Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to produce all-wheel drive Model S sedan next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nice indeed. Just in time for the X, and possible S upgrade.

The article is sketchy on performance though. I'd expect a slight performance gain, but they're still posting the 4.2 number (wasn't that proven to be faster real world?). I guess it is based on an insider source so maybe details are light.

Think this will be announced during the earnings call? That would be interesting.

Also surprised there has been no official statement on the other package changes/price increases. I expect that if no statement is given, Elon will certainly be peppered with questions about it on Wednesday...

Awesome news, but I can already see the all the thread post a year from now.

1) Will I/When can I retrofit a front motor!
2) I haven't taken delivery, but I would like to add this to my option!
3) This is Tesla's X th time doing a price increase!

You really think there would be a price depreciation? not everyone prefers AWD [look at 911, BMW 330/325 Ix vs I etc] and I presume it will be another $$ increase.

cheers,

bond

Good point. It might me a regional preference. I'm in Chicago and the MB 4matics carry a premium, so thinking of relative value in the area. I guess it will be a regional preference, but I would choose AWD versus rear wheel if given the choice.

This will be a huge price depreciation for existing S models. Great idea and I would likely upgrade,but glad I got the repurchase option from Wells for exactly this type of change.

Why would there be a price depreciation? It says that it will be an option to the upgrade as an alternative trim to the performance.

I am thinking performance and heavy duty options. Performance for people who like speed and heavy duty option that lets you drag a trailer and have all wheel drive.

It's a great option for states that get nasty winters.

Infiniti, BMW, and Merc sell tons of AWD X models in New England. Enthusiasts prefer the simpler and lighter RWD variants with maybe winter tires if you need to drive in snow.

Good to have the option if you want it and makes sense because of the shared platform of the MS and MX. You would give up some frunk space of course...

One thing for sure, I'll trade my current P85 for an AWD P85+ the day it will become available (I know I was one of the few ones who was unhappy of Model's snow performance in harsh winter conditions). Four of my friends will also order their AWD Model S as soon as it becomes available.

I don't see how they can AWD and not loose mileage. So is there a chance they put a bigger battery in the AWD models? If not, that means it would get less miles per recharge. Either way, I don't see it really effecting resale on the current Model S.

Somewhat related from an old article :
Tesla Motors Inc (TSLA): The 3 Tesla Secrets - Seeking Alpha

"Fortuitously Tesla may have a solution already in their parts-bin. The delayed Model X is to be built on the Model S platform and parts for the all-wheel-drive version are already in production - the S85 rear wheel drive inverter/motor and the Toyota(TM) RAV-4 EV front wheel drive inverter/motor. The Model S platform was designed to accept this configuration from the beginning with little modification - and no changes to the body, frame, battery pack, interior or suspension.

With the all-wheel-drive system, peak torque increases by 50%, and because all wheels are driven, this torque can be effectively turned into acceleration without smoking the tires. And the only significant new component is a different - frunk liner. (The front wheel drive goes in that recess at the back of the frunk...)

Adding the front wheel power unit to Model S increases available torque and because all wheels are driven, this extra torque increases acceleration without wheel-spin."

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375756501.906868.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1375756501.906868.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,108
This is going to be a $20-30k option, no doubt about it.

Also, the above article is wrong, as the rav4 ev uses the same drive unit as the RWD model s. The front drive unit for the model X looks much smaller, and the gearbox is integrated differently.

This is going to be a $20-30k option, no doubt about it.

Also, the above article is wrong, as the rav4 ev uses the same drive unit as the RWD model s. The front drive unit for the model X looks much smaller, and the gearbox is integrated differently.

Where is there a picture of the X front drive?

BTW the present S front chassis has no provision for FWD so at least several changes will have to be made.
1092604_10200979554544519_1136242604_o.jpg

Awesome news, but I can already see the all the thread post a year from now.

1) Will I/When can I retrofit a front motor!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

One thing for sure, I'll trade my current P85 for an AWD P85+ the day it will become available (I know I was one of the few ones who was unhappy of Model's snow performance in harsh winter conditions). Four of my friends will also order their AWD Model S as soon as it becomes available.

I will just fit dedicated winter tires.

I don't see how they can AWD and not loose mileage. So is there a chance they put a bigger battery in the AWD models? If not, that means it would get less miles per recharge. Either way, I don't see it really effecting resale on the current Model S.

I talked with one of the engineers about that, and actually they thought they could be more efficient and have better acceleration across the entire speed range. One motor more efficient at higher speeds and low torque, where the other was more efficient at high torque and lower speeds while the car distributes the power where it is needed and then most efficient in cruise.

This makes perfect sense. With Tesla having pushed off the Model X, this gives them the opportunity to extend Model S's success, while at the same time getting the AWD technology perfected. Once an AWD Model S is availble, you can see that the Model X development will essentially be done.. The only other difference is the body and wacky rear doors. It's a natural progression of the product line, since the Model X is built on the same platform as the Model S. It's going to be costly, and not really affect the value that much of existing Model S's, not everyone is going to want/need AWD (and want to pay for it as well).

I once heard a quote about Tesla: whatever you have bought in the past is always going to be inferior to what they can currently produce in the factory, it's just how it goes, and how it must be to move forward. I'm sure they'll make an upgrade via a trade-in program available, and they'll have a vibrant "Certified Pre Owned" Model S program up, and the people waiting for Gen3's might be able to afford a used Model S well before availability of the Gen3 model.