Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Tesla was selling tranche at 650.

Would make sense. Sell ten percent every twenty or thirty points.

That should take us to about oh, 850 or so by the 18th.

Works for me.

BTW, WHAT A SPECTACULAR DAY!

I have this board to thank for steadying me on the SP drop in the AM. Wanted to buy more after subduing the flashbacks of the last raise, but bought with conviction due to this board.

Thank you.

I wonder how people today determine x sold orders are manipulation, and y sold orders are MM trying to cap gains.
It's really a warped way of looking at sell orders as they are all from shorts, big oil, MM, evil doers, and menace of society. I'm like..chill guys...it's probably just Tesla doing the selling.

Somewhat OT: Hey, thanks to the folks on this board, I recently set up a Line of Credit on e*Trade. I thought I read that payments were not required and unpaid interest would be added to the unpaid balance. Yet e*Trade states payments are required (however they also give you the option of adding the interest to the unpaid balance, kinda confusing).

My question is, if you do have to make payments, how much are they? A percentage of the unpaid balance ala a credit card or some other fixed amount. e*Trade is mum on the subject and I don't really want to call them (spent too much time on the phone with Costco lately).

Any help will be appreciated!

The product is really confusing but you don't have to pay. (At least, I haven't had to pay for the 5 months+ I've had a drawn line. Interest just accumulates and your debit balance increases.)

Not a lot of the reps know much about it either so it does take a few tries to get some good answers.

• Helpful
Reactions: UCF3
One market dynamic I don't have even the start of a mental model, is this idea of a fight for a price level here in the middle of the week. If it were Friday, and looking at the max pain charts, then market makers keeping the shares under 650 going into close makes a ton of sense to me.

But today - keeping it below seems like wasted energy as there are still 3 more days of trading before a pin price can be identified. It might be 750 by Friday the way things are going, making any efforts to sell the stock and control the price today a .. futile / wasted effort.

That's ok - I don't need to get it.
Today's close is the start of the freeze period, as per Artful Dodger. But I don't know why was it important to have it below $650. I see that SP was above $650 at both 3:49:41PM and at 4:00:11PM, but not in-between.

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable
>> The freeze period begins after the market close on the Tuesday prior to the second Friday of each rebalancing month.

Volume during the final 4 seconds was half a million shares traded.
upload_2020-12-8_16-19-36.png

This never works out.

About time I look for a new duplex. Think he'll share it with me?

At these Tesla stock prices along with the huge bubble of the macros I believe day trading or holding is the way to go because Tesla stock has an equal chance of going up as down in price. To make money day trading you have to have the right company along with lots of spare time. The black swan of a day trader is buying without pausing as it drops and meanders to ZERO. The key is small buys and sells at about 1% intervals. If it's going to far in one direction stop and hold until the next day and then continue again. If it goes up and you have sold everything buy at any price preferable after a dip from almost any price. Put a limit sell at 1% higher and another buy 1% lower. Any how day trading has worked for me. I went from $15,000 in March to almost $61,000 now. If it drops I lose nothing because after today I only own 4 shares.

• Informative
Reactions: Tslynk67
Today's close is the start of the freeze period, as per Artful Dodger. But I don't know why was it important to have it below $650. I see that SP was above $650 at both 3:49:41PM and at 4:00:11PM, but not in-between.

>> The freeze period begins after the market close on the Tuesday prior to the second Friday of each rebalancing month.

View attachment 615737
I don't know that it was. That is a freeze of IWF and share counts, not share price.
  • During the share/IWF freeze period, shares and IWFs are not changed except for mandatory corporate action events
Note: IWF = "Investable Weight Factor"
SN8 is fueling....

At these Tesla stock prices along with the huge bubble of the macros I believe day trading or holding is the way to go because Tesla stock has an equal chance of going up as down in price. To make money day trading you have to have the right company along with lots of spare time. The black swan of a day trader is buying without pausing as it drops and meanders to ZERO. The key is small buys and sells at about 1% intervals. If it's going to far in one direction stop and hold until the next day and then continue again. If it goes up and you have sold everything buy at any price preferable after a dip from almost any price. Put a limit sell at 1% higher and another buy 1% lower. Any how day trading has worked for me. I went from $15,000 in March to almost $61,000 now. If it drops I lose nothing because after today I only own 4 shares.

Tesla has gone up 4.6X since March 2nd (first day of trading in March)

If you had simply bought TSLA and held, that 15k would be about 69k right now.

View attachment 615737
So, this was not Tesla selling.
I had already begun to feel smug with the idea that this was Tesla being my Lord and Master. And what they felt like doing was fine.
So explain this "freeze period" again?

For 5 years (2014-2019) it made some small gains and some dips as we all rode the roller coaster, then suddenly in the last year or so it exploded, so much that now I gained more money from TSLA in a year -- not moving a finger, than I made from selling my 20-years of hard work accomplishment. Now that part feels weird... Somehow it puts my self-worth into question.

My calcs say you are worth a lot.

When Tesla was at $400 a share I owned as many as 70 shares. Even at that price I was still 50% cash and that felt like too much. Because I already owned too many shares I only made $20 per day trade. The day it went to $463 I sold EVERYTHING and was up $3000. I have been nibbling every day since then. Now my profits are $35 dollars a trade on average. I sell 5 shares every up $7 and buy five shares every down $7.

Some of my biggest misses in the market were not holding onto winning stocks many years ago, got scared out for some temporary things. NFLX was my first trade, how proud I was going from $30 to 36, I was an investing GOD! Apple from 98 to 112. Each of those companies would have taken my small little account to multi millionaire status. The internet is full of people full disclosing selling TSLA for profit missing this move.

My NFLX success and BIG F'N MISS, along with the same in Apple, are what propel me to stick with the plan and buy more!

The product is really confusing but you don't have to pay. (At least, I haven't had to pay for the 5 months+ I've had a drawn line. Interest just accumulates and your debit balance increases.)

Not a lot of the reps know much about it either so it does take a few tries to get some good answers.
Thanks mate! I trust you more than them. Yeah, the FAQ"s say contradictory things...

Reactions: CLK350
Congrats to all the longs! This is indeed a crazy ride that leaves me with some mixed feelings.
Let me explain: When I came out of University, I founded a small company doing research software development for the pharmaceutical industry (rational drug design, molecular modelling). I worked hard for 20 years in that company and finally sold it to a larger firm in 2014, making a decent chunk of money from the sale. I felt good about that, bought some real estate, a Model S and put a small portion of the money into my RRSP (as much was the limit since it is a tax-free account) and invested most of it in TSLA. For 5 years (2014-2019) it made some small gains and some dips as we all rode the roller coaster, then suddenly in the last year or so it exploded, so much that now I gained more money from TSLA in a year -- not moving a finger, than I made from selling my 20-years of hard work accomplishment. Now that part feels weird... Somehow it puts my self-worth into question.

I can relate to this. Today my first stock purchase from 2013 became an official 100-bagger. Even though I have a high salary job and even though I didn't invest a boatload of money in that first tranche in February 2013 that money has now grown in to more than I could earn working very hard for 10 years or more. I honestly don't know how I feel about that. It's not luck, I do take pride in having understood Tesla early on and having had the cool to keep holding. But the way in which one can grow capital that quickly just holding an equity seems fundamentally wrong to me. I can't quite reconcile it.

SP in March was between $105ish - $150ish. Let’s say you’re timing really sucks the banana and you bought $15,000 TSLA shares at $150 you’d have had 100 shares in hand.

Today those shares would be worth $65,000.

In conclusion, you’d have more money for a whole lot less work. But that’s okay, I understand some people need to do it the hard way. I wish you continued good luck and good fortune.