Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to fix smart charging (wake vehicle from sleep via Zappi charge)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There seems to be an odd mixture of cars which work correctly and wake up as expected, and others that appear to refuse to wake up to charge. Mine is a 2021 MiC M3 and works beautifully (no doubt jinxed it now) with my Zappi. Be that waking up to charge off PV or for a timed boost during the night. I haven’t yet updated to 4.15, so that may change things, though hopefully not.

This isn’t simply a case of 2021 refresh models having an issue (unless it’s a difference between Freemont 2021 and MiC 2021?) and people on the same firmware versions are seeing differing behaviour, so there’s clearly something more complicated going on.

My 2020 LR on 2021.4.12.2 is waking up on eco+
Ditto Eco+ / Go Faster - set timer in app for 02.30-06.30 (2021.4.15).

(....I discovered last year is that if a charge is stopped via the app or car & the car remains plugged in then it won't charge via a Zappi timer unless unplugged & then reconnected. As a consequence, to stop a charge I reduce the slider in the app to a lower amount than current, resetting it when unplugged or just before I set the next timer).

This isn’t simply a case of 2021 refresh models having an issue (unless it’s a difference between Freemont 2021 and MiC 2021?) and people on the same firmware versions are seeing differing behaviour, so there’s clearly something more complicated going on.
I really wouldn't be surprised if it's a difference between Freemont and MiC...

My 2020 M3P is struggling to wake from sleep to charge when the charger 'kicks in'. If I wake the car from the app during the charging period it starts charging immediately - if the car is awake when the charger 'kicks in' it's fine as well.

Raised a service request, they asked me to do some tests (which I did) and after reviewing the logs the issue has been escalated for further investigation.

For reference, my wife's e208 works perfectly every time.

I'll keep you posted...

My ticket has been closed after being escalated to ‘off site Tesla Engineering’. Confirmed there IS an issue after deep diving in the logs, they are aware and “will be resolved in future firmware”. Just like the 2019 story. Wait begins again…

Reactions: spooksman
We're in contact with an engineer at the SeC. Asks a lot to try things like open the door etc when stopping with charging. I don't have a lot of confidence in them fixing it like this...
I found it best to quote timings to them so they can look at the logs. For example my charger was set for 8:30pm and the car was asleep. At 8:33pm I woke the car in the app/or opened a door and the car woke up and immediately started to charge.
I repeated this over several nights and then Tesla could confirm this on their end via the logs with timings. Hope that helps.

Reactions: spooksman
I found it best to quote timings to them so they can look at the logs. For example my charger was set for 8:30pm and the car was asleep. At 8:33pm I woke the car in the app/or opened a door and the car woke up and immediately started to charge.
I repeated this over several nights and then Tesla could confirm this on their end via the logs with timings. Hope that helps.
Yeah we did that. I also included the screenshots I posted earlier, so they have exact times and know what happened.

I am having the same issue. Mine is a MIC M3LR 2021 and have Zappi v2. When it does work its great, happily putting 3.5kw in the car but sooner or later the car goes to sleep, I have to unplug, replug and miraculously it starts charging again. But this isn't much use unless you want to spend your life monitoring your app or standing next to your car!