Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
UK EV sales October 2020

View attachment 605512

EDIT: Legend/acronyms & YTD in post below

down a bit (511 vs Oct 2019 of 587) - but Sep 2019 was when Model 3 started arriving in numbers in UK (I believe). This year expecting December to be main delivery month for the quarter.

View attachment 605513

Look at the surge in MHEV Petrol. Just shows how many people are being taken in by the advertising (most adverts I have seen in the UK are for MHEV).

Edit: relevant to this thread because that is the main competition in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe). The other OEMs wasting their time and resources on MHEV is good for Tesla.

Last edited:
Look at the surge in MHEV Petrol. Just shows how many people are being taken in by the advertising (most adverts I have seen in the UK are for MHEV).

Are there still favourable tax-breaks for MHEV in the UK? They stopped them for PHEV's, right, as people were never actually plugging them in. It's nonsense to mention these vehicles in relation to BEV's, they're essentially ICE.

Wouldn't it make sense to invest more time and money in lobbying (instead of less), now that the lobby by EU competitors against autonomous driving has proven effective?

Not to get too far off track here...I did say more implying over and above what they are doing now....and, of course there is a need to level the playing field. Since there is a risk of this turning into another political discussion, I will leave it with this:

I hope we can agree that lobbyist are bottom-feeding scum that we could all do without.

Reactions: wipster
Look at the surge in MHEV Petrol. Just shows how many people are being taken in by the advertising (most adverts I have seen in the UK are for MHEV)..

This is certainly a continuous point of discussion here (Germany) with people contemplating *EV: "Oh, I hear EVs are still risky. I think I'll go for a hybrid first, and then if it proves to be reliable, I might switch to a BEV. "

Makes my head explode every time, and causes a loss of time of my life as I try to explain to them why they are worn on hybrids.

That the above post has received even a single “disagree” is suggestive either or both that some consider anarchy in this forum to be desirable, and/or that one word to the wise might suffice, but more words are needed for others, so here are more:

There is ZERO reason for this thread to be glommed up with such patently, tediously obvious posts, available from all standard news sites, like “Candidate X just won State H”. It is an absolutely deplorable disservice to the community.

Keep all posts to real insights.
What if this thread is your basic news source?

~~~Don’t even go there~~~

We are going to pop eventually. I bet the new CT details will cause another jump in reservations. Tesla is the only company where the concept car winds up being less impressive than the production version.

What if this thread is your basic news source?
Just get your news from Facebook memes like the rest of America.

Some form of easter egg I think. Googling for "25Guns", Google autofilled "25Guns Tesla" so there has probably been lots of searches for it today. It seems to be a reference to the Tesla Gun from Call of Duty, which was located in Germany. Tesla Gun

The second best I can come up with is "25 G uns" where G is "AISI and SAE carbon and alloy steels (except tool steels)" in the "Unified numbering system" (Unified numbering system - Wikipedia). But perhaps something that is German language specific.

Are there still favourable tax-breaks for MHEV in the UK? They stopped them for PHEV's, right, as people were never actually plugging them in. It's nonsense to mention these vehicles in relation to BEV's, they're essentially ICE.

I see any form of hybrid as a gateway drug to BEV nirvana (boring company, walking, bikes even better) and also a dumb idea to keep car servicing going.

UK taxes - company cars - BIK rate is MOST important. Private cars, used cars, ANNUAL road tax

BIK/Company cars

Company Electric Car Tax | Pod Point
"With the recent change of BiK rates in April 2020 (all BEVs pay no company car tax in 2020-21, just 1% in 2021-22 and 2% in 2022-23), a further increased uptake of fully electric company cars is to be expected."

BIK for plug in hybrids seem to be £37-80 per month. (it gets complicated as multipliers on tax rates needed).

From volvo...
upload_2020-11-5_13-3-24.png

BIK rates 2020 - BIK Tax Bands UK - Find BIK 2020/21
upload_2020-11-5_13-5-27.png

I think to get low BIK rates & therefore low tax, mild hybrid won't cut it.

Road Tax

Not much of a discount - so presumably EU emissions led, not sure what happens after Brexit. I suspect low-emissions/BEV might be concentrated on EU and UK might be left out.

Electric cars and road tax.

The rules changed again on 6 April 2020. Before this date, electric vehicles costing more than £40,000 were liable for an annual road-tax charge the first five times the tax was renewed. Now, no new electric car pays VED, no matter its original list price.

Road tax for vehicles registered after 6 April 2020
All cars are subject to a first-year payment, which varies depending on CO2 emissions. Thankfully, this initial fee is usually included in the car’s ‘on-the-road’ price – so you won’t get hit with a big bill just moments before you leave the showroom.

After that, normal petrol and diesel models costing less than £40,000 are subject to a flat VED rate of £150 per year, applicable for five years from the second time the vehicle is taxed. Note that that’s between £5 and £10 more than for cars registered pre-April 2020.

Mild-hybrid, hybrid and plug-in hybrid models are classed as ‘Alternative Fuel Cars’ and get a £10 discount on that rate, equating to an annual fee of £140.

Edit: relevant to this thread because that is the main competition in the UK (and probably the rest of Europe). The other OEMs wasting their time and resources on MHEV is good for Tesla.

I think it is relevant. I think hybrids are available and pushed by OEMs due to EU emissions targets/fines.

FUD against pure battery electric vehicles (BEV) is still strong.

I think the markets to break are badge/exec/motorway - BMW, Mercedes, Audi for Tesla and 'dependable/elderly/workhorse' buyers who don't care about cars much, just need the utility - Toyota buyers now, Renault Zoe and MG targets now (later Model 2/Too or smaller).

In the UK today:

Car sales set for worst year since 1982

New car sales forecast to fall to low not seen since 1982 with dealer closures threatening to mean automotive factories shutting down

Interesting extract:

Andrew Burn, head of automotive at KPMG UK, said: “What is really clear is that the winners in the sector are likely to be those who embrace online and remote selling as this will undoubtedly be the growth sales channel in the months to come.”

After-action Report: Wed, Nov 04, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "Market Loves TECH after U.S. Election"

Traded: $13,660,508,431.46 ($13.66B)
Volume: 32,242,774
VWAP: $423.68

Close: $420.98 / VWAP: 99.32%
TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM $399.047B / $183.182B = 217.84%

Note: Yahoo Finance updated TSLA Mkt Cap on Oct 27 for Sep 9th Cap-raise shares (per 10-Q). Google Charts updated Mkt Cap on Oct 28.
CEO Comp. Status:

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $403.08B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $294.19B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap for 5th tranche ($300B) tracking for Nov 09, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 49.5% (49th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 41.7% (47th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.56% of Short Volume (46th Percentile Rank)​

View attachment 605418

Comment: "Ergo, FSD Beta is not TECH... /s"

Note: " @Krugerrand said it best: SS/DD"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!
That you for your many informative contributions over the years.

In the UK today:

Car sales set for worst year since 1982

New car sales forecast to fall to low not seen since 1982 with dealer closures threatening to mean automotive factories shutting down

Interesting extract:

Andrew Burn, head of automotive at KPMG UK, said: “What is really clear is that the winners in the sector are likely to be those who embrace online and remote selling as this will undoubtedly be the growth sales channel in the months to come.”
So the creations of the dealership by Ford in early 1900 to save them from bankruptcy will be what ultimately cause their bankruptcy in the end. interesting

The markets would have been happy if Trump won because of deregulation.
But they are happy because Biden is winning because he’s more predictable for the economy than Trump
The Dow is on pace for its strongest post–Election Day rally in 120 years

So these elections were either an up or upper for the markets

Markets wrongly priced in violence/disruptions for a close election. So far, this hasn't happened. ...
I think most of the law abiding citizens support the complete count of votes and understand that it is the central tenet for a democracy.