Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my problem with the "wouldn't mind losing some shares" line of thinking. I think I am willing to part with shares for $1000 this month. I don't expect the stock to stay at those heights for long. So I picture it squeezing over $1000 on or about the 18th and then falling back to $700 or a similar lower range the following week.

But what if the price shoots up like that and the option isn't exercised? I would want to sell a block of 100 shares then, while the price is temporarily still that high. But then what if it IS exercised just after I sell my 100? I don't want to lose 200 shares at that price! I have a higher target for the next block! Or what if there is a "slow and steady" rise to $1000 and it doesn't look like a squeeze after all, and I decide to hang on instead of selling in anticipation of a drop?

Bottom line I feel like the "I'm willing to part with shares at that price" doesn't play that well with selling calls to make the transaction if there's the chance it will take a short-term squeeze to get there. I don't think the $770 premium for a Dec-24-$1000 call is worth all that juggling on a $100K transaction.

It would be easier if I was willing to part with shares at $700 -- but I'm not. :)
I only have $60,000 in my Ameritrade account. I don't trust the stock market right now so I have been day trading Tesla stock waiting for the Macros to have some sort of crash so I can get back into buying some deep in the money leap options.

I only have $60,000 in my Ameritrade account. I don't trust the stock market right now so I have been day trading Tesla stock waiting for the Macros to have some sort of crash so I can get back into buying some deep in the money leap options.
This never works out.
Elon just confirmed, point blank, that he moved to Texas personally.
About time I look for a new duplex. Think he'll share it with me?

Congrats to all the longs! This is indeed a crazy ride that leaves me with some mixed feelings.
Let me explain: When I came out of University, I founded a small company doing research software development for the pharmaceutical industry (rational drug design, molecular modelling). I worked hard for 20 years in that company and finally sold it to a larger firm in 2014, making a decent chunk of money from the sale. I felt good about that, bought some real estate, a Model S and put a small portion of the money into my RRSP (as much was the limit since it is a tax-free account) and invested most of it in TSLA. For 5 years (2014-2019) it made some small gains and some dips as we all rode the roller coaster, then suddenly in the last year or so it exploded, so much that now I gained more money from TSLA in a year -- not moving a finger, than I made from selling my 20-years of hard work accomplishment. Now that part feels weird... Somehow it puts my self-worth into question.

Hey, Bob, did it ever occur to you that the former might be explained by the latter? :cool:

Congrats to all the longs! This is indeed a crazy ride that leaves me with some mixed feelings.
Let me explain: When I came out of University, I founded a small company doing research software development for the pharmaceutical industry (rational drug design, molecular modelling). I worked hard for 20 years in that company and finally sold it to a larger firm in 2014, making a decent chunk of money from the sale. I felt good about that, bought some real estate, a Model S and put a small portion of the money into my RRSP (as much was the limit since it is a tax-free account) and invested most of it in TSLA. For 5 years (2014-2019) it made some small gains and some dips as we all rode the roller coaster, then suddenly in the last year or so it exploded, so much that now I gained more money from TSLA in a year -- not moving a finger, than I made from selling my 20-years of hard work accomplishment. Now that part feels weird... Somehow it puts my self-worth into question.

And this is why people should love what they do for work.

What would you be willing to pay (in TSLA shares) for therapy? ;)

Seriously, take time to reevaluate and plan for a new and improved future. Remember, you made the choice to buy TSLA, you're a pretty smart individual. No reason to feel anything but joy for making a good decision.

Remember it was working hard that gave you the ability to invest money and slowly your acquirance of “ life”knowledge to invest in Tesla. Your smart so you can read the writing on the wall. Others can’t......Take suspender poppin’ gordo for example.

Somewhat OT: Hey, thanks to the folks on this board, I recently set up a Line of Credit on e*Trade. I thought I read that payments were not required and unpaid interest would be added to the unpaid balance. Yet e*Trade states payments are required (however they also give you the option of adding the interest to the unpaid balance, kinda confusing).

My question is, if you do have to make payments, how much are they? A percentage of the unpaid balance ala a credit card or some other fixed amount. e*Trade is mum on the subject and I don't really want to call them (spent too much time on the phone with Costco lately).

Any help will be appreciated!

• Helpful
Reactions: GOVA
so much that now I gained more money from TSLA in a year -- not moving a finger, than I made from selling my 20-years of hard work accomplishment. Now that part feels weird... Somehow it puts my self-worth into question.
A thought. I like to visualize money for what it really represents, labor. Let's say your job was collecting walnuts, and every week you sold/ate 90% of what you collected in order to survive and you planted the remaining 10%. After 20 years you have an entire grove of walnut trees, so each day you can easily collect more walnuts than you could eat in a year. This doesn't diminish all the hard work you put in to harvest those nuts over the years at all.

I don't think that's how this works. That's not how any of this works...

Last edited:
My question is, if you do have to make payments, how much are they? A percentage of the unpaid balance ala a credit card or some other fixed amount. e*Trade is mum on the subject and I don't really want to call them (spent too much time on the phone with Costco lately).

As far as I know your minimum "required" payment is just the interest charge.

And you don't have to call them. You can just use the chat, works really well for me.

Watching on CNBC the CEO of BLINK ticker blnk stock up 1411% this year. Here is a company that is making charging stations with HUGE losses and very little income, under a million a quarter. The Walmart near me has has six charging stations from Electrify America and I have almost never seen anybody charging there. I charge at home with my Tesla because it's cheaper. I only use charging stations when I travel. Other than charging at a hotel on the road I don't think I will ever have a use for anything but Tesla superchargers. Unless of course it was cheaper and convenient. Last I checked it would cost me $400 to buy an adaptor so I could charge at my favorite Walmart.

Blink just received the exclusivity for Burger King parking lots for I don't know how many years. The CEO claims he has rights for up to 20 years in some parking lots. This means if there is demand they can add charging stations but NOBODY else can in that particular parking lot. I understand why the stock is up 1411% this year. It makes sense to me.

A thought. I like to visualize money for what it really represents, labor. Let's say your job was collecting walnuts, and every week you sold/ate 90% of what you collected in order to survive and you planted the remaining 10%. After 20 years you have an entire grove of walnut trees, so each day you can easily collect more walnuts than you could eat in a year. This doesn't diminish all the hard work you put in to harvest those nuts over the years at all.

Kinda like we Tesla bulls have been harvesting Teslaq nuts money for the past decade. ;-)

No, no, no.....you are worth the hard work you put in....none of us are worth our trading account going up by a million $$ a week for just watching it.

My second job as a 14 year old was maintaining the property around a small strip mall; picking up garbage, shoveling snow and deicing sidewalks—nothing more humbling than doing menial labor while kids you know from high school watch you, point, laugh, until you get that monthly paycheck and you’re making over $11/hr way back in the day. To put that in perspective, a job I had at 20 in a factory only paid $6/hr. I got over the embarrassment real fast as a kid. Good life lesson.

Thanks for sharing. I'm starting to get the impression this forum has two distinctly different types of people:

1) Those who feel dirty or ashamed when they have to perform real work to make money.
2) Those who feel dirty or ashamed when they don't have to perform real work to make money.

Last edited: