Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
The other problem with larger trucks is they won't fit in a garage. That is a larger problem for an EV than a gas car.

That is true, a 4 door cab plus 8 foot bed is long. However, the 8-12 cylinder longitudinally mounted engine gets removed from the front allowing much less hood.
Weight capacity with air suspension should not impact the dimensions though.

That is true, a 4 door cab plus 8 foot bed is long. However, the 8-12 cylinder longitudinally mounted engine gets removed from the front allowing much less hood.
Weight capacity with air suspension should not impact the dimensions though.

I have a 4 door 5 foot bed right now and it barely fits my garage. That also is the most popular configuration currently sold in trucks (for just that garage reason!). Anything bigger than that is, IMO, a huge mistake for Tesla. You can save some room in the front but not 4 feet, maybe 2 feet but even so that would look awfully strange. If I can't park in the garage, I cannot charge a truck, not to mention parking a guaranteed over 100k truck outside is just asking for trouble.

I have a 4 door 5 foot bed right now and it barely fits my garage. That also is the most popular configuration currently sold in trucks (for just that garage reason!). Anything bigger than that is, IMO, a huge mistake for Tesla. You can save some room in the front but not 4 feet, maybe 2 feet but even so that would look awfully strange. If I can't park in the garage, I cannot charge a truck, not to mention parking a guaranteed over 100k truck outside is just asking for trouble.

Humm... teloscopic extend-o-bed?
Or maybe they do go multiple wheelbase.

I'm a Ford Raptor owner now (4-door cab, 5.5 ft box) and can just squeeze it into my garage. Parking spots in almost every place I visit (even here in Alberta, where the pickup truck is not only king, but also queen and both princes) are too narrow and in some cases too short. The mock-up image shown on the Semi unveiling, of a Semi-like (and sized) rig with a bed and an F-series in the bed, is not the truck for me.

Having said that, the reason I have a truck in the first place is for the stupefyingly heavy snow my area sees. In fact just this past week we had a dump of over 50cm (18+ inches) that forced even me to sideline the Raptor and stay home snowbound for 2 days. Other family members with SUVs routinely find themselves high-centering their axles on the snow drifts.

The mock-up shown on the Semi unveiling may or may not have been a joke, but it looked to be pretty low to the ground. Between the industry workers and the recreationalists, I don't think you're going to find many people interested in a slammed pickup truck. I live 10 minutes from a major off-road recreation area and my stock Raptor is frequently one of the shortest trucks there.

I'm expecting to be able to look at getting my first Tesla sometime in 2020 or 2021 (and probably keeping the Raptor as my "toy"). If the offerings stay the same as they appear now (assuming the pickup mock-up is what comes to market), I'm still looking towards a 3.

I'm a Ford Raptor owner now (4-door cab, 5.5 ft box) and can just squeeze it into my garage. Parking spots in almost every place I visit (even here in Alberta, where the pickup truck is not only king, but also queen and both princes) are too narrow and in some cases too short. The mock-up image shown on the Semi unveiling, of a Semi-like (and sized) rig with a bed and an F-series in the bed, is not the truck for me.

Having said that, the reason I have a truck in the first place is for the stupefyingly heavy snow my area sees. In fact just this past week we had a dump of over 50cm (18+ inches) that forced even me to sideline the Raptor and stay home snowbound for 2 days. Other family members with SUVs routinely find themselves high-centering their axles on the snow drifts.

The mock-up shown on the Semi unveiling may or may not have been a joke, but it looked to be pretty low to the ground. Between the industry workers and the recreationalists, I don't think you're going to find many people interested in a slammed pickup truck. I live 10 minutes from a major off-road recreation area and my stock Raptor is frequently one of the shortest trucks there.

I'm expecting to be able to look at getting my first Tesla sometime in 2020 or 2021 (and probably keeping the Raptor as my "toy"). If the offerings stay the same as they appear now (assuming the pickup mock-up is what comes to market), I'm still looking towards a 3.

I think the truck hauling a truck was not the intended design.

Going to the adjustable bed idea. Since there is no driveshaft, the rear axle/drive unit and rear portion of the frame could be one unit. A two piece bed on frame rails could give a 4.5- 8 foot range. To change length, the truck would unlock the frame, run the rear motors to adjust the length, then relock the frame.

This setup keeps the crumple zone intact and only requires minimal extra hardware. Fifth wheel capacity is maintained by having that as part of the rear module. Really crazy would be a three section version that goes to 12 feet plus tailgate for hauling siding...

Having owned...

Mazda B2300
Ford Ranger
Silverado Z71
Ram 1500
Ram 2500 Cummins

If the Tesla Truck is anything even close to the 2019 Ram 1500 I’ll throw down the first deposit.

I’d buy that scaled down Semi monster but I’d like to be able to fit it in my garage. Something I couldn’t do with my 2500.

Reactions: Qbenjamin and mongo
Having owned...

Mazda B2300
Ford Ranger
Silverado Z71
Ram 1500
Ram 2500 Cummins

If the Tesla Truck is anything even close to the 2019 Ram 1500 I’ll throw down the first deposit.

I’d buy that scaled down Semi monster but I’d like to be able to fit it in my garage. Something I couldn’t do with my 2500.

Which dimension on the 2500 was the limiting factor?

Which dimension on the 2500 was the limiting factor?

If I’m 100% honest, it would fit with the mirrors folded but then my wife could barely get in her Jeep and I had to slither my way into the truck. Getting the kids/car seat in or walking around the garage? Forget about it. Had about 2” to spare front and rear and had to be parked perfectly. Always left it outside because while possible, it wasn’t liveable.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
If I’m 100% honest, it would fit with the mirrors folded but then my wife could barely get in her Jeep and I had to slither my way into the truck. Getting the kids/car seat in or walking around the garage? Forget about it. Had about 2” to spare front and rear and had to be parked perfectly. Always left it outside because while possible, it wasn’t liveable.

Sounds like you need two vehicles with a good version of summon (and well placed charge cables) .;)

Already started saving for the truck like I did previously for the Model 3. I'll have this car paid off before they do the reservations, so I'll be ready. That 500 mile range tease is just too tempting, especially for my road trips to Vegas. Three charging stops instead of seven? Yes, please.

Already started saving for the truck like I did previously for the Model 3. I'll have this car paid off before they do the reservations, so I'll be ready. That 500 mile range tease is just too tempting, especially for my road trips to Vegas. Three charging stops instead of seven? Yes, please.
My enthusiasm is waning. I want one in the worst way, but if you can't get parts or repairs in a reasonable time, I just can't do it. Truck owners won't put up with that and they don't want cars as loaners.

My enthusiasm is waning. I want one in the worst way, but if you can't get parts or repairs in a reasonable time, I just can't do it. Truck owners won't put up with that and they don't want cars as loaners.
That's fair. To be honest, I do not expect a firm truck release date until closer to maybe 2022. There is the Y, Roadster, and Semi to get into production. A Tesla Truck might feed off lessons learned from S3XY Semis, but I still don't expect anything soonish.

I think they should focus on the current mid-size truck dimensions which allow easier parking and handling. Price comes in around Model 3 territory (just under $50K drive-out) and focus on the 3 largest states (TX, LA, and OK) which buy pickups. Maybe pop up a tent in TX and call it a "dealership"???

Reactions: paperjohn
dimensions of Model X compare to ford F 150 super crew cab.

Model X Specifications
Length
198.3"
Wheelbase
116.7"
Width
89.4"
With mirrors folded 81.5"
Track
Front 65.4", Rear 66.9"
Clearance 5.4" - 8.3"

F150 Supercab 4x4 some numbers are dependent on engine choice
F150 Super crew cab 5.5 ft bed 6.5 ft bed
Wheelbase 145 156.8
Length 231.9 243.7
Height 77.2 77.3
Width (excluding mirrors) 79.9 79.9
GVWR (lbs) 5,271 5,320
towing 13,000 lbs

Hey, Tesla? I'll run a "dealership" for you. Ill mark up the cars 1 dollar and put a dollar in glove-box as a thank you. There, done.
Tesla is getting to the point where it is going to need dealerships. Is it really that evil to mark the car up 1%, charge for service and sell traded-in cars? The entrepreneur opening the dealership is
taking all the risk, paying the employees, keeping the lights on, keeping a stock of parts and has a huge incentive to get cars fixed and out the door. They will also pay the rent and pop up in locations
where they are needed... making many of your owners happier.

I thought about this over the weekend when I drove past the Devon service center. The lot is overflowing with customer cars. They are double parked, parked in the grass, etc. Ive always seen 30-50
cars in there waiting for service, but this was well beyond that. Not good!

Tesla is getting to the point where it is going to need dealerships. Is it really that evil to mark the car up 1%, charge for service and sell traded-in cars? The entrepreneur opening the dealership is
taking all the risk, paying the employees, keeping the lights on, keeping a stock of parts and has a huge incentive to get cars fixed and out the door. They will also pay the rent and pop up in locations
where they are needed... making many of your owners happier.

I thought about this over the weekend when I drove past the Devon service center. The lot is overflowing with customer cars. They are double parked, parked in the grass, etc. Ive always seen 30-50
cars in there waiting for service, but this was well beyond that. Not good!
waiting for service or waiting for delivery?