Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are too busy making trades.

But if you can't answer these questions yourself, you should to stop trading options until you do.

Naked selling options is one way to go bankrupt really fast.

I am out and about on phone, so will let others answer in detail.

ofcourse i am not going sell puts naked. i would keep cash. I have many TSLA stocks to cover selling calls I am waiting for them to be transferred to this account. I am trying to understand this for sure. anyhow thanks for posting

Last edited:
Reactions: saniflash
ofcourse i am not going to do it Naked. I have many TSLA stocks to cover such a sell of puts trade, I am waiting for them to be transferred to this account. I am trying to understand this for sure. anyhow thanks for posting

You don't cover a sold Put with stock, you back it with cash. But, most people don't do that because it's a poor use of capital, so typically margin is used. Now, if you are indeed thinking that you're covering that Put with stock, you're in for a double whammy: One, you have to buy TSLA at the agreed upon price, and Two, you have to sell the TSLA you have at that low price in order to get the cash to buy the shares being put to you. So, now you have a transaction with potential tax ramifications and have also reset the the holding period on your holding.

ARK kept all TSLA shares.

View attachment 595696
ARK (all of their funds) will hold position with TSLA unless there is a large price movement. They will sell after a big jump up, as their guidelines force them to stay under a certain dollar percentage, and they will buy more after a big crash, because they believe in their own estimates.

Tesla Bull Rushmore?

Who was publicly the earliest big bull with large targets for TSLA?
Andrea James, but I've forgotten who she worked for at the time. And funnily enough Adam Jonas at first, until someone trod on him from above. It got very confusing for a while, people would type AJ but it was unclear which one they were referring to.

Edit: Andrea worked for Doherty at the time (99% sure), then for Tesla for a while.

More edit: I think she predicted something like $180 when TSLA was in the doldrums of the mid thirties.

Last edited:
I must live in a different world than some of you. I’ve never had someone bash my car. Mostly they are curious and ask reasonable questions. My daughter took it to a hot car meetup at a local bar. I thought it would be hooted out. Those guys were all over it. It was a Hit.
Same. My uncle who always voted for conservatives (called Liberals in Australia) suddenly bought a Model S, spoiling my chance at getting the first Tesla in the family. Best part is I never discussed the cars with him, so he must have heard about them elsewhere (he’s a doc.. hope there is strong peer pressure amongst them to get the latest Tesla instead of Mercury/BMW). He knew that I owned shares and in the last zoom call, he made sure to check that I hadn’t sold it yet :D

Important to note that an IV of 83% is still incredibly high for a stock. The only reason it looks cheap is due to the extraordinary volatility of Tesla stock trading over the last 12 months.

If Tesla resumes trading in a somewhat normal manner in a trading range for any extended period of time, IV % could be cut in half and option pricing collapse from what are now still very elevated levels.

Not an advice, do you own due diligence etc etc.

That's my worry after S&P inclusion the IV collapsing.

I have stated before, I bought first 1K shares in Aug. 2011 at $23.80. Thought I was buying a car company and supporting the mission. Little by little, I learned from this forum that Tesla would be a a series of cross-linked technologies that would doom legacy cars and transform utilities. I believe a TMC member Julien Cox first explained what Tesla could become. Like other valuable contributors, he was expelled for unknown reasons.

Who are some of the original Tesla share holders? The under 30 dollar/share pre split group?
I was discussing here and waiting for the IPO since the Roadster and T-Shirts where the only products Tesla sold. I bought a shirt but only test drove the Roadster. Then started buying stock. My post split lowest cost share is $4.74

one of dave’s best

andrea is maybe the best. way ahead of her time covering tesla

I agree with the Andrea push for 'the mount' and the most interesting (aggravating) bit for me that came out of Dave's interview with her is that analysts get 'call backs' after the broadcasted CCs following each ER. They are intended to allow analysts to fact check their numbers/comments that will go into their reports but they also allow them to get another 'bite at the apple' for information that retail investors don't get.

Some of us were in the IPO at $17. Owning an original Roadster is a bit of a giveaway.

If only more people realized then what an excellent investment a $100,000+ two-seater could be.:)

I suspect buying a Roadster is one of the best investments many owners ever made (same principle for many Model S, X, 3 and Y owners ....)

Last edited:
I agree with the Andrea push for 'the mount' and the most interesting (aggravating) bit for me that came out of Dave's interview with her is that analysts get 'call backs' after the broadcasted CCs following each ER. They are intended to allow analysts to fact check their numbers/comments that will go into their reports but they also allow them to get another 'bite at the apple' for information that retail investors don't get.
Yep, that's just how it is. Large institutional holders also get these callbacks.