Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would assume so. If you want the panels removed from the house you have to pay $1,500. I haven't looked at the contract, but from what I looked at it looked like you could cancel and leave the panels on the house. You only had to pay the $1,500 if you wanted them removed.

So maybe a new plan for the shorts to bankrupt Tesla would be to sign up to have Tesla put solar on their house and then cancel after the first month. It would cost them $50, but Tesla has paid for all the permitting, installation, and equipment costs. (Sure they will get their money back eventually but it could put pressure on the FCF.)

But maybe Tesla plans to "securitize" all of these installs and just scrape some profit off of the top, so they don't have to outlay all of the cash themselves.
Huh? This is a rental agreement. Sure, you probably don't have to pay Tesla $1,500 to remove and collect the panels but you sure as heck have to get the panels that you rented back to the company that you rented them from one way or another.

If the panels stay on the roof, the installation generates income... the homeowner is literally paying Tesla to make money on the power generated. (paying = paying property tax, and providing access to the power source, maintaining the house/support structure for the panels.)

The panels remain inventory for Tesla to depreciate... not sure what to do with the panels after removal. Likely refurbish and re-deploy.

My concern is that the rent will go up. It usually does.

Huh? This is a rental agreement. Sure, you probably don't have to pay Tesla $1,500 to remove and collect the panels but you sure as heck have to get the panels that you rented back to the company that you rented them from one way or another.

From their FAQ:

What happens after I cancel my agreement?

If you want your system removed to restore your roof to its previous condition, it will be $1,500 to cover Tesla’s cost. Tesla does not make a profit on this.

So you don't have to remove the panels, but Tesla can keep selling the electricity to your grid provider. This is probably why they limit rental to people with certain grid providers. Ones that will keep the solar separate enough to be able to offset the home owner or buy the electricity from Tesla if the homeowner cancels. Essentially the home owner would be providing Tesla free rent to their roof.

I don't know if anyone has gotten the actual contract/rental agreement to get all of the nitty gritty details...

Last edited:
Huh, 2.5x perf over hw 2.5? What happened to 10x?

Nope, slide refers to power consumption.

IMG_20190820_102942_575px.jpg

57 WATTS vs 72 WATTS

Eventually people are going to look at the true valuations of Uber and WeWork, realize they are horse-sh*t and reallocate those funds to a company that is actually growing into serious profitability. I expect in the next feww months to see a few big buys into TSLA. Not to do so, once we have evidence that the etron and the taycan are both effectively dead on arrival, would be silly.

EVERYONE agrees the EV market is going to be huge, there are still some delusional people thinking Porsche or audi will have a big chunk of it. I think that theory is pretty much crumbling before everyone's eyes right now.

Plus I see no reason that deliveries and revenue are not going to be significantly better for Q3, putting paid to another host of bullshit theories.

OK thoughts on CFP and new Solar Panel rentals.
How does the latter effect the prior (CFP - Cash Flow Positive) - which I thought was now a quarterly goal ?
It will have no measurable effect unless it causes a large increase in solar deployments.

If it does grow solar deployments, it won't affect Operating Cash Flow because this spending goes under Cash Flows from Investing Activities on a line item called "Payments for the cost of solar energy systems, net". I don't think it will affect FCF, either, because that's usually defined as OCF - Capex.

Finally, it shouldn't affect the actual cash balance very much because the leases will be pooled into a subsidiary that receives roughly 100% financing from lenders and "tax equity" partners, same as the old SCTY solar leases.

When Elon spoke about creating a cyborg dragon, could he have been referring to GF3 being alien dreadnought 1.0? Seeing his comments on twitter today along with his new profile pic just made me wonder....

He's a clever man, with lots of clever ideas. I don't think trying to interpret his profile picture or how he changes his twitter handle to ln(e) or anything of that nature is worth the time. If it ever came out that there was clear covert intention to communicate something like that in that manner I'm sure he and his lawyers know it would be a shitstorm of bullshit. If you want to take anything from it, he seems excessively playful and confident, which by itself is a good sign.

The math seems to work for the consumer but how is Tesla going to make moeny at this?

I’ve written a full outline of this new rental agreement in the Energy forum. But, basically, Tesla gets to keep all tax credits/incentives available, and the renter is charged $1,500 to remove the system if they want to stop making monthly payments. That $1,500 will likely deter some from canceling the subscription because that’s worth almost 2 years of rental for the basic 3.8kW system. Also, the agreement does not allow the renter to purchase the system until after 5 years. And the purchase price even after the 5 years wait time will be at the original price when contract was signed (currently $2.50/W)—not at a likely lower price in 5 years (no residual price like with a car lease).

In the end, this is a crappy deal for the consumer in the long run just like any other PV PPA/lease deals.

Tesla may get some dumb nuts to bite, but not many once you dig down into the details.