Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regarding which new battery tech goes where - there was info from carsonight I think last week that GF Nevada has a new line that produces 2170s with an improved chemistry https://twitter.com/carsonight/status/1305332657622978560 (which doesn´t appear in the discussion here much). I would think those would be for updated S/X for now (while carsonight thinks they´ll be for Cyber Truck). Kato Road (likely tabless, dry cathode, cell-to-pack) for new products not on the market yet (different form factor, not as much proven as of now).
My guess would be that the upgraded 2170s go first to performance Model 3/Y.

With the benefit of a full night's sleep, I've done a full 180 on this tweet. Elon purposely tamping down SP today. I don't see any other logical explanation.

I thought he was simply giving an anti-osborning message, but if he was......why Battery Day Eve @ 4:05? That's designed to cap pre-Battery Day excitement and run-up. Probably saved us money.

I thought we'd be flat right through this week, Elon probably saw a huge bubble coming today that would pop on Thursday. Keeping day traders on their toes!
Nah I agree with those who thinks Elon is trying to calm suppliers and preventing some osbourne. It's not his nature to ease hype. He said the word insane like 3 times the last week, and blow your mind during the earnings report. Not only that he said it still blows his mind and he knows what it is. I don't know about you but that's peak hype.

every once in a while EM has to tamp out the flames...(even if a few of of them have been stoked by himself along the way) - Mule beat me to it!

its one thing to have self-anointed tesla experts taking every word and spinning it into some crazy outcome that will never happen,
but i think most importantly,
he doesnt want speculators (thus the whole entrenched mechanism), or anyone not inline with tesla mission,
- controlling the narrative -

we see it all the time, people try to control the narrative...
- for attention
- to capitalize
- attempt/pretend to do the above but unintentionally display idiocy because their whole life is denial (no references needed)
- sometimes a combo of any or all of above
I feel mildly embarrassed as a fanboi that I actually thought yesterday this was a poorly thought out tweet. Like Elon's gonna do that on BD Eve. Unimaginable with 5 minutes of logical thought.

Absolutely hilarious. We are all living in Elon's wake.

With the benefit of a full night's sleep, I've done a full 180 on this tweet. Elon purposely tamping down SP today. I don't see any other logical explanation.

I thought he was simply giving an anti-osborning message, but if he was......why Battery Day Eve @ 4:05? That's designed to cap pre-Battery Day excitement and run-up. Probably saved us money.

I thought we'd be flat right through this week, Elon probably saw a huge bubble coming today that would pop on Thursday. Keeping day traders on their toes!

yep. but i still think more about narrative control than price

Reactions: S3XY and oldTAVguy
Wait, I hope it wasn't another hidden message! :eek::cool:

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Important note about Tesla Battery Day unveil tomorrow. This affects long-term production, especially Semi, Cybertruck & Roadster, but what we announce will not reach serious high-volume production until 2022.
4:56 PM · Sep 21, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Elon Musk
@elonmusk

Replying to
@elonmusk
We intend to increase, not reduce battery cell purchases from Panasonic, LG & CATL (possibly other partners too). However, even with our cell suppliers going at maximum speed, we still foresee significant shortages in 2022 & beyond unless we also take action ourselves.

Go back to bed. Try again.

Ok so here is one mystery - what happens to GF1 cells long term?

If, as expected, the new cell & cell production tech unveiled tomorrow is both significantly cheaper and higher performance on key metrics, what use does Tesla have or the existing cells and cell production lines in GF1 produced by Panasonic once Tesla has enough capacity from its own cell production (say 2023)?

Why would Tesla continue to use a more expensive and less capable cell in any of its products at that point?

The only thing I can think of that they would be useful for is for providing battery packs to other auto OEMS, at least until Tesla has enough capacity to also serve that potential market from its own cell production.

At this point the only reason that Tesla continues using those GF1 cells long term is if Panasonic lowers the prices to match what Tesla can produce its own cells for, or because Tesla is contractually obliged long term to use them.

Pages behind again, sorry if better answered.

Tesla has cell technology, implementation tech and credibility.

To further the mission, helping panasonic, catl etc is a good idea. Panasonic just wants to make a profit (plus internal politics). If Tesla can enable panasonic to make more money, all is well. Contracts can be renegotiated.

Not so perfect news out of the bag ~ started to rain on the parade.

Get over it retail investors like me. Email to employees ~ “we must work hard to beat, not day dream about, setting a new delivery record.” Delivery is each and every car paid for, all the Ts crossed and “i’s” dotted. Record breaking deliveries, nothing about hoping to make a profit.

Take a breather. When I retired from the service as a living fool/loser, I told the only person that stood by me that I would never, ever, work on a job where I had to eat out in the rain. The quarter ends next week, unless it is wet from the rain. The S&P May wake up and say, “damn, I should have had a V-8.”

As your friendly observer, relax. Tell me again how close other auto makers are to building their own battery plant. Tell me how willing Panasonic, LG and the like are betting on start ups to supply batteries at a lower volume than Tesla. GM maybe?

Here is to Good Will hunting. Sit back, enjoy the show and then go out and buy a Roadster.:cool: No rain dripping off my helmet into my plate of food, thank you very much.