Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ll buy it from you. Oh wait, there’s probably thousands here who will buy it...and your shares.
Like new! Never been washed!

Edit: I actually think I'm going to give it to my mom. She recently converted from skeptic to shareholder to fanatic. She'll have the only Tesla blanket in the senior living center no doubt.

The only thing I understand is STONKS only go up!! :) This pullback was due...might even dip more, but we all know the outcome...it's just a matter of time.

I went with Like, but taken seriously, this is a dangerous point of view for an investor. In our lifetime, we barely need a decade to find a time where stocks didn't just go up.

In fact they went down so much I was able to find a 10% nearly guaranteed dividend because an excellent company was on such a fire sale. The dynamic here (why should a good company like TSLA go down even if the stock market overall is tanking?), or at least 1 component, is that anybody on margin in a general downturn will find some combination of leveraged downside on their position. As the margin calls start rolling in, something / anything needs to be sold to meet the margin call. As the account gets closer and closer to 0 value, the need to sell everything grows. When those margin calls arise, one way of satisfying those calls is to sell something that isn't falling off the cliff - such as TSLA.

I agree that it's a matter of time. But what if that time window is a decade? Think 1930s - I at least need to go into the history books, so I only know about it second hand; my mom and dad (they didn't particularly talk about it), my father-in-law (needed some prompting). It's happened before, and will happen again. But when?

For those in an open ended growth situation, with an investment hypothesis that extends to 2030 or beyond, then just hold and wait is a great approach (MHO) - it's what has worked so well for me. Oh - and no margin - margin provides leverage going up; it also provides leverage going down. A big 'down' (50%? depends on how much margin you're using) and you can find that it's all gone.

Ok. How did you guys know the 804 bottom? Was it one of those situations where that was just above the uptick rule amount? I set a buy order earlier in the day at 804. I was out teaching my kid to ski and my phone was blowing up. Eventually I checked it and I saw I purchased a bunch and the market price was ten points higher. Great success! Thank you! :)

40F82031-2B74-476A-8F7A-B9AC04589F1F.jpeg

I went with Like, but taken seriously, this is a dangerous point of view for an investor. In our lifetime, we barely need a decade to find a time where stocks didn't just go up.

In fact they went down so much I was able to find a 10% nearly guaranteed dividend because an excellent company was on such a fire sale. The dynamic here (why should a good company like TSLA go down even if the stock market overall is tanking?), or at least 1 component, is that anybody on margin in a general downturn will find some combination of leveraged downside on their position. As the margin calls start rolling in, something / anything needs to be sold to meet the margin call. As the account gets closer and closer to 0 value, the need to sell everything grows. When those margin calls arise, one way of satisfying those calls is to sell something that isn't falling off the cliff - such as TSLA.

I agree that it's a matter of time. But what if that time window is a decade? Think 1930s - I at least need to go into the history books, so I only know about it second hand; my mom and dad (they didn't particularly talk about it), my father-in-law (needed some prompting). It's happened before, and will happen again. But when?

For those in an open ended growth situation, with an investment hypothesis that extends to 2030 or beyond, then just hold and wait is a great approach (MHO) - it's what has worked so well for me. Oh - and no margin - margin provides leverage going up; it also provides leverage going down. A big 'down' (50%? depends on how much margin you're using) and you can find that it's all gone.
I forgot to put my disclaimer: My posts are not financial advice :)

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11
TSLA $811.19 -$68.83 -7.8%

Third highest closing price. :cool:

Streak ends for 11 consecutive up days that gained 37.4%.

Wall Street needed a dip, so funds could buy more cheaply.

If TSLA had closed where it finished in evening after-hours trading, that would have been the second highest closing price, topped only by that of Friday.

After-action Report: Mon, Jan 11, 2021: (Full Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Fades amidst Market Uncertainty"

Traded: $48,987,621,379.94 ($48.99B)
Volume: 58,847,028
VWAP: $832.46

Close: $811.19 / VWAP: 97.35%
TSLA closed BELOW today's Avg SP
TSLA MaxPain (7:00 A.M.): $440 (+$40 from Fri)

TSLA S&P 500 Weight: 2.068898% (Jan 08)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / FB $768.928B / $731.555B = 105.11%
Note: Yahoo Finance yet to update TSLA Mkt Cap re shares issued Dec 11th (SEC Filing)
CEO Comp. Status: (est'd Mkt Cap including Dec 11th shares)

TSLA 30-day Closing Avg Market Cap: $669.25B
TSLA 6-mth Closing Avg Market Cap: $434.13B

Mkt Cap req'd for 7th tranche ($400B) likely achieved on Tue, Dec 29, 2020
Nota Bene: Operational milestones are req'd for this tranche.
'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 50.4% (49th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short / Total Volume = 56.7% (54th Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt ratio was 0.46% of Short Volume (46th Percentile Rank Exempt)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 202101-11.png

QOTD: @Mo City "an exercise in frustration sometimes leads to bad decisions."

Comment: "It's hard to beat a dead investor in the long run..." :p

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Q - I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm interested in using my TSLA shares to fund the creation of a solar farm. Does anyone have any good info on what it'd cost to start one, how much space is needed, and how much passive income can be generated from a solar farm?

Little info: Solar Farm Land Requirements: How Much Land Do You Need?

I don't think this is an appropriate topic for this chat. Try the Solar energy subforum.

Additionally, it wouldn’t be where it is or possibly exist, without government loans either
It wasn’t a government loan, it was a private loan guaranteed by the government and paid back ahead of schedule with interest. You’re welcome(taxpayer who made money off the loan guarantee).

Is this guy just trolling? I recognize the name, but don’t recall any posting recently.

Vincent had that twitter post.......but honestly I'm not a fan of doing that. To just put a vague statement of soon without stating a timeframe or if it's his own speculation or from a inside source, just rubs me the wrong way with getting people's expectations up.

the source I know that works at Tesla mentioned he was going to be ordering a S or X in the next week or two. My response to him was "Exactly what version of the S/X are you getting??? ;) His response was “....”.

o_O

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67 and dl003
Is this guy just trolling? I recognize the name, but don’t recall any posting recently.

He regularly bashes Musk in the Elon Musk topic thread, and similar posts in other forums I occasionally brows through enough that I think it's a reasonable chance he's Martin Eberhard under a pseudo-name.

This article had already appeared on Teslarati.com (do you subscribe to their RSS feed?)

Tesla Model S and Model X lines to resume production in Fremont factory today

This quote doesn't inspire much confidence in the article author:-

The Model S and Model X are getting a bit long in the tooth, after all, with both EVs still using 18650 battery cells, the same form factor that the company used in its original Roadster back in 2008.

To be clear I think the refresh is happening, but there is 50/50 chance or higher that the refreshed version uses 18650 cells.

Last edited:
They'd do it for different reasons. Could be Energy, Time to Market, TPT, or Floorspace... I'm just guessing which is my point, we all are unless we work at Tesla.
You don't need to work at Tesla to know that aluminum castings will never be used for doors. Just the auto industry, or frankly any manufacturing industry.