Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Elon has a dog?
Edit: Ah, it must be Marvin with him.

View attachment 616596

OT:

Caption: Elon searching for a 'Heart of Gold' - Dec 10, 2020

"Elon Musk Pays Tribute to 'Hitchhiker's Guide' With 'Heart of Gold' The name of the first Mars-bound SpaceX craft will be named The Heart of Gold, in honor of the spaceship commandeered by Zaphod Beeblebrox in Douglas Adams's mega-famous science fiction novel The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." - Sep 27, 2016

"Tesla stock falls after Jefferies downgrade: 'We don't believe in Tesla domination' "- intentionally NOT linked

I believe giphy.gif

Today is the calm before the storm...

I still don't understand that if everyone knows that the stock is going to pop next week, why anyone would sell a single share this week. It doesn't make any sense. Either the people selling this week are complete morons, or the expected pop is massively over hyped. Or there's something I don't understand and I'm the moron.

I think it's all about asset imbalance, asset being privileged information, cash, influence or access to tools like naked shorting. None of the retail investors have access to these assets, they do. And they use it as needed. The only thing I think we can do is to try to figure out where the ball is going to be and forget about the noise, unless it carries some signal.

What if they made the "light blue touch paper" a different color?

Ex-mod comment: There has been a lot of off-topic and in some cases acrimonious discussion of late, and the overworked remaining moderators getting lots of reports (I still see them, when I have time to look). If all'y'all don't start behaving better you might get Grumpy Greg back. Trust me, you don't want that, and neither do I. --ggr

How about people simply stop complaining to the Mods? That’d reduce the workload. Report a post when it’s clearly unsavory, otherwise get over it already. We self-moderated quite nicely when all the Mods took a well-deserved holiday.

All morning market forces seem to be more focused on holding $615 rather than $650. Who cares though. Market forces suck.

Well max pain chart showing more puts than calls at 620, reverse at 625.... so 620.01->624.99 close would be the range "they" want today. 650 seems way off the table (and avoids the call spikes showing at 630 and even bigger at 650)

Yet, why build a new steel plant? Some ideas come to mind:
  • possible Federal incentives (campaign issue for prev. Admin.)
  • tighter logistics (do plants in Port Arthur make stainless steel?)
  • control of product IP (this SS is Tesla/SpaceX 'secret sauce')
  • cost (typically Tesla cuts supply cost by 10% w. Vertical Integration)
All these items seem self-evident. IMO, Tesla should take out at least as much of a share of ownership in the new plant to have production security, and cover the proportion of product that this plant produces for Tesla. SpaceX will likely do the same.

Are there other customers? The News report stated the facility is also a plastics plant. Obviously, more products needed in large volumes by Tesla at Giga Austin.

Cheers!
This should be a lower margin business, so Tesla shouldn’t lower their return on investment with a purchase. A long term contract for supplies encourages the plant to scale up fast and like batteries, allow Tesla to be first in line for supplies.
I don’t know the mind of Elon though. If he thought he could reinvent steel production he’d probably buy in.

Legacy Car Companies Are Priced for Disappointment, Jefferies Says. Tesla Isn’t. — Barron's

How much worse can it get for legacy car makers? Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois says their stocks are “priced for disappointment”—even though most trade at single-digit price/earnings ratios.

Implicit in his report is the idea that EV technology is here to stay. That’s what investors seem to believe too, considering Tesla is now worth about $600 billion and is up almost 800% over the past year.

Legacy Car Companies Are Priced for Disappointment, Jefferies Says. Tesla Isn’t. — Barron's

How much worse can it get for legacy car makers? Jefferies analyst Philippe Houchois says their stocks are “priced for disappointment”—even though most trade at single-digit price/earnings ratios.

Implicit in his report is the idea that EV technology is here to stay. That’s what investors seem to believe too, considering Tesla is now worth about $600 billion and is up almost 800% over the past year.

#1 Thing I'm looking forward to in 2021..........the stupid comments of Tesla is up 500% or 700% or 800% this year will be gone. Sure Jefferies, just ignore that Tesla was range bound there for 5 years and was severely undervalued before it rallied higher. :rolleyes: