Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to add the ability to Charge EV with excess solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

holeydonut

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2020
East Bay NorCal
Listings
Not sure if this is an Energy topic or EV topic, but I’m excited to try this.

I know some people had luck with ChargeHQ, but I didn’t. Clean EV charging here we come.

I saw this earlier today. Not unexpectedly Tesla is finally adding functionality to their app to charge your car on excess solar if this article is accurate. Sound like it has some more functionality than ChargeHQ. You can set a normal charging limit but allow the car to charge to a higher SOC when solar is available.

I'm on Android and don't have the new update available yet.

I saw this earlier today. Not unexpectedly Tesla is finally adding functionality to their app to charge your car on excess solar if this article is accurate. Sound like it has some more functionality than ChargeHQ. You can set a normal charging limit but allow the car to charge to a higher SOC when solar is available.

I'm on Android and don't have the new update available yet.

I just installed 4.19.0 and don't see any of these new features. If it's in this release, it's not enabled yet.

• Informative
Reactions: yblaser
Wonder if this feature requires the newer gen wall connectors and some integration there or if it will be just through the car. Like previous features I imagine they will be rolling it out in batches across the customer base. Good timing as hopefully will have a lot more excess solar in the next month.

This would be interesting. Starting in April, we have a lot of excess solar even after filling the Powerwalls.

I wonder if I need to upgrade from my Gen 2 referral Tesla Wall charger to one with more communication features. I would sure hate to lose the Elon signature face plate.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Wonder if this feature requires the newer gen wall connectors and some integration there or if it will be just through the car. Like previous features I imagine they will be rolling it out in batches across the customer base. Good timing as hopefully will have a lot more excess solar in the next month.

Yeah I have iOS app 4.19.0 and the Model 3 is on 2023.2.12 ... but I don't see any of these features yet.

Solar-only customers won't be able to do this?

Does your solar-only system show up on your Tesla app? To the extent you can see what energy your solar system is producing and what is being exported to the grid?

This would be interesting. Starting in April, we have a lot of excess solar even after filling the Powerwalls.

I wonder if I need to upgrade from my Gen 2 referral Tesla Wall charger to one with more communication features. I would sure hate to lose the Elon signature face plate.
Might require a gateway firmware update. My firmware was updated to 22.36.6 on March 10th, but my Google Play store isn't showing the app update for 4.19.0, so I'm still on 4.18.0 and can't confirm this.

The gateway login screen changed to this screen, but the REST API calls still appear to be functioning normally. If you click on "Tell me more" it takes takes you to a page for the Tesla Pro app with links to the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. You need an installer account to be able to use it, so I didn't download it. There is also a "Compliance" link at the bottom that had some FCC information two items. The first is Telit LE910B1-NA (4G LTE Module) and the second is LGIT TWFS-B005D (WiFi module). Tesla must have been dinged about not having this info available from a regulator body.

1678984843754.png

The Gen 3 wall charger I have doesn't seem to do any communicating with the Gateway 2 or the vehicle. The only communications settings I see are for the situation where you set up multiple Gen 3 chargers on one circuit, and they can be configured to load-balance with each other.

But IIRC the signature on the referral black face plate is just printed on. You can get a Gen 3 charger, shiny red face plate, and people on Etsy sell vinyl copies of Elon's signature.

Reactions: jgleigh and jboy210
I wouldn’t think there would be any requirement for wall chargers. Now if the wall charger would connect to the gateway so the system would work without home network or internet, that would be another thing.
But the gateway can also talk to the car thru home network or cellular data, as each have both.
Can’t wait for this to go live.

Might require a gateway firmware update. My firmware was updated to 22.36.6 on March 10th, but my Google Play store isn't showing the app update for 4.19.0, so I'm still on 4.18.0 and can't confirm this.

The gateway login screen changed to this screen, but the REST API calls still appear to be functioning normally. If you click on "Tell me more" it takes takes you to a page for the Tesla Pro app with links to the Google Play Store and Apple App Store. You need an installer account to be able to use it, so I didn't download it. There is also a "Compliance" link at the bottom that had some FCC information two items. The first is Telit LE910B1-NA (4G LTE Module) and the second is LGIT TWFS-B005D (WiFi module). Tesla must have been dinged about not having this info available from a regulator body.

View attachment 918201
This is a long time coming. Before this, the customer could log in to the installer portal and change settings.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
This is a long time coming. Before this, the customer could log in to the installer portal and change settings.
I've never tried logging in as an installer as I assumed that there would be some Tesla password on it. That option is still available on the login screen, I just screencap'ed the customer selection. Maybe Tesla will force Installer commands through the Tesla Pro app in the future, but right now both options are available.

Last edited:

I dont think people are absorbing what @Redhill_qik 's post in post #10 is actually going to mean, longer term (as in, if / when "installer" disappears from the login screen when you login locally, and you can only login as a customer).

Right now, logging in as installer is pretty simple, no password actually needed, at least not on my gateway 1 install.

Very nice. I have a hacked-up version of this running in Home Assistant but will be glad to hand that off to a better developed version in the app.
ohmman,

Could you describe briefly the behavior of your "hack"? I've manually charged the EV during "excess" solar production, but it required constant attention and adjustment. I thought it might be nice to automate it to save a few $ on Non-Bypassable-Charges. I hope Tesla's version will work on my set-up, and do the right thing, but I'll just have to wait and see.

In any case, assuming this new feature does become available, it would be interesting to see how it compares with your solution.

Thank you.