Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, just feels like one of those sustained buying days we saw after stock split was announced. I expect us to break the 465 key resistance level at some point today!
Compliance! :D

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-11-18.12-00.png

Cheers!

While that is obviously true, for anyone not reading the thread in real time the occasional post with a number, especially when it's actually moving a bit does help to make sense of the general mood of posts.

I wonder if there would be a way to put the stock ticker at the top of the bulletin board so that it's always available I just open Yahoo finance Tesla and it scrolls at the top of my screen live.

Hey - how do you sell so many puts? Do you really have free cash at hand to buy 3000 shares at $420? (1.26 million USD)
That's kinda bearish? I am all in - no spare cash at all. :)

I am trying to figure out how to sell puts on margin at Schwab, with my stock as security.. guess I will have to call and see if its possible at all?

Keep in mind that different investors have different needs as well. One example I'm still wrapping my brain around is that I am personally balancing growth with income, where until this summer I was all growth, all the time. It might be that they have enough TSLA that they're not looking for more - they're more focused on using those shares and cash to generate an income to live on, while still capturing some of the upside from the share price.

Or it could be something else completely different.

Barron's - hour ago: Buy Tesla Stock Because It’s a Tech Play Beyond Just Cars

Excerpt:

Tesla stock caught a ratings upgrade just days after the announcement that it will join the S&P 500 index in late December. The upgrade also comes after the stock is up 530% over the past year. It's a bold call, but Morgan Stanley analyst Adam Jonas believes Tesla is morphing into much more than an auto maker.

Jonas took his Tesla (ticker: TSLA) rating to the equivalent of Buy from Hold, and his price target to $540 from $360. What's more, his best-case scenario for shares is $1,068 a share, up more than 100% from recent levels.

"Tesla is on the verge of a profound [business] model shift," wrote Jonas in a Wednesday research report. "For the first time, we are adding software [and] connected vehicle services revenue to our earnings forecast and base-case valuation."

Do you need to have any cash at hand at all, or it is enough to stay well within your allowed margin?
Are you already approved for options and LVL 2 trading? If so just call up Schwab and they will walk you through what buttons to press.
If you are not set up, they will send you the additional forms over to get that set up.

• Helpful
Reactions: capster and UCF3
Do you need to have any cash at hand at all, or it is enough to stay well within your allowed margin?

You should get IB. They calculate that automatically for you. Cash becomes part of the margin calculation. Stock margin % gets adjusted all the time so it is best to use their number.

Understanding Margin Webinar Notes | Interactive Brokers

Also, I know another guy from Drammen and you guys have similar style in investing. You two probably know each other.

Starting to feel bad for the market makers having to try and cap this stock. At least they only have to do it for 40 more days. 40 looooooooong days.

Or they just turn around and position themselves for a big and long run up. Great thing for market makers - they have the tools to make money in either direction.

Honestly, I'm surprised. It's a great idea (for a company like Tesla), but at the same time they're an OEM, and vertical integration is almost a foreign concept. Them branching outside of the car assembling process at all is just shocking to me.
GMAC (now Ally Financial) makes more money off financing GMs than GM makes off of building GMs... :p

Besides, who else knows better how often their cars burn down?

National General Insurance - Wikipedia

Cheers!

Keep in mind that different investors have different needs as well. One example I'm still wrapping my brain around is that I am personally balancing growth with income, where until this summer I was all growth, all the time. It might be that they have enough TSLA that they're not looking for more - they're more focused on using those shares and cash to generate an income to live on, while still capturing some of the upside from the share price.

Or it could be something else completely different.

Before COVID, the conclusion from the calculus I made is that cash flow is more important than growth. As you can just redeploy the extra cash back into investment if you can't find any better way to use it.

However, COVID and the eventual money printing changed that whole equation. Now it is 200% in growth assets. The thing about this inflation bubble is that there is going to be a lag between the inflation of financial asset and real assets. So you want to take advantage of this transitional time and get into financial assets to grow. Then in 1 or 2 years time when inflation starts to arrives in real assets you use the financial assets to buy real assets.