Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade Value in Vs. CarMax Trade in Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sometimes you just have to pay for convenience I guess. It's looking like taking Tesla's lower offer might be the way to go simply because I can drive there with the Bolt and leave with the MY. I'm hoping that I can get their offer a little higher armed with the three online offer I have now even though they are not "in writing".

Sometimes you just have to pay for convenience I guess. It's looking like taking Tesla's lower offer might be the way to go simply because I can drive there with the Bolt and leave with the MY. I'm hoping that I can get their offer a little higher armed with the three online offer I have now even though they are not "in writing".

They won't budge.

The people you are dealing with at the service center have zero authority to override what the computer allows.

They just punch in your VIN and won't even look at you car.

If you have a CarMax estimate you email it to them (BEFORE delivery day) and they update your Tesla trade value on your account.

Just an FYI. I have a Tesla Model S and have been told multiple times by various Tesla reps that Tesla will NOT match Carmax offers for Tesla cars. They only match Carmax offers for non-Tesla vehicles. I complained that this seems like a penalty for current owners. Rep sympathetic but insists that this is Tesla policy. Carmax offer is $5k higher than Tesla offer for my Model S.

^ Wow!

The only advantage in going w/Tesla trade-in looks to be the tax savings where the trade-in price is deducted from the taxable price of the new vehicle (not valid in all states IIRC) and the drive in with "old" and drive out with "new" vehicle convenience.

Once you accept the offer in the trade in section are you locked to that offer? I want to accept Tesla's low offer to continue the delivery proccess, but want to make sure they will still revise the offer with the CarMax offer im getting next week.

I got a trade in quote from Tesla, vroom and carvana for my model 3 and ordered a mode y from Tesla’s website but it says no where that you are planning on trading in another vehicle for the model y. Does this part happen when it gets closer and your mytesla webpage gets updated with payment info?

I got a trade in quote from Tesla, vroom and carvana for my model 3 and ordered a mode y from Tesla’s website but it says no where that you are planning on trading in another vehicle for the model y. Does this part happen when it gets closer and your mytesla webpage gets updated with payment info?
Yes, when your webpage says prepare for delivery, you go through steps for pickup location, trade-in, financing, etc.

crazy how all over the place the quotes are. waiting on teslas quote but carvana quoted me 40k and change for a 2019 LR AWD M3 with 3400 miles on it, black/aero/black int. KBb said 48 or so. I really want to trade in for the Y but no way i'm spending 10k to do so...

Tesla told me they would match CarMax only. Their offer for trade-in was very close to CarMax on a 2011 Ford Edge Sport so get Tesla's trade in price and CarMax to see who has the better offer.

(The quote is edited to update the Vroom price, hence the italics.)
Vroom $20,000
Tesla $19,770 (with trade-in sales tax factored in)
Carvana $20,705
I've traded in two S vehicles so far. I don't recall how competitive the offers were and there was the tax advantage relative to the trade-in value to consider. Convenience and cost of my time was part of the calculation for my decision-making.

The experience of the trade-ins with Tesla was straightforward and low stress. The process was drive in old car, sign papers, give money, leave with new car. The first time (S P85D) they wanted to inspect the vehicle. The second time (S P100D) the only change was that they had the option (which I took) of taking a set of pictures (like 8 of them) from various angles inside and out and submitting them ahead of time. Neither trade-in price was adjusted due to vehicle inspection or anything else.

FYI