Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have no idea how the other brands are going to be able to source batteries in any real quantity. Tesla is undoubtedly locking up supply with all the battery makers. Hearing Elon say they will continue to buy as many batteries as they can, while ramping up their own supply is very bullish to me. Not sure why the market disagrees.
I thought this was something he categorically denied.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1272856252003921921

Of course, would love a 100kWh Model 3, would be right behind you in line to order one.
I keep going back and forth between selling my 3 when I get the truck or keeping it. If I sell the 3 that will get me closer to owning a Roadster but a ludicrous 3 (or cyber 3) might be enough to put the roadster on the back burner.

then the time to shut off the Pana cells and go with roadrunner cells is as soon as
We already saw a report that Panasonic shipped zero 18650 cells to N. America from Japan in August 2020.

"When Cortez arrived in the New World, the first thing he did was burn his ships. As a result, his men were well motivated."​

It makes no sense for Tesla to hire 400 people for cell production at Kato Rd unless each of their marginal productivity is at least as good as at GF1/Nevada. That's the implied scale of production.

That workforce implies the Roadrunner line will be capable of 10-12 GWh/yr of bty cells. That's enough for all S/X/R2, not just small numbers of Plaid vehicles.

I look for Tesla to switch S/X production to RR packs as soon as practical, which means weeks or months, not years.

I further expect limited initial Semi production will also tap this cell supply, although its not clear were assembly will happen (thou I do suspect the Semi pilot line to be near the Engineering team). Watch for more tents to 'Sprung' up... ;)

Cheers!

I thought this was something he categorically denied.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1272856252003921921

Of course, would love a 100kWh Model 3, would be right behind you in line to order one.

It's not "in development" and he did say that Ludicrous would come to the 3. I had always thought it would simply be a software update to the current P but with the new Panasonic chemistry I wonder.

Screen Shot 2020-09-22 at 10.08.40 AM.png

Novonix (battery tech), on my watchlist, soaring. novonix stock - Google Search Make of this what you will. Seems pretty peculiar...

I had that and TSLA in my short term account. Hadn't touched the Novonix for months. I was like "WTF is wrong with my P&L". Finally I switched over to Novonix and saw it up 500%. I sold half, read the news, sold the rest. I'll buy back later.

Thank you again for whoever suggested that!!! <3

It's not "in development" and he did say that Ludicrous would come to the 3. I had always thought it would simply be a software update to the current P but with the new Panasonic chemistry I wonder.

View attachment 590852

Think that was what track mode did along with suspension / traction control, within the confines of what can be done with a 75kWh pack.

I believe there are more things to take into consideration re: structural integrity, chassis performance and aero development when you introduce more performance into the car - so it is simply not a case of adding more kWh to the drivetrain.

Reactions: Nocturnal
I had that and TSLA in my short term account. Hadn't touched the Novonix for months. I was like "WTF is wrong with my P&L". Finally I switched over to Novonix and saw it up 500%. I sold half, read the news, sold the rest. I'll buy back later.

Thank you again for whoever suggested that!!! <3
It's down to a more sensible (but very UP) level. I wonder if it was a squeeze of some sort?

I also own that stock thanks to The Limiting Factor so thanks Gordon :)

Elon's tweet last night seems like the battery day equivalent to "the stock is too high". His way of tapping the brakes to slow down speculation.
Or just a reality check that manufacturing is hard-- and to get to economies of scale will require alot of engineering and well thought processes. Tech is great, but making durable goods on a mass produced level is much harder. I hope someone will ask about the process for scaling said upcoming tech and existing tech for the cars, batteries, and solar. And I hope someone can ask about the machine that builds the machine-- therein lies the true value.

Reactions: saniflash
Think that was what track mode did along with suspension / traction control, within the confines of what can be done with a 75kWh pack.

I believe there are more things to take into consideration re: structural integrity, chassis performance and aero development when you introduce more performance into the car - so it is simply not a case of adding more kWh to the drivetrain.

Yes and no. Squeezing ludicrous max power figure out of that 75kwh pack might be quite difficult. The thing about those bigger packs is higher rate of charge and discharge.

As far as the 3 being a track car it's pretty solid structurally and aero is decent. What's needed is better brakes and pack cooling.

Well, if they had a perfectly good 2013 S 85 and the charging rate was reduced from 120 kW to 80 kW by Tesla (effectively doubling the time spent at a Supercharger), they would certainly care about a battery that would have a greatly reduced chance of the charge rate being capped.
Pfft! How about (in 2023) the owner of that 2013 S85 visits a Tesla mobile bty swap station (beep-beep), and drives out with a car that charges at 250 kW (effectively halving the time spent at a Supercharger)? :D

1486682257640126404741.jpeg