Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
1. I am sure they have thought about security
2. Is the concern the driver seeing something? I think if they need to keep something under wraps they know how. But considering autopilot should be pretty darn good by the time that factory opens, my guess is if it was really a concern then the trucks would enter the facility autonomously.
How could they possibly secure the hundreds of huge trucks rolling directly through their factories given the enormity of anti-Tesla economic forces aligned against Tesla, both law abiding and otherwise (unions)? Autonomously navigated or not, there's no telling what -and I can think of too many bad examples that I won't mention here for fear of spreading bad ideas) that could disable the factory for a very long time.

How could they possibly secure the hundreds of huge trucks rolling directly through their factories given the enormity of anti-Tesla economic forces aligned against Tesla, both law abiding and otherwise (unions)? Autonomously navigated or not, there's no telling what -and I can think of too many bad examples that I won't mention here for fear of spreading bad ideas) that could disable the factory for a very long time.

Theoretically the factory could have its own employee drivers, that could swap the trailers and make the interior deliveries? If not that, there could be some kind of movable walls that surround the truck lanes inside the factory? In any case, I'm sure Tesla has thought about it already.

Reactions: Dig deeper

What would the difference be to the trucks along the outside of the factories currently?

tesla-shanghai-1C-t1phbviqvvt31-1280x720.jpg

The only major difference is that it's in between the factory halves, which is almost a necessity simply because of the size factor.

Apple currently generates $50 Billion annually in services revenue from ~1 Billion userbase, which is $50 per user per year, and this excludes the passthrough portion of app revenue (eg the 70% that goes to 3rd party developers for 3rd party apps is not included, only Apple's ~30% cut is) so the gross amount of revenue per user is actually much higher than $50.

So with a long term view a Tesla userbase of 50 million cars generating $50-$100 a year each on average in app revenue would be $2.5-$5 Billion revenue per year. If it is anywhere near Apples services gross margins (70%) that would translate to $1.75 - $3.5 Billion in Gross Profit for Tesla.

yes, a 50 million userbase of Teslas may take a while to build (we are talking ~10 years) so likely not a big earner in the short term, but something to think about long term even if it does pale in comparison to annual revenue/profits from upfront Auto & Energy sales.

There's a likelihood that Tesla could earn more per customer than Apple on a subscription service, purely because Tesla vehicles are more complicated and need more maintenance than smartphones.

In theory services could include most of the subscription revenue earned from smartphones (music, videos, storage, etc. probably not fitness), while also including vehicle maintenance, insurance, extended warranty, parking, cleaning, roadside assistance, priority repairs, 3rd party offers. Then if you include Tesla solar/powerwall or potentially V2G with roadrunner cells there could be revenue sharing from a virtual powerplant, extra share of revenue once autonomous/ridesharing goes live.

That's just the direct bundling of current tesla roadmap products. As Tesla grows it's current lines it can expand to adjacent markets and include those products too (e.g. vehicle insurance could expand to home insurance).

I'm sure there's many more opportunities than the obvious ones I've stated above.

Trevor Milton STEPS DOWN. He has already made his money. Job done.
Nikola founder Trevor Milton to voluntarily step down as executive chairman

There is a slight chance this might cause some money to move into TSLA as a flight-to-safety

Eh, a lot of the bag holders retail investors probably will get burned by this, and either A) won't have any money left, or B) won't go into TSLA because of anger at the stock market, or "renewable" stocks.

So, I think this will either not effect TSLA at all, or cause a negative effect as it causes a scare through the newbie, COVID-start traders.

Apple currently generates $50 Billion annually in services revenue from ~1 Billion userbase, which is $50 per user per year, and this excludes the passthrough portion of app revenue (eg the 70% that goes to 3rd party developers for 3rd party apps is not included, only Apple's ~30% cut is) so the gross amount of revenue per user is actually much higher than $50.

So with a long term view a Tesla userbase of 50 million cars generating $50-$100 a year each on average in app revenue would be $2.5-$5 Billion revenue per year. If it is anywhere near Apples services gross margins (70%) that would translate to $1.75 - $3.5 Billion in Gross Profit for Tesla.

yes, a 50 million userbase of Teslas may take a while to build (we are talking ~10 years) so likely not a big earner in the short term, but something to think about long term even if it does pale in comparison to annual revenue/profits from upfront Auto & Energy sales.

Ah yeah - I just rechecked and iphone revenue has gone up a lot since I last checked.

U.S. iPhone Users Spent An Average of $100 on Apps in 2019, Up 27% from 2018

About 100 per device according to this. 50 million devices is not a lot in the context of smartphones (And it will take 5+ years to get that many Teslas on the road).

I don't see an app store happening for 5+ years because the time and money spent on expansion have massive returns. The massive time and effort of writing a full OS for 3rd party apps for a customer base of 50 million only has horrible returns in comparison.

China doesn't really seem to be up much so if Fremont isn't it seems like everyone is off on their estimates.
I wanna apologize for my faulty math last night. Not sure how I was thinking. I'm guessing I forgot that the record is Q4 2019, not Q1 2020. And China estimates have been coming down from 50k to around 40k from people like Troy and others.

So 112k delivered q4 2019, maybe 1k M3 already made in China then so 111k for Fremont. With my China estimate probably coming in at 35k or slightly higher this quarter that should bring us to around at least 145k or so. Which is inline with most 'non-analysts' estimates and still gives a good chance to reaching 500k for the year.

I agree China made M3 deliveries can't be included in Elons numbers regarding record quarter in the email.

Reading some of the knuckle-draggers replying to his comments makes me want to remortgage my hosue and buy more TSLA stock. Its like the stock is a magnet for the most poorl-informed, unimaginative, and plain-simple stupid 'investors' to short. I simply cannot get my head around people being so completely and utterly useless at stock-picking that they look at what tesla has achieved, and then decide that now, yes NOW, is a great time to bet *against* tesla. Are these people on drugs?

I hope they all lose every single penny they own.
I put anti-mask, anti-vaxxers and TSLA shorts in the same category.

People who pathologically deny science, evidence and facts for the sake of their own irrational beliefs. They were not that problematic before but now spreading misinformation on social medias online like wildfire and putting other people health and savings at risk

Last edited: