace with which you've handled the trolls in this thread. You're a class act, my friend.

Second...It's time to take a leap of faith: buy (or lease) a Tesla. No, Tesla Customer Service is *not* at a Mercedes Benz level. But the car itself exceeds MB by quite a bit. If you are lucky enough to have the experience of a "typical" Tesla owner, you won't find yourself needing MB level of customer service when it comes to servicing your car; just rotate the tires and add washer fluid when needed. Other than those two things, just drive the car. :)

Judging by your taste in cars, a Model S might be more suited to you.

You really should take a Tesla on an "extended test drive." I'm 150 miles from my closest Tesla dealer. They offered to let me take any model Tesla I wanted on an overnight test drive. I didn't need to take them up on the offer, as the 20 minute test drive I took in a Model 3 was all the convincing I needed.... well, that and two years worth of reading about Tesla on the 'net. But take what you read here (and by "here" I mean anywhere on the 'net... especially Consumer Reports) with a grain of salt. The internet... misinforming people for over 80 years now. ;) The only thing that matters is what *you* think. Just make sure you're fully informed before you make your final decision. And IMO, the only way to really make sure you're fully informed is to take a car out on an extended test drive.

But in the end, it's all about taking that leap of faith... ;)

Last edited:
$600 a month doesn’t sound too bad but over 22 years is 160k, not to mention fuel costs between 35-60k depending on your personal factors.

We’ve had no issues with our model 3 thus far. Our x has had a few issues covered under warranty thus far.