Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: mongo
Isuzu D-Max is what most of the farmers seem to use these days round here

I can only imagine that Tesla is looking at their pickup as a US market only thing, since it would be next to useless here with the sorts of specifications you guys are throwing about.

That's why Tesla should create a 100% electric truck that's close to the size of a Model X, with consideration of the roads and parking spaces in other countries including the UK. This way there will be minimal changes needed in the global roll out of it (aside from standard things such as the steering wheel location).

The new truck's gate / bed should also allow for easy access and be reliable as well as functional so people can easily move larger and potentially dirty items such as plants, furniture, tools, etc.

"When it comes to building the best trucks in the world, we never rest. Whether they’re gas, diesel, hybrid—or when the time comes, fully electric—we will ensure they power the world in a sustainable way and remain Built Ford Tough." -Bill Ford
Bill Ford Hints At Future Pure Electric Ford F-150

"when the time comes" = when Tesla beats them to market with a full EV full size truck and sells a shxt-ton of them. Thus forcing Ford to build an EV F-150 to complete. I look forward to that day.

Reactions: EinSV and mongo
"When it comes to building the best trucks in the world, we never rest. Whether they’re gas, diesel, hybrid—or when the time comes, fully electric—we will ensure they power the world in a sustainable way and remain Built Ford Tough." -Bill Ford
Bill Ford Hints At Future Pure Electric Ford F-150

"when the time comes" = when Tesla beats them to market with a full EV full size truck and sells a shxt-ton of them. Thus forcing Ford to build an EV F-150 to complete. I look forward to that day.

I predict Tesla never makes a 1/2 ton (150 series) truck. Straight to single (optional dual) tire 1 ton (fifth wheel, goose neck). The motors are powerful enough to tow whatever, so for the weight penalty of a little more metal, they can cover the entire range with one vehicle. Adjustable shocks and air suspension provide ride quality and rake over the entire loading range.

Edit: optional dual motor rear axle (so I suppose they could make a lighter duty single motor rear axle and a heavy duty with the same frame...)

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
I predict Tesla never makes a 1/2 ton (150 series) truck. Straight to single (optional dual) tire 1 ton (fifth wheel, goose neck). The motors are powerful enough to tow whatever, so for the weight penalty of a little more metal, they can cover the entire range with one vehicle. Adjustable shocks and air suspension provide ride quality and rake over the entire loading range.

Edit: optional dual motor rear axle (so I suppose they could make a lighter duty single motor rear axle and a heavy duty with the same frame...)
I think it might be a mistake to put any additional cost into the Tesla truck. Even if it is a "little more metal", the 1/2 ton truck market is the #1 (Ford), #2 (Chevy) and #3 (Ram) selling vehicles in the US right now. In order to compete, Tesla needs to keep the cost down. People are willing to pay a premium, but at what point does that premium make sales potentially go from competing with the top three selling trucks to competing with the Nissan Titan ~ 1/20 of the sales of Ford? Tesla needs more mass market cars to continue to increase profits. Designing and building a $120,000+ USD 1 ton truck will not add much to sales.

I think it might be a mistake to put any additional cost into the Tesla truck. Even if it is a "little more metal", the 1/2 ton truck market is the #1 (Ford), #2 (Chevy) and #3 (Ram) selling vehicles in the US right now. In order to compete, Tesla needs to keep the cost down. People are willing to pay a premium, but at what point does that premium make sales potentially go from competing with the top three selling trucks to competing with the Nissan Titan ~ 1/20 of the sales of Ford? Tesla needs more mass market cars to continue to increase profits. Designing and building a $120,000+ USD 1 ton truck will not add much to sales.

Right, a 120k truck is not attractive.
What is the difference between a 150 and a 350? The engine, transmission, brakes, and suspension/frame.
A pair of Tesla motors can power a 350 without any issue, so there is no great advantage to down size for the 1/2 ton version.
Take a 3 AWD at 50k and add 5k worth of steel and 5k (50kWh) of battery and you're at 60k, no need for a 120k base price.

I'm thinking the options will be:
2WD + single motor rear axle
2WD + Dual motor rear axle
4WD + Single
4WD + Dual
And two-three pack sizes

They can use different shocks/ air suspension for different the GVWR range, but I don't see it being economical to have multiple frames for the different options, especially since the minimum wheelbase is limited by the battery pack.