Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
did buffet every tell the world what they bought?

Looks like someone misread your typo (like I did - thought you said that buffett tells the world every time they bought something - like BYD).

You meant, "Did Buffett ever tell the world what they bought"? As of this moment, no.

A question I've seen come up a few times over the past few weeks, including here on TMC, is how will the upcoming index funds required holding of TSLA on an ongoing basis impact TSLA's price from a supply and demand perspective.

If we could isolate the increase in TSLA's share price due strictly to index buying in this period we are entering, will the indexes effectively pulling these shares off the market (as long as TSLA is in the S&P) equate to a decrease in supply that supports an underlying boost in the share price that will remain regardless of the other events that will move the stock price over time.

I think the answer to this question is yes and no, because we can theoretically think of, at the extremes, two markets for TSLA shares.

The first theoretical market is the one the indexes are the most extreme example of (along with Elon Musk). In this market, TSLA shares are a one-of-a-kind item for which there is not a substitute. These indexes will have to hold about 1.5% of their assets in TSLA. They can't own "the next Tesla," or an ETF of EV companies instead. For these index fund's, it's got to be TSLA. For Elon, and any theoretical '100% cultists' or '100% TSLA HODL buyers' it's the same. TSLA is strictly a market of TSLA, and 15% of TSLA stock being taken off the market is a 15% reduction in supply for the item they are in the market for.

The second theoretical market for TSLA, at the extreme, is those for whom TSLA is a commodity. For the investment/trading, portion of funds available to them, all their investment/trading options are basically commodity items. Whether using TA exclusively, or a mechanical, financial metric only valuation process, etc, they chose a stock w/out any attention to the people or business behind the ticker symbols. For this group, the S&P pulling 15% of TSLA off the market, is not removing 15% of the supply of the item they are in the market for... it's an infinitesimal reduction in the supply of the far larger commodity of all investment/trading options they have.

Of course, in reality, there's only one market for TSLA shares. Most people are probably a mix of the two theoretical extremes of viewing TSLA's market. There actually are TSLA shareholders who basically are in that first theoretical market, but, they are probably a small minority of TSLA shareholders (even if that's not the case on this thread), though about to grow by the index funds being forced into that group.

So, as I see it, yes, supply/demand is going to impact the TSLA price by the index buying, but, not to anything like the extent it would if the whole universe of potential TSLA buyers saw TSLA exclusively as the entire market of a one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable offering.

For me, figuring it out is easy. Here is the decision tree:

Do you need cash now?
--No. Then HODL Tesla shares.
--Yes. Then borrow cash and HODL Tesla shares.

I suspect that folks tempted to sell shares now are forgetting two facts:

1) This company is historic. There has never been anything like it, with a combination of...
  • genius, workaholic, polymath CEO
  • global braintrust of top-1% engineering talent
  • corporate mission and other incentives attracting more top talent
  • corporate culture driving rapid relentless innovation and improvements
  • multiple, huge, accelerating technology leads
  • vertical integration and talent/tech sharing with rocket geniuses
  • gargantuan addressable markets (global transportation and energy)
  • vast untapped or barely tapped market segments (robotaxis, trucking, solar roofs, virtual power-plants)
  • vast untapped or barely tapped market regions (China, India, South America, Middle East, Africa)
  • doubling product line in the next few years (Cybertruck, Semi, Roadster2, "world cars")
  • doubling (or more) production capacity in the next few years (Giga Shanghai, Berlin, Austin)
  • unlimited future opportunities for the engineering braintrust (home HVAC, air and underground transport, on Earth and Mars)
  • fanatical, evangelical, exponentially growing customer base
  • unprecedented social tailwinds (accelerating climate change, growing government incentives)
Bears scoff at the current stock price and the idea that it will 10x again. "That would be a $6 trillion market cap! When has that ever happened?!" Well, several times in history, adjusted for inflation. But Tesla is making history.

2) This stock has turned a corner. HODLers endured 5 years of price stagnation and some gut-wrenching drops. Some folks might be traumatized and think the stock is still risky. But TSLA's future will not be like the past, because...
  • major index inclusions are incoming (S&P 500 and 100)
  • bond rating upgrades are incoming (if the raters want to be taken seriously)
  • at least 15% of available shares are disappearing permanently into index funds
  • up to 22% of available shares are disappearing likely permanently into benchmarked funds
  • FUD will have no or little effect on those shareholders
  • clueless or dishonest analysts will have no or little effect on those shareholders
  • Tesla's "fortress balance sheet" now has $20 billion in cash
  • all bear theses (unprofitability, inexperience, no demand, competition) have been discredited except excessive valuation
  • this last bear thesis will be discredited by the imminent FSD rollout, blowout Q4 earnings, and new products and production capacity coming next year
  • Tesla is now sandbagging their guidance to consistently beat expectations
FUD and abusive analysts will continue, but clearly they are losing effect. Volatility may continue, but so will the upward trend. The global market is waking up to TSLA. Usually when picking a stock, you must choose between safety and huge potential. TSLA offers both, in my studied opinion.

So excited to see this part play out!

Robs' analysis is second to none!

I believe S&P inclusion will smooth volatility. A broader holding base should and tying significant shares to a base that can’t buy or sell would seem to reduce volatility. I could be wrong though, I’m sure there’s some detailed math that could document the impact.

Look at the outline provided by @ZeApelido a few posts back. I don't see how inclusion reduces volatility overall. It probably increases it but, in any case, it will still be far more volatile than the typical stock.:)

As the market cap of a company grows it will become somewhat less volatile (look at how volatile penny stocks are). But that is not really a direct function of S&P inclusion and we are still many years from TSLA having a beta of 1.

And don’t forget Cybertruck update this month

EM needs to start dropping update bombs today!
Wider FSD.
CT!
Another factory announcement!
China designed car.
Battery powdering success (or whatever process they were working on still)
Range updates
Charge updates
New CT glass display, allow visitors to throw!
Or even, he needs to buy more shares!

To be clear, what I was asking wasn't so much about volatility as it was about the effect of many, many more shares being held by entities that are more likely to hold rather than trade.

How will the ratio between HODLish and non-HODLish shareholders changing due to the listed factors affect things?

Or, are you saying there will be no affect due to the increased number of shareholders with an obligation to maintain specific levels of TSLA?

I explained in an earlier post that the reduced float of inclusion should have an upward pressure overall on the share price because the lower float self-selects those who don't value TSLA as much right out of the marketplace. The stock trades at whatever price the buyers and sellers find equilibrium at any given moment. Fewer shares being held by those with discretion naturally selects for those willing to value it the highest.

I'm not familiar with this guy at all, but an opinion on what Tesla should do in China. (TL:dr, move much faster).

https://twitter.com/DongyanWang8/status/1338326242513195008

He seems to have good intentions but perhaps he doesn't understand all the things he's talking about. I think some of those things Tesla is already doing and some are unrealistic. For example, you can't build a 25K Model 2 before you have more batteries and at a lower cost.

How do you accelerate something that you're already giving 100% on? I've never been a fan of those who say "step it up to 110%" because that's not possible (at least not in the way I use language). The real question is whether Tesla is already giving it 100% and I see no indication they are not.