Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a tornado watch til 7 in Philly, you know.....because it's just your normal November 30th summer thunderstorm. The line of storms just blew through and literally almost exploded the north half of the city where I am, just as the S&P announcement hit. Never felt thunder shake my house like this ever. Run for your lives shorts!

Edit:

Did your foundation almost just crumble with this thunder & lightning? I'm in Kensington and my whole house shook for 5 full seconds. Crazy.
Not so much here, but I heard it off in the distance. Buckets of rain earlier though, sump pumps getting a workout, almost like the TSLA volume after hours ;)

Please replace Exxon... Please replace Exxon...Please replace Exxon...
upload_2020-11-30_16-51-11.jpeg

The have until Dec 18th to complete their buying. Dec 18th could be a nothing-burger if the index funds have bought up all the shares they needed to. But if some of them wait to try and get a lower price until the last min.......Dec 18th could be incredibly volatile.

Sounds like it could be a pretty smooth event as long as no managers are in a rush or take to long.

There are conflicting opinions on this. Personally, I fall into the camp that believes that Index funds are limited to buying within three business days of the inclusion date. Source, SPY prospectus:

"Specifically, the Trustee is required to adjust the composition of the Portfolio whenever there is a change in the identity of any Index Security (i.e., a substitution of one security for another) within three (3) Business Days before or after the day on which the change is scheduled to take effect."

Furthermore, why would an index fund buy early? Their purpose is to simply track the index, not beat it. They should be agnostic to the share price, and could be placing their jobs in jeopardy by purchasing outside the days surrounding the inclusion date.

In other words, I think all of this run-up can be attributed to speculators, benchmarked funds, and others hoping to dump shares to index funds at as high of a price as possible.

Was just thinking the hassle of trying to accumulate enough all on one day or a couple of days. Maybe overthinking it.

Would we have any clues that they already have started? I assume the investment firms would be buying with free cash then selling them to own funds on the 18th. Otherwise the funds would have assets not part of the portfolio.

I personally do not think there's been any index fund buying yet. While volume has improved from the incredibly low volume of late Sept and all of Oct, it still hasn't been that high since S&P announced inclusion. I think the moves so far has all been investors piling back into the stock.

We have a tornado watch til 7 in Philly, you know.....because it's just your normal November 30th summer thunderstorm. The line of storms just blew through and literally almost exploded the north half of the city where I am, just as the S&P announcement hit. Never felt thunder shake my house like this ever. Run for your lives shorts!

Edit:

Did your foundation almost just crumble with this thunder & lightning? I'm in Kensington and my whole house shook for 5 full seconds. Crazy.
francis, you live in Kessington?!? the same Kessington that I have seen youtube videos of the ghettos? People trying to sleep while not laying down? heroin/fentanyl Kessington? What did you do with all your film acting money?
I am glad you somehow manage to get some TSLA man!

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11
I personally do not think there's been any index fund buying yet. While volume has improved from the incredibly low volume of late Sept and all of Oct, it still hasn't been that high since S&P announced inclusion. I think the moves so far has all been investors piling back into the stock.
I'm trying my best to keep a rational view of things and skewing toward skepticism......but yeah, I agree. The volume looks about the same it's been for a while except for a few pops. I just don't see why funds would be buying yet, it doesn't make sense in the grand scheme of how this is supposed to work. Inclusion is December 21st, today was November 30th.

The have until Dec 18th to complete their buying. Dec 18th could be a nothing-burger if the index funds have bought up all the shares they needed to. But if some of them wait to try and get a lower price until the last min.......Dec 18th could be incredibly volatile.

Gary did lookup the last big addition to theSP500 which was FB and he did mention that the bulk of the buying was on the last day.

Given the liquidity concerns, Dec-18 might be a bit lower compared to the FB last day %, but I think it will still be the biggest volume day of the inclusion period

https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1329082599755501568
https://twitter.com/garyblack00/status/1329060291045371915
upload_2020-11-30_17-6-13.png