Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As we're about to see a lull in this thread (maybe?) due to the holidays, I wanted to wish everyone here a happy holiday season. It's been a crazy year in TSLA (and Tesla, and of course the world at large). To put a capstone on things, here's a little look back at where we were heading into Christmas 2019 and some of what's happened since.
  • The stock price (split-adjusted) had recovered from a summer lull into the $30s (!), to a 'stratospheric' $85.05. In 2020, we've seen another 7.5x rise from there to today's $645 as I type.
  • COVID-19 was not a widely-recognized thing.
  • Giga Shanghai had yet to deliver its first vehicles (happened at the very end of December).
  • Giga Berlin had not yet broken ground.
  • Giga Austin was but a fleeting thought in Musk's mind.
  • The Model Y was months away from first deliveries.
  • Tesla had delivered approximately 900,000 vehicles in its history.
In 2020:
  • COVID-19 essentially shut down the world for a majority of the year, yet Tesla managed to grow considerably over the course of the year, proving capable of quickly adapting both production and deliveries to the new COVID reality.
  • Tesla approximately tripled (!) its cash/cash eq. from $6.3B exiting 2019 to $14.5B exiting Q3, and a guesstimated $19B-$20B exiting 2020.
  • The Model Y began deliveries (only 12 months post-unveiling) and has quickly grown to be a large portion of the fleet here in the US (I seem to see nearly as many Ys as 3s around these parts lately).
  • Tesla added more than 350 Supercharging locations (around 3,500 stalls) and greatly expanded the v3 footprint.
  • Giga Berlin has made quick progress, and initial production should happen in the first half of 2021.
  • Giga Austin has made similarly-quick progress, and initial production should happen in late 2021.
  • The Gigas have spawned an entire community of drone video producers, watchers, and analyzers. (Embarrassing the old parking lot truthers--try harder next time, folks!)
  • TSLA underwent a 5:1 stock split yet has a stock price about 1.5x the pre-split price entering the year ($645 vs $430).
  • Battery Day brought insight into Tesla's medium-term plans for improving battery cost, longevity, and energy density.
  • FSD entered semi-public beta.
  • TSLA was added to the S&P 500.
  • Tesla delivered approximately 500,000 vehicles this year, increasing its lifetime production count by ~55% and posting a YoY growth rate of ~36%. (Yes, this one is subject to revision in just over a week, but I think it's pretty clear that the end number will be within spitting distance of 500k.)
2021:
  • Tesla will have four fully-operational battle stations vehicle factories.
  • Tesla should increase deliveries over 2020 by hundreds of thousands of vehicles.
  • Tesla will produce its own batteries for a subset of its vehicles.
  • Model Y will spread beyond North America.
  • FSD will be released in some form for city streets.
  • The Plaid powertrain will begin deliveries.
  • The Semi will begin deliveries.
  • Cybertruck may begin deliveries.
  • Roadster may begin deliveries
This doesn't even get into the energy side of the business, and I'm sure I neglected to mention some significant items. In short, it's been a remarkably good year for Tesla, TSLA, Tesla enthusiasts, and TSLA shareholders during an extremely challenging time for a huge chunk of the world's population. Take some time to reflect on this past year, and to be thankful for the positive developments in which we've all taken part. And I would urge us all to consider ways in which we can give back to our communities at this time.

Here's to an interesting new year!

muskdance.jpg

Last edited:
Is it just me being wrong or are there some big dogs starting the window dressing or some MMs trying to cover their recent shorting ATM? I have no visibility on order books or any similar market data.
It's just a quiet week before a holiday, MMs can more easily push the SP around on low volume. I thought they'd havea tough time holding $700, but it looks like even expiring $650 weekly calls might be doable. Some stuff likely needs to be unraveled so there could be a pop well above $650, but it's 50/50 at this point.

Can't believe a bought short term calls that expire in a holiday week! So easy to push SP down and then let it spring back Monday. Rinse, repeat. At least I have some $640's bought at the lows to offload.

+1 to EOQ Deliveries. :cool:

I will say that I had been scheduled for a 24th delivery and got bumped up to the 22nd (though could have taken it on 21st, but had conflicting work). The delivery center was crawling with cars, mostly white model 3’s (plebeians). Oddly, I didn’t notice any model Y’s. May just be a timing thing as I saw one on the road close by.

The delivery center personnel were polite and helpful and not frantic. During conversation I learned that they actually are closing on time around 5, so as of yet there isn’t the EOY/EOQ shuffle to get as many cars into owners hands whilst racing against the clock. I saw maybe 8 or so workers there, one a brand new hire so maybe that’s why?

My car was beautiful, and drove fine. I did see one small chip of paint near the passenger side taillight, that’s down to the metal, but as I’m getting it wrapped I don’t care. The other imperfections were small enough for me not to notice at +/- 2ft, so they don’t exist.

Bad: my driver side repeater camera is not working. Dunno why. Just doesn’t show up. I’ll hard reset the car to see if it fixes, otherwise I will schedule a service tech to come check it out. Maybe it’s just not plugged in? Who knows.

upload_2020-12-23_8-7-26.jpeg

The recent Market Cap climb and the significantly improved profits will bring increased CEO Award expense in Q4 for tranches 5, 6 & 7.
Some will see increased expense as bad news....but of course it's not. If Elon was not hitting his CEO Award milestones, we would all be poorer.
see my analysis here:
Near-future quarterly financial projections
Geniuses in TSLAQ is executing a master plan to make Elon hit so many tranches in one quarter, so the company could be “losing money” again.

Thanks for the 'shout out'. I hope others got into QS as well even though it is struggling today in the $;)115 range. A battery company with JB involved, even as only an advisor looked good to me. never mind the other big names backing it.
+1 to EOQ Deliveries. :cool:

I will say that I had been scheduled for a 24th delivery and got bumped up to the 22nd (though could have taken it on 21st, but had conflicting work). The delivery center was crawling with cars, mostly white model 3’s (plebeians). Oddly, I didn’t notice any model Y’s. May just be a timing thing as I saw one on the road close by.

The delivery center personnel were polite and helpful and not frantic. During conversation I learned that they actually are closing on time around 5, so as of yet there isn’t the EOY/EOQ shuffle to get as many cars into owners hands whilst racing against the clock. I saw maybe 8 or so workers there, one a brand new hire so maybe that’s why?

My car was beautiful, and drove fine. I did see one small chip of paint near the passenger side taillight, that’s down to the metal, but as I’m getting it wrapped I don’t care. The other imperfections were small enough for me not to notice at +/- 2ft, so they don’t exist.

Bad: my driver side repeater camera is not working. Dunno why. Just doesn’t show up. I’ll hard reset the car to see if it fixes, otherwise I will schedule a service tech to come check it out. Maybe it’s just not plugged in? Who knows.

View attachment 620484

seeing the palm trees makes me miss Oahu.

Congratulations on your new S. Do they still deliver them from the rooftop of the Service centre location on Kalakaua ?

Last edited:
ID3 has issues with the way the ac works. Norwegian customers is told to wait for a upgrade that will arrive in q1 2021. They have to go to a service center to install it.

We have to assume that VAG got an Model S way back in 2012/2013 and disassembled it. Makes it so hard to understand why they bring something the require to be brought to a service center for upgrade to market 8 years later.

So hold your breath folks, competition is coming:confused:

Tek.no - Tester, guider, teknologi

ID3 has issues with the way the ac works. Norwegian customers is told to wait for a upgrade that will arrive in q1 2021. They have to go to a service center to install it.

We have to assume that VAG got an Model S way back in 2012/2013 and disassembled it. Makes it so hard to understand why they bring something the require to be brought to a service center for upgrade to market 8 years later.

So hold your breath folks, competition is coming:confused:

Tek.no - Tester, guider, teknologi
Posted this a while ago...imagine needing an update and having to make an appt to bring it in to your service center. "Hello....sure we can schedule an appt for you to do an update...currently we have 12,937 people ahead of you, so we can fit you in, say 10 months from now?"