TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla Touch Up Paint White Pssw

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Darthbenji, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Has anyone used the white PSSW touch up paint from Tesla and had good results? I find it dries greyish and doesn’t match at all.

2. Face_Disguise

Face_Disguise Member

Precisely. It doesn't match. It boggles the mind how they sell it as pearl white. I just received my touch up direct kit but I haven't had a chance to test the match on it yet.

3. AZAV8R

AZAV8R Member

Has anyone tried to have an auto paint store mix touch up based on code?

4. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Let me know if you don’t mind.
    I can’t believe I paid Tesla what I did for this kit just to now have some greys spots on my bumper.

5. tren01t

tren01t Member

Dr. Colorchip PSSW is a very close match. Used it and very satisfied with the result. Do not use Tesla's and there is a thread on this.

• Like x 1
  6. Face_Disguise

Face_Disguise Member

I'll try to remember to report back, but I don't intend to use it until after the winter season, and just get all the nicks repaired at once.

7. DadRS99

DadRS99 Member

Where can tou

8. DadRS99

DadRS99 Member

Do you know exactly what to order?

the site doesn’t seem to have Tesla listed in the menu options.
    And are all model Ys pearl white?

here’s what I’m trying to fix. Thanks!

9. ucmndd

ucmndd Well-Known Member

I bet it’s a perfect match for the white Model Y bumpers that aren’t the same white as the rest of the car. ;)

• Funny x 1
  10. holmgang

holmgang Active Member

Yes
    My local body shop is contracted with Tesla so they paint tons and tons of them. I bought some for rock chip touchups.. the thing is, it doesn't matter how well the color is matched, since you're doing a touch-up with a little fingernail brush applicator, it's never going to be perfect.

Unless you're sanding down the area and doing a spray paint, it won't be seamless. You can't expect more

11. fr100

fr100 Member

PPSW not PSSW

12. alexgr

alexgr Member

I've never used it on Tesla, but could it be if you didn't shake it for a long enough time?

Where are you trying to repair paint?
    I have front PPF and in 14 month and 14k miles I have 0 (zero, zilch) paint chips. A couple of times I had the doors scratched, but those scratched were easy to remove with Meguiar's scratch remover.

13. Darthbenji

Darthbenji Member

Front bumper. I shook it. It looks horrible.

Attached Files:

14. Sam1

Sam1 Member

pearl is extremely difficult to match up. Doesn’t matter what company’s recipe it is, or who made the touch up paint.

• Like x 1
  15. Bubbatech

Bubbatech Member

I have also found the touch up paint from Tesla is a poor match. It looks grey.

16. Itsuo-DC

Itsuo-DC Supporting Member

I would agree with this (for PPSW). It depends a lot on the damage, etc. I had some deep gouges on the bumper that were showing the black bumper material so this was very effective. If I apply more layers in the future it might even flush out.

Touch Up Paint Kits & Premium Packages - Dr. ColorChip: Automotive Paint Chip Repair Systems

17. alexgr

alexgr Member

If you have scratches or other physical damage to the bumper, you should try to repair it first before painting. It may appear gray if the substrate surface is not smooth. Try to paint a glass-smooth white surface and see if this Tesla paint still comes out as gray. Also, using a white primer may help if you have original primer damaged/removed. ... and then I don't think the multi-coat paint can be painted with a brush with any expectation of a high-quality outcome.

• Informative x 1