Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla told me their Quaity control specs is protected information.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I rejected a M3 performance that had primer showing on the outside of the vehicle, and horrible gaps. For example the black trim below the driver door window was almost completely above the rear doors black trim.
The manager told me the vehicle was within specs of the plant and the service department. I inquired to what the minimum specs were and I was told it was protected information.

Does anyone have a link or document for what Tesla deems acceptable quality for delivery? I understand things like code are protected, but to tell me a poorly assembled car is within specs and we can’t not disclose what is acceptable to them seems to point there is none. The manager at the Camarillo store in California told me that as long as it has wheels and moves then it meets there requirements.

Anything that leads me to the standards Tesla uses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ps. Photos are not of the one I rejected, but some of ones delivered and accepted for an example. But my doors was almost as bad.

Attachments

• AF35C4DB-13C5-4C8C-A5DD-76D247FACE7D.jpeg
    AF35C4DB-13C5-4C8C-A5DD-76D247FACE7D.jpeg
    22.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 70664032-C492-4843-BDCE-ED03DBEC5A27.jpeg
    70664032-C492-4843-BDCE-ED03DBEC5A27.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 145
He literally says in the post the photos are not the same car, just examples and the one he was getting was just as bad.

You're right I missed that last line. Nevertheless, why is posting ancient photos from years ago instead of the actual photos of his car? Wouldn't it make more sense to take and post photos of his specific car? If for some reason he didn't take any then fine but he should remove these photos from this thread because they are misleading.

In my mind, I do not care what Tesla thinks is acceptable. I am the one who is buying, so I should be the one to state what is acceptable to me and what is not.

So you have done the right thing - for you.

I am sure other people will accept the car as it was presented to you and drive away with it.

So now it is up to you: want to try another Tesla or look elsewhere.

Example: when I picked up a M3 the guy in front of me complained the hood was missing the Tesla T. I would have been delighted to get this one-in-a-million car.

Reactions: CarlThompson
Is Tesla starting to hire Salesman and Managers from Legacy Automakers? This would be the only explanation from this clown saying it’s within specs…. Wow….

It’s only a matter of time before you pick up a Tesla and start being offered LoJack…. Smh

I rejected a M3 performance that had primer showing on the outside of the vehicle, and horrible gaps. For example the black trim below the driver door window was almost completely above the rear doors black trim.
The manager told me the vehicle was within specs of the plant and the service department. I inquired to what the minimum specs were and I was told it was protected information.

Does anyone have a link or document for what Tesla deems acceptable quality for delivery? I understand things like code are protected, but to tell me a poorly assembled car is within specs and we can’t not disclose what is acceptable to them seems to point there is none. The manager at the Camarillo store in California told me that as long as it has wheels and moves then it meets there requirements.

Anything that leads me to the standards Tesla uses would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Ps. Photos are not of the one I rejected, but some of ones delivered and accepted for an example. But my doors was almost as bad.
Gap tolerances can be located in some service bulletins (I specifically remember one for the charge port).

I assume they have one for panel gaps as well. The tolerance is millimeters. So that Service Center employee was full of crap.

Ok, so I found one solution, I downloaded the auto shop Body repair manual and am logging the spec from there. No the solution I was wanting. But this is a good starting point.at least I have something I can show the manager when I try to pick up my next one. Thanks everyone for the replies. It’s greatly appreciated.

Reactions: CyberGus
Gap tolerances can be located in some service bulletins (I specifically remember one for the charge port).

I assume they have one for panel gaps as well. The tolerance is millimeters. So that Service Center employee was full of crap.
They did not deny one existed, they said it’s protected information and they can not give it to me. I was willing to except the vehicle if the could provide that document and ir was reasonable. My issue he is that the measurements for quality control is private and not available to the public.

They did not deny one existed, they said it’s protected information and they can not give it to me. I was willing to except the vehicle if the could provide that document and ir was reasonable. My issue he is that the measurements for quality control is private and not available to the public.
Your real issue should be that car looks like it was in a wreck and the service manager gave you the brush off.

Once you accept delivery, you’re going to have a hard time getting that fixed. Make sure you get something that was assembled properly from the factory. They are clearly capable of it.

Reactions: Darren Donovan
Is Tesla starting to hire Salesman and Managers from Legacy Automakers? This would be the only explanation from this clown saying it’s within specs…. Wow….

It’s only a matter of time before you pick up a Tesla and start being offered LoJack…. Smh
The manager also told me his concern was that it had wheels and moved. This is my second Tesla, absolutely love the car. My last one was tattooed by some 22yo kid that intentionally unproved ran into the side of me after flipping off a row of cars because no one would let him merge in his words. My girls owes one too and I am looking forward to receiving it. I know there are issues with end of the quarter rush. I’ll take 3mm but 10mm no. I brought body gap gauges with me I got off Amazon. I just want to know what standards they use.

Status
Not open for further replies.