Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon said that Bioshock was one of the greatest games ever. The main storyline of the game involves a hard core libertarian attempting to create a utopia and failing spectacularly. It's a lesson in extremism so hopefully Elon took that message to heart. ;)

I truly hope Elon said this because he did not play System Shock. Basically, Shodan AI overtook the Citadel Station. Those who have played it know what I mean.

Reactions: Nocturnal
dae7e8902feca18919b31ee186f20534.png

Those one time earnings sure seem to keep coming.
And if there was a way to make money from the current regulatory market, for example in securities etc that would be all good. However in opposite world Tesla takes full advantage of this credit-- money, and is snubbed by the market. So besides maximizing profits, tesla also makes EVs, stationary energy storage, energy generation from solar, and soon starlink enable wireless energy transmission (that's just my hypothesis), as well as their own GPU to play games, err drive your car...

I’m still amazed how many, even long time investors in Tesla and in general, can’t seem to hear what Musk is saying. And they think they are hearing something else or that they know better. :rolleyes:

“ we want to be the best at manufacturing, THAT IS OUR GOAL”

If you can’t understand what that means, just think of what his companies are doing. Manufacturing at the highest levels, products used outside the planet, products used on the planet and products used inside the humans that inhabit this planet.

They will reach that goal, as everyone else is sleeping and got complacent.

Don’t worry everyone, 2030 will come. And some of us might even make it till then and hopefully a few years after.

My only regret when I’ll pass is that I won’t see what’s next, for this ridiculous species that I am part of.

Enjoy the ride, Nothing is Forever! :)
You left out products used inside the Planet...Boring.

Last edited:
Reactions: capster and Paul_SF
Costs will come down in a manner more similar to computers, big screen TV's and digital cameras. So be prepared for margins to expand dramatically as the cost to manufacture continues to decline and there is no need to lower prices further.

Great post. At BD Musk said he thought Tesla could offer a 25K car perhaps within 3 years. We expect Chinese EV makers (and perhaps India EV makers) to meet demand in those countries for smaller, lower range EVs at much lower price points than 25K.
So it depends on how far down the EV price curve Musk thinks Tesla needs to go to assure the EV portion of the mission will succeed.

What is your guess on how far down that curve Tesla will go and how far out that takes us as the 10 year ramp up proceeds?
For example, If they decide they need to mass produce 20K cars as their last step, we might project margins to expand 3 to 4 years farther out, say 2027.

It occurs to me that as far ranging as Elon's thirst for new "impossible" to solve problems seems to be, once reducing CO2 emissions is moving irreversibly in a downward direction, he may look for a best first principles solution to pulling CO2 out and sequestering it in a form that pays for most of the needed equipment and energy costs. Then Tesla's unmatched manufacturing expertise may be utilized for stabilizing and then reducing CO2 levels. If this comes to pass maybe company wide margins don't expand for the next several decades?

The algos are gonna feast on this downswing, especially if it deepens by Friday. A blue wave is becoming increasingly more likely, and I think we'll see folks start jumping Fri/Mon/Tues trying to frontrun the then inevitable $2.8B in stimulus. Volatility from here on out!
Even if the blue wave happens, nobody takes office until January. Hopefully everything works out, but I suppose there is a chance the stimulus might not happen until January if there is a lot of post-election mud slinging. I am trying to sit on my hands until at least Friday to see how the next two days shake out....

Lol @ investors flocking to utilities this week as the "safe haven". There's no sector more ripe for existential disruption and permanent profit destruction.

Oil taking it on the chin today with much more likely to come as the year wraps and we reckon with massive oversupply in a peaked industry.

Fun times! Maybe these people will figure out the logical landing spot for their long-term investments?
I've spent my entire career consulting for utility companies. I wouldn't invest in them. ;)

Found out why $TSLA is down today....

View attachment 603125

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"The critical difference in the Super Cruise system is a driver-facing infrared camera to make sure he or she is paying attention to the road and is ready to take over manual control when necessary, said Kelly Funkhouser, head of connected and automated vehicle testing at Consumer Reports." Once again a metric based on how much it can revert back to a human driver, not how well the system actually drives. My guess is these surveys do not believe full self driving will be achieved, so they award their points based on how well it interacts with humans in control.

Edit: "The Ford Model T ranks last in our list of horse transportation, as it produces no fertilizing manure at all!"

"The critical difference in the Super Cruise system is a driver-facing infrared camera to make sure he or she is paying attention to the road and is ready to take over manual control when necessary, said Kelly Funkhouser, head of connected and automated vehicle testing at Consumer Reports." Once again a metric based on how much it can revert back to a human driver, not how well the system actually drives. My guess is these surveys do not believe full self driving will be achieved, so they award their points based on how well it interacts with humans in control.
And my guess is that Tesla doesn't participate in ANY Consumer Reports....hence .... well....we all know...o_O

Uncertainty like this is brilliant for us long term investors. This will uncover the best opportunity to add on our positions while the media gets caught up in the market crash. Once the market bottoms out, again TSLA is going to emerge stronger and will hit higher highs. Investing when everybody else is scared is fantastic.

Who is buying other than odd lot retail?
With market in flux, if you were a big fund would you buy everything now or would you drop the bid and buy on the way down?
If I were large fund I would not be starting new large position here, I'd shake the tree.
Is everyone here scared? If no, then not a bottom yet.
I read everyone still morning dip buying, at some point the market gonna break them of that habit

Last edited:
dae7e8902feca18919b31ee186f20534.png

Those one time earnings sure seem to keep coming.

That can't be right! On CNBS Gordon said Tesla has used up all the FSA credits. Or, was it Yahoo Finance. Anyway, I believe he actually said that Tesla must have PULLED CREDITS FORWARD from next year, because, by his calculations, they shouldn't have had that many in Q3. :confused: The guy is such a lying moron, but it does make me ask: can Tesla even do that, pull credits forward? It seems highly unlikely, but GJ keeps dreaming these lies up and spitting them out as "essentially" correct. :rolleyes: When are they going to start calling him out on some of these dopey theories of his?

Consumer Reports pays for the products they test and accepts no advertising.

i mean, they are flat wrong about autopilot, but whatever biases they have are not due to ad revenue or payola.

And, as an FYI: they posted a video of AP blowing through a stop sign a few weeks ago.

Problem was a very sharp-eyed watcher noted that THE AP WASN'T EVEN ENGAGED . . . .

To the best of my knowledge CR did not retract the video. (Nor did they respond to my emails advising of this gross and misleading display.)

CR has lost a massive amount of credibility of late and it is really disappointing to see them act in such a careless manner.

Edit: "The Ford Model T ranks last in our list of horse transportation, as it produces no fertilizing manure at all!"

Consumer reports should stick to rating dishwashers. They are good that.

Tesla Autopilot 'a distant second' to GM's Super Cruise in hands-free test: Consumer Reports
BY REUTERS — 6:08 AM ET
By Paul Lienert

DETROIT (Reuters) - General Motors Co's (GM) Super Cruise once again edged Tesla's Autopilot in an evaluation of 17 vehicles equipped with active driving assistance systems (ADAS) by Consumer Reports, the testing organization said on Wednesday.

A Tesla Model Y fitted with Autopilot finished "a distant second," the group said, to a Cadillac CT6 equipped with Super Cruise, which GM is rolling out to more than 20 vehicles - including its new Hummer electric pickup truck - over the next three years.

In the latest test, conducted this summer on a track and on public roads, the Cadillac scored 69 points out of a possible 100, while the Tesla scored 57. A Lincoln Corsair equipped with Ford Motor Co's (F) Co-Pilot 360 system, finished third with 52.

The critical difference in the Super Cruise system is a driver-facing infrared camera to make sure he or she is paying attention to the road and is ready to take over manual control when necessary, said Kelly Funkhouser, head of connected and automated vehicle testing at Consumer Reports.

Consumer Reports ratings 'a distant last place ' to everyone who bought TSLA.