Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to produce all-wheel drive Model S sedan next year

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is going to be a $20-30k option, no doubt about it.

Also, the above article is wrong, as the rav4 ev uses the same drive unit as the RWD model s. The front drive unit for the model X looks much smaller, and the gearbox is integrated differently.

Exactly. It would be inelegant engineering to use the same setup for front drive like the Rav4 (with nutty torque steer).

It only needs about half to 2/3's of the torque on the front wheels during acceleration.

Do you think they would initially restrict AWD to the performance version to justify the price then? Even the non performance AWD 85 kWh version would likely have a 0-60 time close to the regular P85 unless they limited the power a little (my guess).

No substance what so ever to this article. I could have written it six months ago. All speculation. Of course they are more or less right, as were many of us in thinking this the day Model X was mentioned the first time.

I once heard a quote about Tesla: whatever you have bought in the past is always going to be inferior to what they can currently produce in the factory, it's just how it goes, and how it must be to move forward.

In many ways, it seems the boys out there near Silicon Valley are following the development curve of many of the other products that originate there: Release base functionality, then iterate with small improvements rapidly. Add features via software until a hardware jump is necessary.

Of course, Moores law doesn't apply to cars, so it's not the SAME level of rapid progress as seen with semiconductors... but the car is a rolling software platform built on modular electronics... and many of the same disciplines apply...

http://www.theverge.com/2013/8/5/4592248/tesla-to-produce-all-wheel-drive-model-s-sedan-next-year

Coming off its first profitable quarter in company history, Tesla is preparing an all-wheel drive version of its popular Model S electric sedan, The Verge has learned from sources familiar with the situation. The new model could launch as soon as early 2014, and may initially be offered in an ultra-premium (and ultra-expensive) trim with performance equal to or better than the current "P85" drivetrain that delivers 0-60 mph in an impressive 4.2 seconds.

BETTER PERFORMANCE, BETTER TRACTION

It would be a logical move for Tesla, which is already prepping an AWD chassis for its upcoming Model X SUV. Today, the Model S is only available in a rear-wheel drive configuration, which — though preferred by many driving enthusiasts — can be unforgiving in less-than-ideal weather. An AWD option could potentially help Tesla sell its sedan into markets with harsh winters without sacrificing performance; indeed, many modern sports cars send power to all four wheels thanks to benefits in traction and handling. And notably, comments by Elon Musk made during Tesla's June shareholder meeting point to an all-wheel drive chassis hitting the market in the 2014-2015 time frame — Musk mentions the chassis separately from the Model X, suggesting that it could find its way into other vehicles.

What an AWD Model S won't do, seemingly, is help deliver Musk's stated goal of a $30,000 electric sedan in the coming years — though it's reasonable to guess that technology developed for the Model X and improvements in the Model S will trickle down to the smaller, cheaper model by the time it debuts later this decade.

Tesla declined to comment for this story.

I'm ready, Elon! :love:

- - - Updated - - -

Whoops, merged posts. Did a search but didn't find this thread, my bad! Any way to edit?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice indeed. Just in time for the X, and possible S upgrade.

The article is sketchy on performance though. I'd expect a slight performance gain, but they're still posting the 4.2 number (wasn't that proven to be faster real world?). I guess it is based on an insider source so maybe details are light.

This seems like such a great combination. An S & an X in the garage, plus a long-range ICE vehicle for trips (or just do a rental if you don't go long distances that often).

I thought I might see an AWD Model S at the the Refuel event at Laguna Seca, but they didn't bring one. According to a (very) well-placed person in drivetrain engineering that I spoke with, I shouldn't look for one until after the Model X comes out. I don't know the Verge's source for this, but I'd wait for the official word before getting my hopes up.

I don't see how they can AWD and not loose mileage. So is there a chance they put a bigger battery in the AWD models? If not, that means it would get less miles per recharge. Either way, I don't see it really effecting resale on the current Model S.

But its also possible that the regeneration would be more efficient because it can use the front wheels for stronger regen braking and even less need for brake pad braking.

But i suppose the amount of regen is limited both by the ability of the battery to absorb it as well as the ui issue of how to trigger the strongest regen braking need. Is lifting off the accel completely the best way to engage full strong regen? That would be like slamming on the brakes every time you lifted off the accel. To capture the most regen it seems that they would have integrate the brake pedal to trigger the strongest regen above the more moderate amount hat is available from lifting off the accel.

+1 ! :smile: Just waiting for AC1K to start a thread on how terrible Tesla is because he can't afford one, and it's now out of reach of people interested in M5's.

What do you mean? i own a performance 85 with everything except the jump seats (already paid off 1/10 of the car)

anyways, 660lbs/ft of torque sounds fun, this should push the S into super car territory for acceleration.

Model S AWD could well be an important car for marketing. Tesla could use AWD and two motors plus some kind of high performance mode to earn 2.9s or less in 0-60; many car fans and media will be enthusiastic about it.
No I agree that performance is not necessary for most people, but it could push Tesla brand higher up and boost sales.

Uh, I have no idea the above number in 0-60 is possible or not, so apologies in advance!

Model S AWD could well be an important car for marketing. Tesla could use AWD and two motors plus some kind of high performance mode to earn 2.9s or less in 0-60; many car fans and media will be enthusiastic about it.
No I agree that performance is not necessary for most people, but it could push Tesla brand higher up and boost sales.

Uh, I have no idea the above number in 0-60 is possible or not, so apologies in advance!

2.9s is entirely possible, most AWD electric super cars are 2.8s (Rimac Concept 1 for example)

Totally make sense. This is my bet so far. A much more expensive Model S but with supercar performance.

Isn't this article speculation rather than real insight into what Tesla is doing? I thought somebody here spoke to an engineer at Teslive and they said they aren't even thinking about starting work on anything like this. I personally wouldn't hold off on a purchase hoping that this turns out to be true.

Isn't this article speculation rather than real insight into what Tesla is doing? I thought somebody here spoke to an engineer at Teslive and they said they aren't even thinking about starting work on anything like this. I personally wouldn't hold off on a purchase hoping that this turns out to be true.

The Verge quotes an unnamed source -- presumably a Tesla insider:

"Tesla is preparing an all-wheel drive version of its popular Model S electric sedan, The Verge has learned from sources familiar with the situation. The new model could launch as soon as early 2014, "

The Verge quotes an unnamed source -- presumably a Tesla insider:

"Tesla is preparing an all-wheel drive version of its popular Model S electric sedan, The Verge has learned from sources familiar with the situation. The new model could launch as soon as early 2014, "

So the question is, "What is the Verge's track record for Tesla announcements (or at least automotive announcements in general".

I think it's better to go on their track record in general. They are pretty reputable and wouldn't go publishing something they made up IMO. Couple that with the fact that this is almost common sense and I don't have any doubt that someone told them that.

Now, whether or not that person was 100% accurate is another story.