Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is not unintended acceleration. This happened plenty of times in my Chevy Volt. It may FEEL like acceleration, but is actually just 0 braking. When going over a bump in my Volt, the car would no longer be able to regen brake, which felt like the car lunging forward since it's going from negative acceleration to 0 acceleration.

When the car has no wheels on the ground, the vehicle can no longer regen brake.

Note that going from a negative acceleration to no acceleration feels the same as going from no acceleration to positive acceleration if the magnitude of change is the same.

Ahh that makes sense. The delta of regen to no regen is probably what those experiences were.

In any event, if indeed there is a flaw, I doubt a fix would be nearly as costly as some appear to have assumed.

While I've learned to never be completely dismissive of something, no matter how unlikely, I'm surprised you gave this enough credibility to even bother typing that.

1) This has been looked into previously by Tesla in numerous instances in which it was always found to be the driver accidentally pressing the accelerator pedal. Tesla has the data to prove it. Had this not been the outcome, Tesla certainly would have done whatever it took to prevent such a serious anomaly from occurring again. The pedal depth and spacing between the accelerator and brake (as well as the amount of pressure required to activate them) fall within the normal range when compared to the body of all other modern passenger vehicles.

This unintended acceleration is a common complaint with ALL brands of cars, particularly right after a driver runs into something, typically starting at low speed and sometimes accelerating to frightening speeds. A couple of years ago, my mother-in-law drove her new Volvo right into a storefront. She was completely sober and alert but apparently, she is below average with leg/foot coordination. This is common. Volvo's emergency braking helped reduce the severity of the accident but it did not completely stop the car. At first, she insisted she was stepping on the brake as it smashed into the store in front of her parking spot but eventually she came to accept that she was actually pressing on the accelerator.

The bottom line is ALL car companies get accused of this at one time or another and Tesla has (I'm sure) already looked into numerous reports of this and determined it was driver error. If there was an issue, I'm pretty sure it would have shown itself by now.

2) The request for investigation was filed by a Tesla short-seller. But that's just a coincidence, right? :rolleyes:

Much ado about nothing.

The shorts keep regurgitating these old slimey attacks (unintended acceleration, fires, panel gaps, whompy wheels, etc). Anything to drive the price down. In the end no matter what Tesla is going to hit it out of the park and then nothing they do will work any longer. At least with the CT there are no panel gaps for them to obsess over.

The shorts keep regurgitating these old slimey attacks (unintended acceleration, fires, panel gaps, whompy wheels, etc). Anything to drive the price down. In the end no matter what Tesla is going to hit it out of the park and then nothing they do will work any longer. At least with the CT there are no panel gaps for them to obsess over.
They’ll blame the shine from the stainless steel as the cause for the cameras detecting a false object. Entire truck will need to be recalled, if not Elon is a government smock operating with no consequences as the entire system is rigged.

A buddy of mine what works for a solar installer in california just mentioned to me that they got close to 600kWh of powerwalls and are booked with their installers until November. I guess PG&E really did start a fire sale event...

Our regular order is something like 300-400 kWh of PW per month. Business is booming, thanks PG&E!

If I have ever experienced unintended acceleration, its happened when I didn't realize I was still in cruise, because I was overriding the accelerator at the time. You can go significantly slower than the car is set to TACC cruise by being only very slightly on the pedal, but never fully off it. As soon as I went fully off the accelerator, to regen brake the car resumed TACC cruise speed, 35 mph or whatever and accelerated pretty good. Immediate braking always solved it.

She found the wrong investigation, or you’re thinking of the wrong investigation.

Chen’s petition is the class action lawsuit regarding chargate/batterygate. That is different from this phony unintended acceleration filing.
Lol, Shortzes don't need the right STANKIN' investigatation. Poor shortzes stayin' after work on a Holiday Friday and readin' this forum blew $561K after 18:45 hrs shorting TSLA into the close of the After-hrs session (notice no change in the macros? QQQ)

TSLA.chart.2020-01-17.png

Don't worry about it. Volume in their 'short' spree was HALF what it was before 18:45 hrs. ROFLMAO. Nobody cares. VWAP b4 18:45 hrs $510.63 18:45 and $505 afterward. What a waste of money. :p

They're jus' tryin' to piss you off and ruin you long weekend. Don't let 'em. They're nothings, pissants*. Water buoys while the bozz is off at a fancy NYC restauant. Sad losers, ho! :D

Cheers!

*Advice for Shortzes: When you're in a hole, first rule is 'stop digging'. The other rules, well you're gonna learn the hard way... :rolleyes:

Sigh. Yes I read all that. And yes, I brought all that up with the NHTSA person I spoke to on the phone. And she told me, quite emphatically, that the investigation was opened on 1/13/20. And yes, I agree with you, I suspect she was wrong, just reading what the computer screen told her, and then I erroneously took her info as fact. I'm going to try to reach a higher-up within NHTSA's ODI on Monday and see if I can get the real story.

The higher-ups at NHTSA are already aware (for the last 1 1/2 years) that most Tesla complaints are fake:

Tesla report shows most negative NHTSA complaints are 'fake' and a tactic from 'detractors' - Electrek

None of this is new to them so I don't expect them to even bat an eye. Well, OK, they might shake their heads and giggle...:rolleyes: