Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Option Traders Are Dumping Massive Amounts Of Calls
  • At 9:30 a.m. ET, a trader sold 310 Tesla call options with a $260 strike price expiring on Sep. 17. The contracts were sold at the bid price of $500 and represented a $15.5 million bearish bet.
  • At 11:31 a.m. ET, a trader sold 921 Tesla call options with a $1,400 strike price expiring in Jan. 2022. The contracts were sold near the bid price at $100 and represented a $9.21 million bearish bet.
  • At 11:33 a.m. ET, a trader sold 798 Tesla call options with an $850 strike price expiring on Jun. 18. The contracts were sold at the bid price of $117.46 and represented a $9.37 million bearish bet.
  • Less than a minute later, a trader sold 798 Tesla call options with a $700 strike price expiring on Mar. 19. The contracts were sold at the bid price of $130.38 and represented a $10.4 million bearish bet.

• At 9:30 a.m. ET, a trader sold 310 Tesla call options with a $260 strike price expiring on Sep. 17. The contracts were sold at the bid price of $500 and represented a $15.5 million bearish bet.
  • At 11:31 a.m. ET, a trader sold 921 Tesla call options with a $1,400 strike price expiring in Jan. 2022. The contracts were sold near the bid price at $100 and represented a $9.21 million bearish bet.
  • At 11:33 a.m. ET, a trader sold 798 Tesla call options with an $850 strike price expiring on Jun. 18. The contracts were sold at the bid price of $117.46 and represented a $9.37 million bearish bet.
  • Less than a minute later, a trader sold 798 Tesla call options with a $700 strike price expiring on Mar. 19. The contracts were sold at the bid price of $130.38 and represented a $10.4 million bearish bet.
The last 2 were me. Initially was trying to get 800 of each but ran out of money.

There was a buyer for each one of those trades too. Just sayin..

Look at the bright side. Green for, is it, nine days now? Going up less makes it likelier to be a tenth.

And more importantly it has stayed green in after-hours trading. I seem to recall that normally after a decent green day it would go down in AH trading. That leads me to believe that someone is in accumulation mode and is taking advantage of any weak holders selling during all trading hours. They, or their algorithm, aren't taking any time off.

Last edited:
And more importantly it has stayed green in after-hours trading. I seem to recall that normally after a decent green day it would go down in AH trading. That leads me to believe that someone is in accumulation mode and is taking advantage of any weak holders selling during all trading hours, they, or their algorithm, is taking any time off.

My 0.02, but I wonder if we have entered a new dynamic in regards to TSLA share price. The people that were previously vested to suppress the stock no longer (mostly) have that desire. They report to overlords that want the S&P to go up and enrich their clients. And much as they hate it, TSLA is now part of that enrichment.

Sure, there are still the shorts . . . but they are looking more and more isolated every day.

My 0.02, but I wonder if we have entered a new dynamic in regards to TSLA share price. The people that were previously vested to suppress the stock no longer (mostly) have that desire. They report to overlords that want the S&P to go up and enrich their clients. And much as they hate it, TSLA is now part of that enrichment.

Sure, there are still the shorts . . . but they are looking more and more isolated every day.
Makes sense. Plus a lot of the short term traders have unwound their positions, leaving so many outstanding shares with funds who can't sell and many of us HODLers who are not going to sell.

These events were quite predictable, it's a long read but so far things are playing out as described
The Archetypical Cycle of Internal Order and Disorder

What is baffling is that the stock market is mostly ignoring the shenanigans and just keeps going. It is to a degree predictable as an outcome of the inflationary monetary policy, but I just can't get to terms with an idea that that's all there is to it.

This "insensitivity" of the stock market to the events on the ground can be interpreted as a sign that the system lost the necessary elasticity and the ability to price in events, and is driven into a corner where the rules of the game are very different.

Maybe my emotions are getting the better of me but today is a day when core democratic process got disrupted yet my investment account shows gains amounting to about my yearly income. There are 2 ways I can make sense of this: either this is truly a non-event economically and everything will be business as usual from here on and democrats will have a 4-year run. Or as I said above, the system no longer works like it used to and we need to understand the new rules to be able to have agency in the situation. I hope it is the former, at least for now.

Tactically, TSLA is positively influenced by
- all the money that was on stand-by from S&P500 benchmarked funds
- the expectation that the new green deal will benefit Tesla
- great news/rumors about margins on made in China cars
- Analyst upgrades

Is it worth 12% price gain in the last 5 days with the current political uncertainty also being priced in? The "stolen election" narrative is not going away, and there's now a much heightened state of animosity among the polarized.

Personally I feel I'm somewhat diversified now and my BTC gains and other non-US correlated assets are pretty substantial and make sense to me. TSLA and any other US-based asset gains look suspect to me. I'm not going to sell off real estate linked assets but I'm very tempted to trim at least my last remaining leveraged TSLA positions (70 strike price calls from way back), and trim down a bit the TSLA position in my retirement account, which is still too overweight in TSLA anyway.

I can't really pretend to understand the market and how it's responding to current events, but...

The TSLA I know and love should end the week at $749, given the gigantic pile of $750 calls that's been mentioned here. Do "they" still have the power to make it close at a convenient number like that? Or is it a Brave New World post-inclusion where that kind of end-of-week drop and Monday jump doesn't happen any more?

I'm surprised at the giant leap yesterday after hours, I'm surprise that yesterday's after hours bump held up this morning, I'm surprised that it held up so well in the chaos this afternoon, and I'm surprised that it's up today after hours. Does this week have one more surprise left?