Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got an invite today from my financial institution to participa/te in their "Fully Paid Lending" programme. Meaning, lending them my shares to use for options. Can recall at anytime. Paid monthly split income % 60-40 with institution. Percentages much higher than I thought. Does anyone participate in this? pros cons?

The shares are lend out for shorts to short, not for options.

This used to be hot discussion topic here about the merit to lend the shares, since it helps shorts to drive down the stock price. But since the recent run up, it's been a no factor for shorts to do anything to the SP.

Yes, it is pretty safe, most likely situation is you are not going to lose the shares if the shorts go bankrupt. It is guaranteed by the brokerage house. Only when the brokerage house as a whole go bankrupt, may you lose the shares. Even in that case, you are more like sell the shares and get the cash, since the brokerage house usually deposit in a custodian account the cash equivalent to the market value. If the brokerage house goes belly up, then you get the cash collateral. But do read the agreement carefully, different brokerage house may do different things in this regard.

Even thought the split is 60-40, but the fair as a whole is meager, like less than 1% of the market value of the shares, due to supply and demand.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: gabeincal
Is it just MMD or some macro action now?

Edit- looks like MMD, so I just sold 137 shares and bought (5) 20 Jan 2023 900 strike LEAPS because, well, I dunno, sometimes I just feel like I should do a little something, even if it doesn't amount to much. Just missed the point of the falling knife by "this much", which is close enough for me.

This is fun. Too bad I didn't have this when I was young. Gotta find a way to make the world a little better place with it now somehow.

Last edited:
Is it just MMD or some macro action now?

Check out NIO, XPEV, LI. All three are down significantly on huge volumes.

TSLA seems slightly affected by this as well, but not nearly as severely. Macros are also down a tad since open.

EDIT: Looks like there might be a further rotation away from growth/tech into stocks that benefit from vaccines. AAPL/NVDA/AMD down (but not ZM), and CCL up 12%, AAL up 8%.

The only thing that I have really absolutely no explanation for is NKLA up 7.5% :confused:

Last edited:
Build and underground parking lot accessed by a boring tunnel.

This way all you would need is a small access point for a huge amount of parking in the most valuable real estate of any city.

The twisted thing about the economics of an EV is that it's actually much cheaper to drive around city streets aimlessly than to park the car in one of those crappy pay lots.

I'm not able to visualize anyone selling unless they are a fund that has strict rules about prohibiting any stock from being too high a percentage.
I can't even see the sense of MM's trying to cap it at all. Last week when the Inclusion Announcement caught the MM's off guard I could see how the MM's would make more money controlling the SP for Friday close. But then they a week's notice to not write any calls for the next month.
And yet here it is 15+ million shares traded in the first hour. I wonder what those shares will be worth in a month? Why give em up?

Reactions: Queeg500
Agreed. Not sure how that's possible but it is what he said. He looked tired in the video and it was 2am.
Elon said that's the waaaaaaay long term goal (at the cell level, it's way higher at car/pack level), in the context of comparing energy density of batteries versus diesel/gasoline IMO.

So I think he means by 2035-2040.