Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to adopt 'local' charging stations: CCS/CHAdeMO/GB

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Model 3 unfortunately not. An EU driving licence is not valid in China ;)
While your statement is valid, your conclusion is not.

One can obtain a Chinese driving license without living in China and register your foreign licensed car without being in China also. I know one person who did it when he drove his car Paris to Singapore. The process varies by region, I’m told but Shanghai is allegedly preferred because they are most restrictive, not so for BEV’s.

I do not know the process and I know it is not practical, but epoch-making trips like that are never ‘practical’ anyway. On several different foraa there are discussions from people who have made such trips. A few times a year there is local coverage in Rio de Janeiro about hardy souls who are driving around the world.

The legal part is cumbersome, but doable. The BEV part is, it seems, doable too. The problems from a Tesla perspective are having all the needed adapters, organizing charging in remote areas (everywhere there are welding shops, hospitals/clinics or other facilities with electricity. The planning will be critical, but certainly it can be done!

I dream of two Tesla trips: Deadhorse, Alaska to Tierra del Fuego and Paris to Singapore.

Note: you should not necessarily trust my judgement. I drove Paris-Tehran, Bangkok-Vientiane, Delhi-Kathmandu all more than 40;years ago. Adventures and exotic problems will happen. It does help to have multiple citizenship’s and driving licenses plus a vehicle registered originally in a fairly non-polemic jurisdiction. My travel companion and I Paris-Tehran had four nationalities between us, and our car was registered in two countries. One needs logistics and political planning for such voyages.

• Informative
Reactions: Model 3 and smac
@jbcarioca Great post.

I've driven to/through most EU countries on various road trips, which is really a breeze in terms of planning given the Schengen agreement.

I would have loved to have driven in China, but renting a car was a non starter (let alone the challenges of getting a pure tourist visa complete with mandated booking schedule if it's your first trip.)

Who knows though maybe one day I'll be one of those "hardy souls".

In the NA market, really hard to say, I'm not close enough to it. I don't think anyone there would complain if the new flap contained a CCS port. If the bodywork has to change to add a flap for China and EU, then you might as well put something there, and CCS wouldn't be without merit.
There are two pluses to adding a CSS port for the North American market. Obviously it adds use of the CSS DC fast charging stations, but the other benefit is that the port includes a native J1772 inlet. It would eliminate the need to use a separate adapter piece for public J1772 stations. Minor benefit, but it gets you two positive things from the addition of that one port.

Reactions: Model 3
There are two pluses to adding a CSS port for the North American market. Obviously it adds use of the CSS DC fast charging stations, but the other benefit is that the port includes a native J1772 inlet. It would eliminate the need to use a separate adapter piece for public J1772 stations. Minor benefit, but it gets you two positive things from the addition of that one port.
I agree that TSL02 + SAE Combo would be a good solution for North America and would easily fit behind the Model 3 flap. In addition to the benefits you listed, it would allow compatibility with all major North American charging systems (SuperChargers, Destination Chargers, CHAdeMO, CCS-1, J1772) However, if you allow AC input on the J1772 portion of the SAE Combo inlet then you need to switch the AC lines AND the DC lines so that the unused port is completely de-energized. The solution above for the Chinese market has only one AC input and only one DC input, so no input switching is necessary.

@miimura Very good point. I'd missed the issue that if Tesla had decided to keep the existing port it would some how need to sense which was in use and disconnect the other. Doable for sure, but would require multiple contactors and some fairly robust fail safe mechanism.

Good call sir!