Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somebody please remind me to set a sell order at $5999.99. Thanks.
That paltry $6K valuation completely ignores TE, which will in time be a 2x greater market than Automotive. And TE will have a monopoly on Mars, and Ceres is the gateway to mining the asteroid belt.

Jus' sayin'.. $6K is the floor of a deep gravity well.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Is she actually this dumb, or just cynically trolling for new clients?
I'm a little confused. What part of this is actually dumb ?

"Our most important assumption is [demand for] electric vehicles, given the battery-cost declines and the new chemistries coming out of Tesla. We believe the average electric-vehicle price will drop below the average auto price in the next two years. In five years, a Toyota Camry will still be around $25,000, but a 200-mile-range electric vehicle will probably be $15,000."
Are you saying the price can't go down to $15k in 5 years ? For eg., can a Chinese company make a $15k car with 200 mile EPA range in 5 years ? Or are you saying Tesla won't have a $15k car with 200 mile range ?

ps : A long time back I coined my own "evnow's law", which said the EV range will double every 5 years for the same price. Between 2011 (74 mile Leaf) and 2016 (230 mile Bolt) - for similar price we got 3 times the range.

Is "Monalisa" worth nothing - because it doesn't "pay dividends" ? How about gold ?

Some assets are purely worthy of holding because of intrinsic value. Not sure about your company, though.

To be fair to @cliffski , that is not an apples to apples comparison. Stocks generally are productive assets, which are valued on cash flow, whereas gold (and maybe bitcoin) are unproductive assets, which are NOT valued on cash flow but some other intrinsic value. If Tesla is in fact structurally unprofitable (as shorts claim, though I do not believe this), then it has zero or negative cash flow. It has no other intrinsic value, and so would be worth zero. Stocks of for profit companies have no other intrinsic value, save for cash flow, or in terms of liquidation, net assets (where the brand value would also be an asset).

This is nonsense.

A share value is based on its share of future expected CASFLOWS and Net Assets, not dividends.

If Tesla issued a secondary class of shares that had the same amount of ownership of the company as a regular existing share (but no future dividend rights), then those new shares would be worth almost the same as current shares. less a small amount based on dividend payment level (which are currently non-existing).

Let’s say Tesla issued this new class of shares on a 1:1 basis with existing shares, so they make up 50% of outstanding shares. now we assume Tesla continues growing over ten years and by 2030 is generating $10 Billion in net income, and is paying out $5 Billion in dividends. If we assume a very conservative earnings multiple of 20x PE, the market cap would be $100 Billion.

So under your theory where shares with no rights to dividends should be worth nothing - one could buy up half of a company (effectively a controlling stake) with a $100 Billion market cap and generating $10 Billion in annual net income for next to nothing? Do you also have some bridges for sale by any chance?

======

Also, in regards to your profitable company where you hold 2 shares and are more than happy to issue non-dividend receiving shares, I would be happy to acquire 3+ shares. I now am controlling shareholder, my first action is to remove you from the business and approve sale of business to myself for $1.

This is also not entirely correct and glosses over the point @cliffski is saying (mind you folks I don't really agree with @cliffski either). If you could never access dividends via a stock, then it depends. Can you access the future cash flows in any way, say by taking the company private by taking over majority of the dividend and non-dividend paying shares? Then maybe okay.

Say hypothetically, you had a company which generates boatloads of cash, but for some mysterious reason that cash is locked up in an impenetrable vault that no human could ever access. So here is a company that will never pay dividends to individual shareholders nor distribute its profits to any private investor that bought the whole company outright, yet it generates tons of cash. In such a case, it is accurate to say that the this company is worthless, whether it is individually owned by different shareholders or entirely privately owned by some entity. Buffett would not buy this company.

But I don't think this is what @Thekiwi is saying. He/she believes that someone can eventually access the cash flows of this non-dividend paying stock. And if @cliffski is making the above hypothetical case, then yes I agree with him/her. But he/she should clarify their argument. None of the currently non-dividend paying stocks are actually of this hypothetical case. Someone can eventually access that cash. But just because they don't pay or plan on paying dividends doesn't mean that the cash is unavailable in the future. Many companies may not ever pay dividends in our or our children's or grandchildren's lifetime. Or as @ReflexFunds points out, it may be theoretically possible to re-invest future cashflows indefinitely.

The point is that the *cash flow is accessible* to the owners to do with as they wish: pay themselves, re-invest, or simply hoard. Whereas in the above hypothetical case, the *cash flow is inaccessible*. The former company has value, the latter does not.

Cash flow and it's accessibility* is the correct metric for defining value of for profit businesses. Defining value solely based on the narrowly defined notion of traditional stock dividends is at best misleading and at worst inaccurate.

*Since in our world there is no such thing as indefinitely inaccessible cash flows, simply "cash flow" is sufficient (the qualifier of accessibility is not required).

Last edited:
Reactions: Doggydogworld
There’s an engineer in Fremont named Epstein who’s working on the new Roadster’s motor drive unit. They say it will be a lot more efficient when he’s done.
Robin

I hear the prototype was on Elon's Roadster out near the Belt and that it will be accelerating out of the solar system at a fraction of c. Way out in the expanse...

Last edited:
Somebody on reddit posted a thought about the (we still don’t even know if true) possibility that Tesla is removing EAP and FSD from their used car inventory: Are they able to realize any of that deferred revenue once they buy back the car and remove the feature? And if they can sell it again, that’s an impressive double-dip, yes?

Wow "tens of owners". This is serious.

To be fair I’m sure it’s a lot more, but many people like me just haven’t complained much about it. My rocker panels have been basically sand blasted and it looks really bad because I have a black Model 3. What’s worse is I’ve only had it 9 months. It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of this.

Attachments

• upload_2019-8-2_22-58-22.jpeg
    upload_2019-8-2_22-58-22.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 109
  • Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
So Tesla is pushing out 28.2 now, reported to contain the Dog Mode bug fix. This is only a couple of days since the bug was reported so (providing it works) it's a great illustration of Tesla's responsiveness to customer issues. Also a demonstration of how they can respond faster than any of the competition.

Meanwhile, I think an interesting thing that isn't all that obvious is that Tesla possibly has the data to target the release, making sure that it goes first to actual users of Dog Mode. Of course that means that one day they can juice earnings by selling such data to dog food companies, or using it for targeted advertising in the car. Good thing we're just talking about possibilities here!

Kona didn't just catch fire, it outright exploded. I've never seen a case like it before.

I don't know if you've seen the followup news. But:
  • The garage had to be demolished. It doesn't look like the home will be.
  • Hyundai has launched a formal investigation
  • The owner says that the car wasn't charging, or even plugged in. Investigators however have declined to confirm this claim, which I thought was weird.
  • There was smoke coming from the garage before the event. The owner went and shut off the breakers, and then seconds later, the garage exploded.
It seems like a fuel-air mixture had built up in the garage (vaporized electrolyte? Syngas from smouldering plastics?) which then ignited. But why, who knows. This is a weird case.

I think the explanation is simple:
1. Kona is a Tesla killer (just ask Spiegel or any TSLAQ member)
2. The designed Tesla killing functionality works by exploding when a Tesla is detected within blast radius
3. There was a malfunction in the Tesla-sensor, or possibly the Kona owner may have had a Tesla picture on the garage wall

There is no room to make it "a lot" more efficient than the Model 3 motor which is already what, 96% or better?

That's not entirely accurate because the real-world efficiency of an electric motor is not a fixed number. It varies considerably with the RPM and the amount of torque requested at that moment. Better motor designs will have wider sweet spots in terms of efficiency even if their peak efficiency in the middle of the torque/rpm range is similar. Here is one sample efficiency graph for a Borg-Warner motor (efficiency is the color scale):

BorgWarner-HVH410-electric-motor-efficiency.png

This motor, with its peak efficiency of 94%, would be vastly inferior to the motors Tesla uses because it looks to be optimized only between 1000 and 6000 rpm's. A Tesla Model 3 going 80 mph is already spinning around 9000 rpm's and needs to spin over 18,000 rpm's to reach it's highest-rated top speed while maintaining enough torque to overcome air resistance at high speeds and enough efficiency to make those kinds of speeds useful.

Motor design is a careful juggling of different factors to manage the size, timing and shape of magnetic fields under a wide variety of RPM's and torques. The motor controller is integral to the motor's efficiency. So the motor's real-world efficiency cannot really be quoted without having a particular drive cycle in mind in terms of time spent at various speeds and torque values. Unless you don't care about real-world efficiency and just want to quote peak efficiency or efficiency at one rpm/torque value.

Wow. 17 disagrees.

I’ve read the counter args and they all appear to confuse the receiving of dividend with the concept of dividend. Dividend is just another word for reward (without having to part with it). If there is no reward for having a share, why pay good money for it? It’s valueless.

The counter people need to imagine a world where dividend is outlawed. Puff, the stock market also vanishes. To disagree with your statement cliffski, they have to be able to show that shares have value without the existence of dividend (reward). Bitcoin achieves it, (some believe) but I can’t imagine hundreds of stocks being able to pull that off.

Most people simply can't grasp this.

Other than dividends, the stock market has never actually created a penny of net wealth - it's just money trading hands. You buy a stock with the hopes that someone will later want to buy your pseudo shares - essentially vapor ware. So, indeed it is a ponzi scheme.

Most people simply can't grasp this.

Other than dividends, the stock market has never actually created a penny of net wealth - it's just money trading hands. You buy a stock with the hopes that someone will later want to buy your pseudo shares - essentially vapor ware. So, indeed it is a ponzi scheme.

No, the stock market is not a Ponzi scheme. It's a system of fractional ownership of real companies.

Please, stop the madness!

To be fair I’m sure it’s a lot more, but many people like me just haven’t complained much about it. My rocker panels have been basically sand blasted and it looks really bad because I have a black Model 3. What’s worse is I’ve only had it 9 months. It will be interesting to see if anything comes out of this.

Yeah, my Volvo and Mazda did this as well. It's not the paint, it's the aerodynamics. The Volvo S80, like the Model 3, was designed to have a low Cd and I did notice that the rocker panels and area around the wheels took more impact than previous cars which were less aerodynamic. A car shaped like a brick creates a stronger buffer of moving air around it which lessens impacts from gravel. The Mazda had a black plastic for the rocker area which didn't show impacts as much as a painted surface but it still had plenty of paint damage after driving at freeway speeds on roads with sand/gravel on them.

It's assinine to claim this is a defect in the same way it would be to claim that poor handling of a minivan was a defect. Different cars have different design goals/criteria. This is an aesthetic issue, not a quality control issue. The Tesla, like all other modern cars has a body corrosion/perforation warranty. It would only be a warranty or lawsuit issue if this caused rust that fatally damaged the body, otherwise it's just normal road wear/tear. If you don't like it you can get it repainted but, short of using something tougher than modern automotive paint (Rhino bed liner?) it's going to come back. All cars get rock chips. The problem is worse if you have sport/performance tires because these grab and throw more rocks.