Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
GM paying dealers to straight up close, to advance their EV sales, is the thing has moved me from "0% chance of not going bankrupt" to "hey, 1% chance of not going bankrupt!". Like they have so so much to do still, but it is a signal that some part of their team sees some of the writing on the wall. And surely they are secretly envious of Tesla's direct-to-consumer approach?
As I recall it, all the legacy OEM’s would love to get around the dealers in the US, but the franchise laws protect the dealership model in the US. In Germany for example, the OEM’s do own their own showrooms.

Were I to offer advice to the GM dealers I’d say hold onto those Cadillac rights. If GM could shake every dealer off Cadillac and sell Caddies directly, they could let all their other brands rot on the dealership vine. In fact, GM may offer more in the future, so it might make sense for dealerships to buy up adjacent franchises. But then again, I don’t offer advice. ;)

Oh look! GM caterpillar turns into a butterfly and survives. Not very likely, but there might be a path there if you twist your head and look at it funny. o_O

Again - cannot vouch for the accuracy of this data. But gamma is the increase in delta hedging needed pr move in the underlying (tsla).

I read the chart as showing the increase in shares needed to be bought to be delta hedged as the stock increases in price. (It doesn't make sense if Y axis is $ amount, as that seems way too low of an amount)

@ReflexFunds has done thorough work on the subject of delta hedging and its effect on TSLA.

Got it - now I'm following. Thank you.

Reactions: capster and JBRR
Today for the first time, I saw my account hit an important milestone. I am pretty certain this has happened once before on the Monday after the stock dividend/stock split, but Fidelity took 3 days for the changes to reflect in the account - so I never saw this beautiful number pop up.

Of course, currently my account is quite heavy on options, which are going up fast, hence this high number. But all my financial decisions, which have been life-changing to my family, have been all thanks to discovering this group. Many many thanks to you all!

View attachment 615384

How many contracts do you have going?

I am stunned at the SP rise we are seeing with this volume.

Volume is average. Price rise certainly is not.

Scarcity of shares for sale... isn't that most of the explanation? Isn't it correct to say that what we are witnessing here, and have been witnessing since this summer, is the much fabled short squeeze that so many people were saying would never come to pass?

A year ago, if someone offered me $3K (pre split) a share for all my TSLA, I would have done it w/o hesitation. Now it seems crazy to sell at that amount given all the Tesla momentum. What a difference a year makes.
It's amazing what watching a year of excellent execution and a year of watching competitors trip over their own feet can do.

Scarcity of shares for sale... isn't that most of the explanation? Isn't it correct to say that what we are witnessing here, and have been witnessing since this summer, is the much fabled short squeeze that so many people were saying would never come to pass?
But #demandinNorway though :) ... only time will tell if this is a short squeeze or not but i think we can all agree we like our chances :)

ARK's Jan 2020 model had a bull prediction of $15K pre-split. The numbers in my post were already adjusted to the current post-split numbers. FWIW, with Gene Munster stating $2,500 by the end of 2023 that puts him right there with ARK's 2024 bull scenario ($15,000 pre-split, $3,000 post-split).

Thank you for the follow up to my post and the break down of the numbers, Like i said, its hard to keep track of past projections with the 5:1 split and how fast the stock price is going up. :oops:

@Christine600 : thanks for the followup with the 'disagree' of my post. I was confused :oops:

I am stunned at the SP rise we are seeing with this volume.

Volume is average. Price rise certainly is not.

Yep this is just unreal. IV is still not at dangerous levels and low volumes so you have to think there is much more room to run.

I’ll be looking to sell some covered calls if IV is greater than 120.

https://twitter.com/truth_tesla/status/1335613784669495309
Factchecking asking who the sellers are going to be next week.

Hell I don't understand who the sellers are this week.

My expectation was relatively flat for the week since front runners already had time to front run, and we don't get the last S&P pro forma details till later, and (nearly) no passive index funds can buy till next week... so didn't seem much reason for anybody to be doing much selling OR buying until next week.

Yet here we are up ~40 bucks a share since open.

This is a bloody good point!

Restrictions on Tesla service centers are infuriating. It’s unbelievable that Tesla is banned from operating service centers in several states. Fortunately that doesn’t seem to be an issue in Texas.
Just by the skin of our teeth. There was a law proposed last session to stop service. It was defeated by the Tesla Owner's Club members, but no doubt there will be another push this year.