Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So... having watched/read some of the battery day prognostication, something dawned upon me.

We know/surmise the following:

- There's going to be larger cell format (45-54mm diameter)
- The new cell will be tabless design
- Internal resistance should be reduced
- The volume-to-surface area for the contents vs. can would be increased
- The number of jelly roll layers increases

So when it comes to power vs thermal management, it's surmised that the lesser internal resistance of the new tabless design should produce less internal heating during high power charging or driving. This would help offset the lesser can surface area for cooling. However, the larger diameter cells imply that the heat has to travel through more insulative jelly roll layers to eventually be extracted from the cell.

But then I realized: the very thing that makes the tabless cell such a great performer in terms of power, would also make it a great performer for thermal management.

That is, the metallic foil that's a great power conductor is also a great heat conductor. And that tabless design that radically increases the area of contact for electron flow also increases the contact area for heat extraction. And there aren't multiple anode/cathode/sperator layers for the heat to travel through when traversing the foil to the edge where it contacts the cell cap.

And Tesla already has to make a mechanical connection to the cap to collect current. That current collector is metallic, which is also a great conductor of heat.

So here's my not-really-a-prediction for battery day: A single mechanical connection to the cell cap provides both electrical and thermal coupling.

This could even be some sort of common plate that integrates the cap/current-collector/cooling-medium that spans groups of cells. If highly integrated, this could reduce parts count and ease assembly.

There are some caveats certainly: Tesla uses fusible links for each cell, these are likely too small to be effective cooling conductors... so something would need to change there. Tesla also uses top-cap connections for both the positive and negative connections on the 2170's, that might make a common collector difficult.

So I don't give this a very big chance of actually happening... at least as part of today's announcements. But I could see it being a thing in the future.

(disclaimer, I didn't watch every single battery day video, so if this idea has already been covered, please ignore me)

I agree. You can only have a bigger cylindrical cell if you have better thermal management. Tabless helps a lot, but having the electrode metals be the direct heat conductor would be a game changer (I think, it isn't as if we've modeled it, lol). It'll be fun seeing if we're right.

Agreed. That % of improvement should be able to bring that pack to 100kwh with little other changes. Thus, bringing us the long speculated [and confirmed by Elon] ludicrous Model 3. Thus, me opening my wallet.

Panasonic already announced that, beginning Sep 2020, their Giga Nevada 2170 cells would have 5% more capacity, and that they would eventually increase that to 20%.

This is not new News. This is a consequence of the 3-yr bty contract signed with Tesla on Apr 1st, 2020 and announced publicly back in June.

And no, Fremont is not switching Model 3/Y from 2170 cells to RR cells anytime soon. More likely, Panasonic continues to receive incremental technology transfer from Tesla to continuously improve those 2170s. ie: an existing 75kWh pack with enhanced 2170s could have 90kWh.

It will be interesting if any technical info leaks about Panasonic's new line now under construction in Sparks. They claim this single line will add 10% production capacity to the existing 13 lines (now all producing automotive cells). That's a nearly 30% production increase for the new line vs. the existing ones. I wonder how much of the improvement will be chemistry, and how much will be in the production equipment/process.

Cheers!

Last edited:
So here's my not-really-a-prediction for battery day: A single mechanical connection to the cell cap provides both electrical and thermal coupling.

Tabless helps a lot, but having the electrode metals be the direct heat conductor would be a game changer

That is specifically what tabless is. The electrodes connect direclty to the end caps over their full length.

Reactions: scaesare and JRP3
In honor of battery day (and my friggin' 2-week account transfer finally hitting):

trade_20200922.png

Now I can enjoy the afternoon at the beach before coming back to watch the battery day stream... beverage in hand, of course...

The sell the news team wanted a reason to start cashing out. Elon could have tweeted « Bazinga » and the stock would have tanked the same.

I don't consider a 5% down move a "tank". That's well within the margin of error of the companies valuation. You can't think of it as "lost" cash in your account anymore than you can think of a 5% intra-day move up as "earned" or "gained" cash in your account. It's not cash, it's shares.

Today I will gain a better understanding of just how much all those shares in my account are worth. As usual, I won't base it on aftermarket price moves or what it trades for in Frankfurt, I'll base it on what I think it means for the long-term future of the company. The shares I hold are not cash - they are fractional ownership of a company I think has a great future. A large part of that value is comprised of all the great minds Elon and team have caused to become assembled (now in multiple locations around the world) and the culture of innovation he has created. That is the true value of this company. The battery day news will simply be the reflection of that value that Elon and team have created.

The value is not in the news itself - it's in the shares that represent the culture that created this news and what it means for Tesla's positioning in the future as the world demands a more sustainable future, a future that doesn't suffocate and drive to extinction the very species that technology purports to serve. The stakes are high and they are not measured in dollars.

Just bought some TSLA and shorted some NKLA, because clearly everyone is insane and this is a great way for me to monetize their cluelessness.
I recently made a nice profit on a NKLA short, but happily the cult have given me a chance to do the exact same thing a few days later. How kind of them. I shall spend it on some champagne to drink to celebrate battery day!

Seriously...there are 365 days in a year. What sort of genius decides to SELL tesla stock the day before battery day announcements. Thats spiegel level skillz!

That is specifically what tabless is. The electrodes connect direclty to the end caps over their full length.
Not trying to speak for @Cosmacelf... but I think we all agree that's what the tabless design is, but it's been discussed primarily in terms of what it improves electrically. We are surmising it could also provide a big thermal advantage... it's just that Tesla would then need to switch to end-cap style cooling...

We seem to all 3 be in agreement.

• Helpful
Reactions: copyhacker