Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Trade Value in Vs. CarMax Trade in Value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
^ Wow!

The only advantage in going w/Tesla trade-in looks to be the tax savings where the trade-in price is deducted from the taxable price of the new vehicle (not valid in all states IIRC) and the drive in with "old" and drive out with "new" vehicle convenience.
Are you saying that for DMV purposes, they take say the $50K msrp, deduct your $20K trade in as a “discount” then you just pay registration fees based on the $30K net you pay?

does this apply in California?

^ If by "registration fees" you are referring to the actual sales tax you pay when picking up the car, then yes.. in NY anyway.

In NY:
$50K New Vehicle
-$30K Trade in
---------
$20K taxable amount

After a quick online check, it seems CA is one of the handful of states who do not let you deduct the value of the trade-in vehicle from the price of the new vehicle for sales tax calculation.

"In 42 of the 50 states, you will pay the sales tax on the value of your new car minus the amount of your trade-in. Since Oregon has no sales tax, those who purchase vehicles there pay no taxes. In the seven remaining states, you pay the sales tax rate on the full value of the new car. These states are California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana and Virginia"

Do You Pay Sales Taxes on a New Car Minus the Trade In?

• Informative
Reactions: AlanSqB
^ We never got to that point because our discussion was back at the beginning of Feb when no one knew the release date of the MY.

I'm guessing that the Carmax written offer has an expiration date or Tesla has some sort of internal rules regarding how far back then offer can be from?

I got a Tesla trade in quote for my model 3 on feb 26th the day I placed my order for a model y. My model y is ready now and in the trade in section on mytesla page now where you submit pics of your car you are trading in, the trade in price is $2500 less than what I got a quote for last week. There is no major cosmetic issues with car or Mechanical issues at all. Has this happened to anyone else or is there some shadyness going on here on Tesla’s part?

also does Tesla March quotes from vroom, carvana or CarMax?

Last edited:
^ Tesla will match a CarMax offer as long as that offer is in writing.. .which means you have to bring your car to a Carmax location for their appraisal.

I don’t mind taking my Tesla to a CarMax to get an offer but even if it’s a Tesla model 3 that I plan on trading-in for a model y? I thought Tesla doesn’t match CarMax anymore

Last edited:
I ran my 2017 Bolt through Tesla's trade-in evaluator and then ran it through Carmax's similar evaluator.
Carmax's offer was $1K+ higher than Tesla's offer.

Some time ago, I had read that Tesla will match Carmax's offer for trade-in's. When placing my Model Y order a few weeks back asked my SA about the procedure and he said in order for them to match the Carmax offer, they have to have it "in writing" from Carmax, and the only way to get that done is visit a Carmax facility, they will not accept the online "offer" that pops up on the Carmax website.

Problem is... the nearest Carmax to Long Island is up in CT. Bringing the Bolt up the CT is about a 3hr (117mi) one way drive or a $120 plus 2hr drive if I go by ferry. Either way, it's a full day affair to go there, get the eval done and get back home.. I don't look forward to doing that at all.

Anyone know of any other way to get Carmax's "in writing" offer without going to one of their facilities?

A CarMax warning about lowball pricing. I'm a huge CarMax fan and have recommended them for years as a low-hassle way of getting a fair price for a trade - until this week.

As part of my Model Y acquisition, I needed to sell a 2019 Acura RDX Advanced, a truly amazing vehicle. With 17,000 miles, the car was mint and loaded. Anyway, CarMax offered $29,000 for the car - well below book. The Acura dealer a few blocks away offered $33,500 the same day. That's a $4,500 delta or 14%.

I would expect the dealer brand to offer slightly more for a premium trade as they can retail it, however, this big delta is nuts. CarMax, at least in this instance, was a low-ball on an in-demand vehicle. I'm not waiving anyone off of CarMax but strongly advising that they can no longer be taken on blind faith. Do your research and shop. FWIW.

Carmax is not great for getting a value on a Tesla. At least in my area, they don't sell Teslas, so they go straight to auction. When I got a trade in quote on my Model S they warned me it was going to be super low since and it was. Basically, under wholesale auction value since they wouldn't be selling it on the lot and it would be going straight to auction.
This might be different if they sell Tesla's in your area of course.

Hey NY_Rob,
Did they say anything about you needing to get another estimate when the delivery date comes because it would over the 7 day carmax appraisal window? My primary delivery person said I would as my delivery is in 2 weeks? Does that make any sense?
No, they just changed their offer to match the CarMax number. That makes no sense at all to me. I have finalized everything and am just waiting for a contract and a date....

"In 42 of the 50 states, you will pay the sales tax on the value of your new car minus the amount of your trade-in. Since Oregon has no sales tax, those who purchase vehicles there pay no taxes. In the seven remaining states, you pay the sales tax rate on the full value of the new car. These states are California, Hawaii, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, Montana and Virginia"

I’m in Hawaii and the last two times I’ve traded in, the general excise tax (GET)* was applied to the difference between the new car and the trade.

* Hawaii doesn’t have a “sales tax” — that consumers pay — and uses a “general excise tax,” which is a tax the business pays. The business can pass it on (as most do) to the consumer. To me, a tax is a tax, doesn’t matter what you call it. :)

• Informative
Reactions: NY_Rob
I can confirm that Tesla will match the written Carmax quote and will let you upload that 30 days before delivery even though the Carmax quote is good for 7 days. In my case, my vehicle was old enough with high miles to be certain to go to auction. Tesla's $2000 offer based on four pictures was exactly the same as Carmax based on full inspection. Even though I "accepted" the offer, they told me I could privately sell still before delivery. I may bring it to one of the places that KBB said wanted my car at a higher price but in IL you save tax on the first $10K of trade-in so that is another 7.25%.

I am still waiting to figure out what to do. I've gotten different trade estimates for my 2012 Jeep from everyone so far:

Tesla : $6800
Vroom: $8000
Carvana : $9200
Carmax : Still have to go there

KBB "Good" for my vehicle is $8300-$10000

Tesla says they base theirs on KBB "Good" value, but clearly that is not the truth.

Reactions: SoRandom
I am still waiting to figure out what to do. I've gotten different trade estimates for my 2012 Jeep from everyone so far:

Tesla : $6800
Vroom: $8000
Carvana : $9200
Carmax : Still have to go there

KBB "Good" for my vehicle is $8300-$10000

Tesla says they base theirs on KBB "Good" value, but clearly that is not the truth.
Seems you should sell it to Carvana, given their offer is right in the middle of the range.

I can confirm that Tesla will match the written Carmax quote and will let you upload that 30 days before delivery even though the Carmax quote is good for 7 days. In my case, my vehicle was old enough with high miles to be certain to go to auction. Tesla's $2000 offer based on four pictures was exactly the same as Carmax based on full inspection. Even though I "accepted" the offer, they told me I could privately sell still before delivery. I may bring it to one of the places that KBB said wanted my car at a higher price but in IL you save tax on the first $10K of trade-in so that is another 7.25%.

regarding wanting to trade in model 3 for y with tesla, will Tesla accept written offer if you bring your tesla 3 to carmax?