Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I swear TMC is bi-polar. Last time I checked TSLA was +571% for the year, +406% year to date, +200% for six months, +42% for three months and yes, flat for the last three months and flat today. Woopde doo! Everyone, get over it. Direction is heading higher and long term cannot be beaten. From my daily research on all things Tesla since 2012, I could not think of a better investment than Tesla, bar none. Anyone thinking NIO or another will save our planet, then invest there.

I'm not really concerned with probable lack of new tax rebates. If Tesla are selling every vehicle they make then rebates will be of little consequence, perhaps being a looser for Tesla as they would encourage the competition.

What affect would a Biden presidency have on FSD and Robotaxi?

Faster or easier approval is where enormous increases in valuation could come from.

After-action Report: Wed, Nov 04, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "Market Loves TECH after U.S. Election"

Traded: $13,660,508,431.46 ($13.66B)
Volume: 32,242,774
VWAP: $423.68

Close: $420.98 / VWAP: 99.32%
TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM $399.047B / $183.182B = 217.84%

Note: Yahoo Finance updated TSLA Mkt Cap on Oct 27 for Sep 9th Cap-raise shares (per 10-Q). Google Charts updated Mkt Cap on Oct 28.
CEO Comp. Status:

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $403.08B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $294.19B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap for 5th tranche ($300B) tracking for Nov 09, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 49.5% (49th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 41.7% (47th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.56% of Short Volume (46th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-11-04.png

Comment: "Ergo, FSD Beta is not TECH... /s"

Note: " @Krugerrand said it best: SS/DD"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Lets add in the carbon market, and if it remains or expands, i'm totally behind tesla maximizing this as a revenue stream.

To elaborate on the Carbon credits relative to subsidies that distort the market, I don't put them into that category. Carbon credits are not really a subsidy at all because they were implemented in order to ensure that unwanted activities (in this case the sale of machines that increase CO2 and lead to global warming) are responsible for covering at least some of the cost of that activity and help transition the industry to technologies that have a lower warming effect. I would only consider this a distortion of the market if I thought that increasing CO2 concentrations did not cause further warming or I thought warming and the associated sea level rise was not a serious problem for humanity. The science is clear that it is a big problem, only the timing is in question.

On the other hand, there appears to be no rhyme or reason behind fossil fuel subsidies other than to enrich that industry and stimulate the growth of the economy now at everyone's expense later. Fossil fuel subsidies are non-sensical subsidies. It should be obvious to anyone that we should be building an economy that is sustainable, not "pumping one up" that is certain to self-destruct.

So, of course I'm in favor of the carbon credit system. Tesla doesn't need this to win but it certainly is a nice tailwind. Mostly it speeds up the transition to less harmful technologies by multiple companies and causes those who have profited from polluting to carry a small part of the true cost of their activities by helping to fund the solution.

After-action Report: Wed, Nov 04, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "Market Loves TECH after U.S. Election"

Traded: $13,660,508,431.46 ($13.66B)
Volume: 32,242,774
VWAP: $423.68

Close: $420.98 / VWAP: 99.32%
TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM $399.047B / $183.182B = 217.84%

Note: Yahoo Finance updated TSLA Mkt Cap on Oct 27 for Sep 9th Cap-raise shares (per 10-Q). Google Charts updated Mkt Cap on Oct 28.
CEO Comp. Status:

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $403.08B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $294.19B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap for 5th tranche ($300B) tracking for Nov 09, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 49.5% (49th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 41.7% (47th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 0.56% of Short Volume (46th Percentile Rank)​

View attachment 605418

Comment: "Ergo, FSD Beta is not TECH... /s"

Note: " @Krugerrand said it best: SS/DD"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Who do we lobby to request that 3 month and 6 month trailing average daily volume get added to these reports? :)

Last edited:
Quality of posts over the past several hours is deplorable.
That’s the nicest word of warning that will be forthcoming.
That the above post has received even a single “disagree” is suggestive either or both that some consider anarchy in this forum to be desirable, and/or that while one word to the wise might suffice, apparently more words are needed for others, so here are more:

There is ZERO reason for this thread to be glommed up with such patently, tediously obvious posts, available from all standard news sites, like “Candidate X just won State H”. It is an absolutely deplorable disservice to the community.

Keep all posts to real insights.

Who do we lobby to request that 3 month and 6 month trailing average daily volume get added to these reports? :)
Lol, it's all here: (even breaks it out into 3 or 6 mth samples upon your selection)

Tesla, Inc. Common Stock (TSLA) Historical Prices & Data - NASDAQ.com

Then, I use a Firefox addin "Tabletools" to produce a summary from the html table:

TSLA.HistoricalQuotes.TableTools.png

So, the 6-mth moving average TSLA daily volume is 65,886,865 (65.9M shares per day).

Equally interesting is the Standard Deviation, which is 28,716,383 (+/-28.7M shares per day).

That means we'd expect a daily volume falling anywhere in the range (37.2M to 94.6M) about 68% of the time.

THAT means about 1 day out of 3, we also expect volume to fall outside that range. We've bee frequently outside that range since about beginning of October.

Cheers!

“Tesla Project Will Install Another Giant Battery in Australia
France’s Neoen SA will partner with Tesla Inc. to install one of the world’s biggest lithium-ion batteries in Australia after reaching a grid connection deal with the power market operator.”

300MW Victorian Big Battery, double the size of Hornsdale. Targeting operational by end of 2021.

Tesla Project Will Install Another Giant Battery in Australia — Bloomberg

Couple thoughts on the EV subsidy...
  • Tesla has PROVEN that they can be wildly successful even after the subsidy is used up for them. By properly using their subsidies to position themselves for competitiveness, the subsidy was effective.
  • Most other manufacturers are "squandering" the advantage of their subsidy making fairly unpopular compliance cars instead of using the infusion of free margin to get a leg up. They will continue to take the free money, but do not seem particularly motivated to use it to position themselves into the future EV market... Not very effective.
  • While the subsidy is intended to accelerate the transition to ZEV, it is getting mixed results (per above) with taxpayer dollars
  • I'd be okay leaving the EV subsidy alone / as-is IF we ended oil/gas subsidies
  • Ironically, not only should oil/gas not have subsidies, but they should have a slowly increasing (decades, not months) environmental offset fee (that clearly fund innovative GHG reduction solutions) since they are creating the expensive environmental problem that costs money and that we have to fix. I'm not interested in destroying industries overnight, but rather nudging them in the RIGHT direction.
What a great conservative, fiscally responsible moral high ground it would be for Tesla to refuse subsidies and lobby for discontinuing fossil fuel subsidies instead to stifle the naysayers saying Tesla exists because of subsidies and credits! Wouldn't this make just about everyone happy politically except some ICE manufacturers who seem destined to fail anyway?