TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

The #1 result on Google is wrong then - interesting:

Options Expiration - Options Don't Expire on Fridays | InvestorPlace

What happens after hours on Exp friday? : options

Either case it can be complicated if you are very close. I myself close anything unless its absurdly DOTM (which includes selling puts to eager bears)

• Like x 1
  2. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Member

Let me know if you'd rather take this to PM, but I'm very curious: were you holding short calls that you rolled to Feb? Or long calls?

3. lascavarian

lascavarian Member

Lutz never let the name Tesla cross his lips.

• Funny x 7
    • Like x 2
  4. Drumheller

Drumheller Member

Can we stop spreading this 'joke', please? It's in very poor taste and there are people that read this forum that may run with it into news cycles and create more negative views against Musk.

• Like x 20
    • Helpful x 1
  5. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

ARK is presenting right now, right? Any interesting tidbits?

6. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

He must have become a Tesla shareholder, but wants to keep it a secret from his General Motors friends. ;)

• Funny x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  7. JustAaronnoraA

On a serious note, i think the water is wayyyy too calm this week and volume is super low for all the Tsla news. Either something is slowly leaking pre-ER waiting to bust open or everyone just being cautious b/c of macros waiting for a pull back.

I'll probably close all my Jan positions on next big pop (3%+) and convert it to puts in anticipations of Brexit and China escalations, i'll still keep growing my shares though.

8. MXWing

MXWing Well-Known Member

Dated in 2009 but still fun to rub it in.

Lutz sold 81,360 shares of the company with a value of about $1.61 each, according to a filing, while North America President Troy Clarke sold 21,380 shares valued at $1.45 each. Vice Chairman Thomas Stephens and Group Vice Presidents Gary Cowger, Carl-Peter Forster and Ralph Szygenda also sold stock. As recently as 2004, GM stock was worth more than $45 a share.

GM spokeswoman Julie Gibson said the transactions were made in a window when such transactions are allowed, following the company’s quarterly earnings report on May 7.

The executives are preparing for GM’s possible bankruptcy, which GM CEO Fritz Henderson called “more probable” yesterday during a conference call, though he declined to specify the likelihood. If (when) the automaker enters bankruptcy, the executives’ shares likely would become worthless.

• Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. lascavarian

lascavarian Member

CNBC threw up a list of auto companies and their stock performance as he was pontificating and only TSLA was green.

• Love x 7
    • Like x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Informative x 2
  10. Xpert

Xpert Member

I'm seeing $330 maxpain for next week.
    I have reduced my $TSLA holding further today, only 20% of usual number of shares and no options at this time. I think Q4 was good enough, but I'm worried about Q1 with reduced tax credit there might be a greater impact than we anticipate and I'm not sure if EU/China sales can cover the gap.
    with macros uncertain, I hope to buy back if it hits $300 again, or after Earning call.

• Like x 1
  11. MarcusMaximus

MarcusMaximus Active Member

Reduced tax credit, but also reduced prices. There’s still a gap, but it’s very small and you get the savings right away vs. waiting >1 year.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  12. Cherry Wine

Cherry Wine Member

A quick observation I've made with regard to max pain -- that indicator has only proven prophetic when the stock is already in the general area. But when it works, it's scarily accurate.

As to your concerns, I think they have some validity, though personally I think we're going higher between here and mid-February or whenever the earnings call takes place. Afterward, I do agree with the sentiment that there could be other opportunities for entry in the low $300s. The jury is still out on whether or not we're in a bear market; if we are, a broad sell-off is around the corner, and TSLA's ability to weather one is questionable. I've seen it go both ways in just the last few months I've been invested.

At the end of the day, we all have to make our own decisions based on the best available information we have... and cross our fingers that we're right.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 1
  13. ZsoZso

ZsoZso Member

Looks like we are playing a different game with different expectations.
    I am currently 100% in TSLA, and hope to sell 20% if it hits $600 after Earning call. ;)

• Like x 12
    • Love x 6
    • Informative x 1
  14. SpaceCash

SpaceCash Member

Same!

• Like x 3
    • Love x 2
  15. Right_Said_Fred

Right_Said_Fred Moderator Netherlands/Belgium

Suddenly seeing a lot of predictions here about Tesla going down to 300 again after Q4 earnings. What will it take never to see 300 again? Three profitable quarters in a row? Four? Twenty? Do you guys think we will be stuck in this channel forever, regardless of the fundamentals changing?

• Like x 2
    • Funny x 1
  16. Thekiwi

Thekiwi Member

I was presuming Tesla would minimise the amount of cars on the water towards the end of Q1, and allocate most of the last month of production to North America.

Although I wouldn’t care if they just decided to bite the bullet and tell the market on the Q4 earnings call that for Q1 they are going to increase inventory to allow for the normal amount of in transit inventory level for combined Europe and China deliveries to be made at something like a 3-4K per week rate (meaning somewhere over 12k of cars on the water at any moment in time I think?)

• Like x 5
  17. gringotuanis

gringotuanis Member

What does this mean? What are short and long calls - I've never heard this terminology when you know the expiration dates. They were going to expire in Jan and were rolled to February which means they arent far off so would be "short" calls? Or are you trying to ask if he holds puts?

• Like x 1
  18. SpaceCash

SpaceCash Member

Nobody actually knows what it's gonna do. Calling another range-bound drop to 300 is the cynical/easy prediction which could turn out to be the case, but my own strategy here is based on capturing the squeeze and never attempting to swing trade the perceived highs. Could take off any time

• Like x 11
    • Informative x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  19. saniflash

saniflash Member

short = you've sold calls/puts, i.e., your balance on these options is negative
    long = you've bought calls/puts, i.e., positive

• Informative x 1
  20. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

If you buy an option that you had not earlier written, you are "long" that option. If you write (sell) an option that you had not earlier bought, you are "short" that option.

• Informative x 3
    • Helpful x 1