Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
An auto industry reporter at a major newspaper once told me he thought this and Mary Barra’s insistence on a bet-the-company revenue strategy around pickup trucks, was going to be GM’s doom. He figured GM goes bankrupt around 2022-2023.

Clock is ticking.

After GM cleared the deck with bankruptcy they've been borrowing money to buy back stock and pay dividends...

THIS.

When the good Putin's friend Abramovich is passionated of electric cars and Tesla

Roman Abramovich Is Buying Up Teslas to Give to His Friends

and with no Tesla retailers or service people import Tesla with a 60% price increase

Moscow Tesla Club - продажа и обслуживание автомобилей Tesla в России

and with a Cybertruck that seems made for the harsh and huge environment of Russia's muddy steppa

The Spiciest Russian Memes From Tesla's Cybertruck Launch - The Moscow Times

you're opening a huge market...

and with a Cybertruck that seems made for the harsh and huge environment of Russia's muddy steppa

Oh, my Overlord Musk. :eek: I didn't think of it before, but....

3j3s28.jpg

Porsche Logs 10,000 Binding Taycan Orders: Another 20,000 Pre-Ordered

Demand for the all-electric Porsche Taycan exceeds expectations of theGerman manufacturer, as 30,000 pre-orders with €2,500 down payments were received in Europe. We guess that the global number might be significantly higher.

Out of those 30,000, roughly 10,000 already placed a binding order. That's a lot, especially since the production plan for 2020 is only about 20,000 units.

Last edited:
Sometimes it's educational to re-hydrate aged FUD and see how well it has predicted the future.

Here are some quotes from October 4, 2019, when fund manager Mark Tepper appeared on CNBC.

Regarding TSLA...
“I don’t think it’s going to be worth betting on anytime in the near future,” Tepper, whose firm manages $500 million in assets, said Thursday on CNBC’s “Trading Nation.” “What you have here is you have a company that’s just quite frankly notorious for overpromising and underdelivering, so there’s absolutely no reason to own the stock right now.”

Tepper attributed his Tesla trepidation to a number of factors. From the company’s subpar profit margins to its not-so-hot track record in China to weakening demand for new vehicles altogether, there’s a growing list of worries for investors to navigate, he said.

“The narrative has switched from one of innovation to ... one of survival, so the stock’s going to get whacked every time they miss,” Tepper said. “You’ve got new competitors entering the market. You’ve got Volkswagen competing with the Model 3, Porsche with the Model S, so that’s not going to be good for sales.”

TSLA traded that day in pre-market at 231. This was barely two months ago.

Another genius who nailed it.

If you are basing that statement off of those two Tweets:
I'd say reporting that an acquaintance spotted a Y in Europe at a service center and sales expansion aligning with GF4 construction

He did not say that "an acquantance" was just "spotting" things. He stated that he had inside information from an source inside Tesla. Which what he revealed is in accordance with that - you can't just "spot" that the Model Y arrived in Europe, was in the Netherlands yesterday, is now in Germany, and is planned to continue being moved around Europe for training. And you definitely can't just "spot" Tesla's expansion plans for 2020. These are things that the person learned during the course of their job, which are not public**. That makes them insider information.

Maybe you don't worry about TSLAQ reporting Morten for this. I do. I think the main thing that he has to his benefit is that regulatory enforcement of insider trading is random and spotty at best, and to them, Morten is a nobody.

** -- Unless said individual, or Morten, is lying, and all they're doing is just random guesswork with no actual knowledge from inside Tesla. Wherein Morten is ripping his Patreons off, but that's legal ;)

Both companies will eventually figure it out, but fast forward 10-20 years from now my bet is still on Tesla as they’ll have millions of cars on the road ready for deployment. What is Waymo going to do, build millions of cars overnight? 1 million cars @ $50k a piece is already $50 billion dollars.

I think both companies will capture major parts of the robot taxi business initially, but in the end, I think google will get squeeze out of the game as they don’t have a fleet.

Google has absolutely no need of building any car whatsoever to get Waymo to be a major player in the market. They simply provide software for all the other car manufacturers who have no intention to build such software.

Android. Has more than 50% of all mobiles and tablets market, yet doesn't make a single portable devise.[/QUOTE]

• Disagree
Reactions: davepsilon
THIS.

When the good Putin's friend Abramovich is passionated of electric cars and Tesla

Roman Abramovich Is Buying Up Teslas to Give to His Friends

and with no Tesla retailers or service people import Tesla with a 60% price increase

Moscow Tesla Club - продажа и обслуживание автомобилей Tesla в России

you're opening a huge market...
I've noticed that most weeks, the most watched Youtube video that have "Tesla" in the titles are either in Russian or in another Eastern-European language. Most seem to feature men who care a lot about masculinity traits, talk about the technical benefits of EV and OTA updates. I've found this quite surprising because the Russian economy relies a lot on fossil fuels, and because Tesla isn't yet officially open for business there. I believe the audience for these videos is well versed in engineering, and recognize that climate change is a critical issue, and that EVs are ready even in very cold climate.

I think the main argument against the Waymo/Cruise approach is that it is very dependent on detailed mapping and Lidar.

The concern is that this approach does not scale well. I.e. it is hard to generalize the specific to whole. E.g., while you might learn extremely well around you bedroom without nary a collision with bed or chair, it may not prepare you for the wider house nor the wider world. Applying their approach to all communities requires fine mapping all of them.
And assuming that it's supposed to work everywhere (eventually) it also means the maps must be current and up to date--something maps seldom are. The main advantage to the Way/Cruise approach is that a demo case can be made quickly. It's probably not possible to turn the demo cases into a generalized solution.