Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla threatening my deposit

Is Tesla being unreasonable?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am an existing Tesla owner and have had a great experience with the sales and service staff so far. I was one of the first people in line to put down the deposit on the M3. When it asked me to configure it (about 2 months) ago, I was very excited and paid the $2,500 down payment. I then heard from my sales advisor that they were trying to get the car to me in a few days. This was about 5 weeks ago.

Then the SA went silent on me for a couple of weeks. My calls and emails were not answered. 3 weeks ago she told me that the car assigned to me was sold and they don't have a car for me. My current lease was overdue, which I had extended by a month for the M3. I told her that I am ok with ANY color as long as the car can be here in a week or so. Anyway, I got more silence from Tesla, so I gave up and purchased another car and asked that my down payment be refunded, leaving the initial $1000 deposit, so I could purchase the M3 at a future date.

But now Tesla called me yesterday and says I can either take delivery or they will forfeit my $3,500. I tried to explain that they are the ones that delayed the delivery of the car. And most people don't just add another car to their garage, but purchase cars as they need them and I don't need a 3rd car in my house. But they wouldn't listen and kept saying that I would loose my deposit.

I feel this is not very professional of Tesla. Being a fan boy and defending and promoting the brand to everyone, and this is the experience that I am having to go through, gives me pause.

I am an existing Tesla owner and have had a great experience with the sales and service staff so far. I was one of the first people in line to put down the deposit on the M3. When it asked me to configure it (about 2 months) ago, I was very excited and paid the $2,500 down payment. I then heard from my sales advisor that they were trying to get the car to me in a few days. This was about 5 weeks ago.

Then the SA went silent on me for a couple of weeks. My calls and emails were not answered. 3 weeks ago she told me that the car assigned to me was sold and they don't have a car for me. My current lease was overdue, which I had extended by a month for the M3. I told her that I am ok with ANY color as long as the car can be here in a week or so. Anyway, I got more silence from Tesla, so I gave up and purchased another car and asked that my down payment be refunded, leaving the initial $1000 deposit, so I could purchase the M3 at a future date.

But now Tesla called me yesterday and says I can either take delivery or they will forfeit my $3,500. I tried to explain that they are the ones that delayed the delivery of the car. And most people don't just add another car to their garage, but purchase cars as they need them and I don't need a 3rd car in my house. But they wouldn't listen and kept saying that I would loose my deposit.

I feel this is not very professional of Tesla. Being a fan boy and defending and promoting the brand to everyone, and this is the experience that I am having to go through, gives me pause.

With the demand and slow delivery, you’d think they’d just settle up with you and move on. It’s not like they would have to sit on that car for a hot second before the next person in line stepped up wanting it. My mother is 181,000th in line. Poor customer care.

Reactions: ACA Man and Teslie

By the sounds of it, you're not going to be buying the Model 3 for at least another year, by which time the Configurator may well be open without the need for a reservation.

I would recommend escalate the case to executive, since you already have another Tesla, you can do it by go to MyTesla-> Choose your car-> find "Support" -> choose "Escalate this concern for executive review".

I don't know that the OP bought another Tesla. They just said they bought another car.

If the OP has all the email chains, etc for this, then they might have to chase it using a CC chargeback or small claims court if they have no luck with Tesla.

Here is my take. I certainly understand the frustration. At the same time, deposits are forefeited by law. You had many solutions than breaking a contract with Tesla, such as short lease. Guess what would happen if 100,000 people changes their mind for what ever reason, the company would fall short. And there are many people like you who dont know how to plan. If you are buying an exotic vehicle like Tesla, you gotta be patient and reasonable, work with the company. So in a nut shell Tesla will do the right thing not to refund and create confusion.

I don't know that the OP bought another Tesla. They just said they bought another car.

If the OP has all the email chains, etc for this, then they might have to chase it using a CC chargeback or small claims court if they have no luck with Tesla.
Their first sentence started as "I am an existing Tesla owner and.." so one would assume they are current owner. I can't fathom how they could sell a car that has been assigned to you to someone else. Makes no sense. It's not like a traditional dealer where car is sitting on a lot and someone else can just buy it.

At the end of the day, Tesla has full rights to the deposit as said in the terms.
So you have to be the one to convince them for a refund. You can throw your email exchanges as proof of bad customer services...etc.
If you went through the phone then ... good luck to your money.
Oh, if you nag them enough they might give you back the money too.

Here is my take. I certainly understand the frustration. At the same time, deposits are forefeited by law. You had many solutions than breaking a contract with Tesla, such as short lease. Guess what would happen if 100,000 people changes their mind for what ever reason, the company would fall short. And there are many people like you who dont know how to plan. If you are buying an exotic vehicle like Tesla, you gotta be patient and reasonable, work with the company. So in a nut shell Tesla will do the right thing not to refund and create confusion.

Are you serious? Lol.

Are you serious? Lol.
Yes, I am. If you check the end of the thread, they are offering the delivery. We all know there has been a delay. If you can wait for years, you can certainly wait for a couple of more months. In business world a contract must be honoured. If you have a problem with service you escalate to resolve, but do not just break a contract.

Your statements don't sound right OP..... I don't think your car will be sold to anyone else. Did you ever get a VIN after you configured? Also, wouldn't a wise person finalize one purchase before going out to get another car? I would of made sure everything was squared away considering I paid and put myself in a binding contract for a Model 3 before buying another car.

Anyway, I got more silence from Tesla, so I gave up and purchased another car and asked that my down payment be refunded, leaving the initial $1000 deposit, so I could purchase the M3 at a future date.

Did someone at Tesla promise to refund your down payment, or did you assume they would just because you asked? It was clear the deposit was non-refundable and that there was no promise of an exact delivery date, only a time estimate. While it might not be compassionate, I'm not sure how Tesla is in the wrong enforcing the agreement.

I think you had a change of heart, and wanted your money back, I wish I had a car to drive while waiting, mine was totaled, I could have what I ready wanted, I got very close to it, I love my MS75, showroom car got a great discount, it only took 2weeks, I just wanted PUP, my next Tesla will have it, I will have a car to drive, and if it take 3weeks, or 4weeks, or 5weeks, it's ok, you had Tesla build you a car you wanted, now you want your money back.

OP here - I had a lease that I had extended by a month but I needed to turn in the car and get another so I just couldn’t wait anymore. I couldn’t get a hold of my SA at Tesla.

I did get a VIN initially and then was told later that the car was sold to someone else. I think all this happened during the factory closure, they just ran out of cars.

It’s not just the initial deposit but the $2500 down payment that’s not being refunded. What if they took another 2 months, was I supposed to just wait forever?

Reactions: Lunarx
This doesn't make any sense. You are still within the 3-6 week delivery estimate they give out when you place the order, but you had to run out and buy a car instead of renting one for a couple weeks? How did you survive the last 2 years?

No I configured and paid a deposit over 8-9 weeks ago. I would rent if they ever gave me a date of delivery which they didn’t.

Reactions: Arpe and Lunarx